General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shopping for really small person Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-28 3:58 PM

Regular
New York, NY
Subject: Bike Shopping for really small person
Hi--

Sorry to launch in with another bike-buying thread, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I need to buy a road bike. I've been using a friend's hybrid, but it has made biking very arduous and not fun. To top it off, I am realizing the bike is way to big for me, and I think is causing me a great deal of hip pain.

So, I started looking around online and saw that some manufacturers (Specialized, Cannondale) have women-specific bikes. I am drawn to this option because I am only 4' 11" and 107 lbs, but am I just being duped by a marketing message? Is a women-specific bike a good idea for someone my size and level (I am a beginner cyclist, and looking to spend around $1,000 or less), or can I do just as well with the smallest size of a regular ole man's bike?

Secondly, what's the deal with wheel size? Some of the smaller sizes seem to come with smaller wheels (650 rather than 700), and one model was advertising themselves as having managed to put a 700 wheel on their smallest sized women's frame. Is the larger wheel really better? I've found some conflicting views online, some saying if you are smaller its better to have the smaller wheels, and others saying you can't go as fast (I am sure I am simplifying this, but that's what I recall).

Thanks for any advice!
--Jennifer

2005-03-28 5:13 PM
in reply to: #134923

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
Subject: RE: Bike Shopping for really small person
4'11? your a monster compared to my girlfriend (4'9")!!

we just went through this. It really is a terrible experience. I'll do my best to help that.

1) Its all about fit. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. The hip pain could be a million things, but it could very well be the bike is too big for your biomechanics.

B) Know what your looking for. Don't let them talk you into a 45cm when it feels too big and they don't have a 43cm to try. We tried a Fuji, 2 Specialized, 2 Treks, something else (Bianchi or Lemond, I forget), and a Cannondale. We had the shops try different length stems (almost all needed to be brought in). First Trek shop wouldn't change it for a test ride, we left and found one that would.

4) If you have a knowledgeable bike friend, bring them. A third party will tell you if you look cramped, overextended, etc. Take the bike on a long test ride. Try accelerating, braking, turning, climbing (if hills are near by). Let them know you're going for a long test ride, as this is a race bike for you. Bring your clipless pedals and shoes, if applicable.

6) You may have to travel a bit. We drove over 350 miles looking for bikes, took 3 weeks. Be prepared. Do not fall in love with the first thing you ride. Try them all, wait a few days, revisit what you liked and didn't. Take notes. A small binder with spec sheets, articles, geometry, user opinions, etc. can and does help.

ii) No it isn't a marketing ploy, or it wasn't in our case. The male bikes we tried the step over was too much. She's be on her tip toes at a stop. The geometry is different, the bars are more narrow, the crank arms should be around 160mm, as opposed to the traditional 170+ mm.

D) for your size, 650 is the way to go, IMO. Larger wheels on a smaller frame can lead to some where steering. Don't believe me? Fuji's 42cm bike has 700 wheels. its way twitchy. Yes, 650 wheels are 'not as fast' but it is relative. I've read the 650 v 700 comparisons, but they always assume ('ass' out of 'u' and 'me') a 'normal' sized bike and rider. 650's accelerate better, are lighter, but ride a bit rougher, will not coast as fast. for you, its a non-issue, as the gains in stand over height, geometry, and steering far outweigh the need to coast fast.

that's it! After that: 'Ride Lots!' - Eddie Merckx
2005-03-28 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Try Terry bicycles http://www.terrybicycles.com--they are designed by a woman for women, and have bikes designed especially for petite women. They also have way cute clothes!
2005-04-06 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Global
My sister is 4'10" 90lbs with rocks in her pockets.

She also had some initial difficult finding a bike to fit her. She decided on a Felt. felt will actually custom build bike for shorter people. You do need to found a Felt dealer and get properly fitted. But, I agreed try to test some before you buy.

Its not a marketing ploy....the smaller wheels suit a purpose, allowing you to touch the ground. Plus, it won't effect your performance. My sister has top her age group several times now. If anything she is faster on the uphills because of her smaller lighter bike (not as much frame material) plus her light weight.

Good luck with the search!!!

PS I am looking to drive 200 miles for my bike.
2005-04-06 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I'm a bit taller at 5'2" but there were 2 Specialized Dolce's that were too small for me! It was so exciting to be told, "That's too small."

Trek also has WSD bikes (woman specific design) and I test rode a few of them. I would suggest NOT going for the smaller wheels if you can avoid it. The Specialized frame geometry is so cool, you can still have normal sized wheels even on a tiny looking bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shopping for really small person Rss Feed