General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Ride 14 weeks out??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-28 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Long Ride 14 weeks out???
I am training for the Buffalo Springs Half in June and was wondering about how long my long ride should be right now? Currently its at 40 miles and its making me a little nervous.

Any ideas how long my longest ride should be? Or how many miles I can bump up each week on the long ride? Or can I make up for it in 2 moderate length rides a week (2 hour)?

Any information woul be appreciated.

2005-03-28 12:37 PM
in reply to: #134735

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Long Ride 14 weeks out???
I'm no coach, but you do have about 3mos before the race. As you incrementally bump your long ride distance up, you'll be over 50 in no time.
Your question implies that you don't have a formal training plan to get you to BSLHIM. That strikes me as a bigger concern than your cycling mileage.
Consider how you're posistioned for the OW swim in a wetsuit as well as the hot, hilly run. Which brings up nutrition. Need a plan there too!
Now your really nervous, right?
Back to line 1, you have 3 months. There's time, just make sure you have the whole picture, not just the bike.
See you in Lubbock!
2005-03-28 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I started with a training plan, but it was a little overzealous, so I have had to go back and rework things. I'm pretty sure I could get through the HIM if I had to do it tommorrow, but it wouldn't be very fun and I might have to walk the last six miles of the half marathon.

I guess I'm wondering how many miles does the average triathlete put on their bike in a week training for a half? I guess time on the bike is more important than distance isn't it?
2005-03-28 4:12 PM
in reply to: #134912

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Have you looked at the HIM training plan here on BT?  That could give you a guideline on volume.  I also use Don Fink's book Be Iron Fit and Bernhardt's book on Triathlon training plans (forgot the precise name).  Both have multiple plans so you can choose your level.  That will give you additional reference points to compare with.

I'm not trying to avoid your question, it's just that the answer is highly individual.  In my case, I'm not even close to my high volume weeks.  In 2 months I expect weekly volume around 6 hours cycling, 5 hours running, 4 hours swimming. 

Your last question re: time vs. distance:  time is more useful for training, but our races are always over specific distances.  If you were to ask how many miles I'll pedal in those 6 hours of training, I'd tell you it doesn't matter.  Some of that time will be for drills that don't relate to distance.  Overall, it hinges first on the time available to train & recover, and secondly on my goals for the race. 

2005-03-28 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
OK, so I went back and looked at the BT plan again and realized that they weren't expecting me to go out and ride 80 miles 6x before my race to prepare. Its funny how when you are new to things you read them and then somehow exagerate them in your brain. It appears as though I am on track. Yeah!!!

Why does 3 months seem like such a short amount of time? I know why its because I'm nervous. My family is coming to watch me race. They didn't make it to too many of my regattas, but it appears that they are attempting to go to every race I do this year. Could it be because they are all in Texas?
2005-03-28 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Hey Jessi! That's great that you are doing BSL. There are a few of us doing it so look into our logs and feel free to ask us questions (Alpine87, cavu9, jldicarlo, grvfrog, splinter). I've already had nightmares about it, I'm so nervous. However, I think it's going to be a lot of fun. We'll have to plan a BT get-together when we're out there.
Gina

2005-03-28 9:59 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
I think I averaged about six to seven hours a week on the bike during my peak weeks. Almost all of my long rides were in the 60 mile range. When biking, you can't just look at milage, you also have to take into account terrain. I have a few 40 mile rides that are more difficult than some of my 70 mile rides.

Happy training.
2005-03-29 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Gina,
Thanks for the tip I checked out your log and I like all the detail. Looks like we'll be doing more than one race together. I'm in for Ironhead Dallas and Small Texan. The Small Texan was my first tri and I'm dying to go back and see how much faster I am this time around. I am actually thinking about going down to Lubbock to check out the bike course at the end of April or beginning of May if anyone on BT is interested.

I guess I'll just keep bumping up the time from here on. I've got to find some good hills.
2005-03-29 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
I went to school at Texas Tech and rode on the team at Tech as well as with the Lubbock cycling club so I am familiar with the hills, yuck. However, they are totally doable, just gotta stay calm, get in an easy gear and work your way up. A couple are winding with switchbacks so you have to be a little careful on the downhill, but it's not bad.
2005-04-05 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
I am currently training for the Pacific Crest 1/2 in late June. My goal is to ride one LONG ride every other week outdoors of 90 miles. The other week's long ride will be anywhere from 56 to 70 miles.

The rest of the time is going to have to be on the trainer. Half of my training hours are on the bike. Swimming and Running get equally divided the rest.

Note: I am finishing up my Base training in a few days. The next phase is still a little unknown on what I can handle. We will see.

Good Luck,
Randy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Ride 14 weeks out??? Rss Feed