General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from West Michigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-17 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Subject: Hello from West Michigan

I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now.  Decided back about a month ago  to begin training for a couple sprint tri's here in the West Michigan area.  Last year, I went and watched a couple very good friends do their 2nd ever tri at Reed's Lake. 

First, I was overwhelmed with the amount of people participating in this sport.  I was also amazed at the amount of spectators watching.  Having never been exposed to the sport before, I was kind of shocked.  As I was watching the competitors come out of the water and hit the transition area, I realized something - this sport could be for anyone who desired.  Yes, most of them were smaller than me (6'1", 240#), there were quite a large number who appeared larger than me.

Having already had made the large purchase, the bike, I talked quite a bit with my buddies over the winter about doing at least one this year.  They are encouraging me to do it, along with my wife.  Although I have yet to sign up for one, I plan on doing 2 this summer, both sprint distances.  The Tri Del Sol in July and the Millennium Park in August.  I'm sure I'll be here on an almost daily basis, learning everything I can about everything I can.

Take Care,
Kevin

2009-03-17 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2022920

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: Hello from West Michigan

Alright, way to be for making the decision to tri and welcome to BT!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who will help you if you ask.  Check into the other forums for everything from transition setup to post race nutrition.

Welcome, again, to BT.  Consider yourself invited to anything that the BT Michigan crew does!

2009-03-21 10:42 PM

Freeland

Congrats on making the plunge.  I Did my first last September in Tawas.  Although I sgined up just 2 weeks before, I finished.  I was about 263 lbs back then.  I have been  training just about all wintier and I am down to around 236 lbs.  I was wondering if there are any coaches in the Saginw Bay City, Midland area or in Michigan that might be able to help me with distances, nutrion and things of that nature.  Thanks

Jon

2009-03-22 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Kevin,

Welcome to BT.  I started doing tris last year, Tri del Sol was the first I ever did and Reeds Lake was the second.  At 6'5", 230 lbs., I was likely one of those bigger people you saw.  Anyway, I think Tri del Sol is a great first triathlon.  Last year, Gazelle did a clinic ahead of time for the first timers and they also had a beginner's swim wave which made things a lot less stressful for the start.  I happen to live on the lake where Tri del Sol is held so I am very familiar with the run and bike courses.  They both have some rolling hills that provide a decent challenge but its not overwhelming.  Perhaps I will see you around this summer as I plan on doing both of the ones you mentioned as well. 

Craig

2009-03-22 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2032515

User image

Expert
jwheat - 2009-03-21 11:42 PM

Congrats on making the plunge.  I Did my first last September in Tawas.  Although I sgined up just 2 weeks before, I finished.  I was about 263 lbs back then.  I have been  training just about all wintier and I am down to around 236 lbs.  I was wondering if there are any coaches in the Saginw Bay City, Midland area or in Michigan that might be able to help me with distances, nutrion and things of that nature.  Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon, I don't know specifically of any coaches in your area, but I did the Sanford and Sun tri last summer in Midland and it is sponsored by a tri team/club.  Look it up to find the team and I am sure that would be a great resource for your training!  It was a really well run event, nice course and a lot of fun to do!  I did the relay with a girlfriend to help her celebrate her 50th birthday!

Congrats on your weight loss and keep up the good work!

2009-03-22 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Cutlass454 - 2009-03-17 11:48 AM

I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now.  Decided back about a month ago  to begin training for a couple sprint tri's here in the West Michigan area.  Last year, I went and watched a couple very good friends do their 2nd ever tri at Reed's Lake. 

First, I was overwhelmed with the amount of people participating in this sport.  I was also amazed at the amount of spectators watching.  Having never been exposed to the sport before, I was kind of shocked.  As I was watching the competitors come out of the water and hit the transition area, I realized something - this sport could be for anyone who desired.  Yes, most of them were smaller than me (6'1", 240#), there were quite a large number who appeared larger than me.

Having already had made the large purchase, the bike, I talked quite a bit with my buddies over the winter about doing at least one this year.  They are encouraging me to do it, along with my wife.  Although I have yet to sign up for one, I plan on doing 2 this summer, both sprint distances.  The Tri Del Sol in July and the Millennium Park in August.  I'm sure I'll be here on an almost daily basis, learning everything I can about everything I can.

Take Care,
Kevin

Welcome!  This is a great place to be!  Sign yourself up for a race and it will be here before you know it! Laughing

It's great that you have built in support with friends that are already involved in tri's, but you will likely make many more from the BT Michigan group too!  It make racing SOOO much fun! 

Take advantage of all the great info on this site, and have fun training!

Edited by TrishM 2009-03-22 9:16 AM

2009-03-22 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Holland, MI

Alright...welcome to BT.  I'm from W. MI as well and am training to do my first IM this summer.  My first "season" was last year so it's been crazy!  Anyway, if you're ever looking for a training partner send a message! 

2009-03-22 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Kevin - welcome to BT! You won't be disappointed that you've stopped lurking.  This is a great group of people - everyone is extremely supportive and helpful.  And the MI group is awesome. Don't be afraid to ask any and every question you have - there's a lot to learn and there are some very knowledgable people on this site - pretty much any question you have, we've all had ourselves at one point.

2009-03-22 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Welcome Kevin.  I'm just South of you in Fort Wayne but did my first tri last August in Three Rivers.  I'm running the Borgess half marathon in Kalamazoo next month.  You'll find lots of good information here.  Remember to log your miles so when you ask for advice, people can review your training to help with answers.  Good luck with your training!
2009-03-23 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN
welcome onboard and good luck on training! train hard but not stupid hard!
2009-03-23 7:51 PM

Freeland

Thanks for the information.  This site is great, all the helpful people are awesome.  I ran a 5k in Bay City last  Sunday and can not wait to start doing tri's.  Now all I need is a bike.  Hopefully in the next week or so.   Thanks again.

Jon 

2009-03-24 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I'm looking forward to the training, getting healthier and having fun.  I made a huge step in getting healthier 2 summers ago when I quit smoking.  That's also when I picked up my road bike.  After 2 or 3 miles on the bike, I thought I was gonna fall over. 

I've submitted my registration for the Millennium Park Tri, but have not yet signed up for the Tri Del Sol. 

Craig, thanks for the heads up on the clinic on the Tri Del Sol.  I may look into that.  I do know that if I do this one I will do the practice run through they offer.

Take Care,

Kevin

2009-03-25 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT and a new lifestyle. 

I've not done the Firecracker tri in Benton Harbor (around July 4), but I've done Steelhead and will be doing it again this year.  If you're not racing,  come over, volunteer, meet a few BT'ers IRL. 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from West Michigan Rss Feed