General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To rent or not to rent.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-18 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Subject: To rent or not to rent....
I am belaboring the idea of renting a bike I am unfamiliar with to do a race in May.  I have been riding my mtn bike and I am researching intermediate road bikes to continue with this tri fascination.  My local bike shop will rent the Trek 2.1 but my concern is that I have been training on a mountain bike and then the day of the race to go to road bike....good idea or bad?

2009-03-18 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2025186

Subject: RE: To rent or not to rent....

Have you ever ridden a road bike? If you haven't, it's quite a different feel than riding a mountain bike or a hybrid, esp. if you're not a very experience cyclist. A mountain bike/hybrid is a bit more solid and stable, while a road bike is much lighter and can require some handling skills to control. They also go considerably faster, which can be a bit intimidating if you don't feel like you're in control. That being said - the basics aren't that difficult to get used to, so if you had a chance to ride it a bunch before the race, then I'd say, okay. But sounds like you won't. If the bike course of your race is technical (ie, lots of hills and such), I'd say stick with the bike that you know how to work. It could be frustrating trying to figure out how to shift and such on a nasty hill on a bike you're not familiar with, etc.

2009-03-18 10:12 AM

Master

IMHO, a road bike is a different animal than a mountain bike in terms of the handling, stiffness, and feel. I remember my first road bike ride after riding mountin for years, it was definitely a different feeling.

I don't know that I'd want the first time I hopped on a road bike to be in a race situation. Is there any way you can rent it more times to get comfortable on it a bit? Is it expensive? Can you apply your rental fees towards buying?

2009-03-18 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

The old saying of nothing new on race day is a good one,,,  like the other posted mentioned there is a considerable difference between a mtn bike and road bike if you have not ridden on the road bike before,

is there anyway you could rent the road bike for a sat/sun ride before your event to see how it feels, and if it would be a good idea??

2009-03-18 10:33 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I assume you are doing a sprint.  Going easy on a road bike should be much faster than going hard on a mtn bike.  If you can borrow a road bike for a few rides or do some test rides etc. then you can probably do the road bike for the tri it is what 12 miles or so?  The main concern would be just being safe.  Either choice would be fine in my mind as long as you had enough time to get used to the shifting and the feel before the race. (road bike will be faster, if you don't crash )
2009-03-18 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl

I am going to Ocala to demo some road bikes this weekend.  The rental is $40 for 24hrs.  Also, several members of my family have road bikes I could try...but none of them are sized for me.  At least it would give me the opportunity to try bikes.

I have been riding mtn bikes for years....then took 12 years off in option for a motorized bike....now looking back at getting comfy with a pedal bike again... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To rent or not to rent.... Rss Feed