General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AeroSpoke Wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-19 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Subject: AeroSpoke Wheels

So the Minister of Household Affairs (my wife) OK'd the purchase of my HRM (Suunto T3C with Footpod) from our family funds.  This leaves me with a lot more money in my Tri fund than I had expected so I am considering the purchase of a nice set of wheels.

I have seen Aerospoke Wheels on Ebay for 1/4 of what a pair of new HED 3 or other race wheels would cost me and am wondering if they would be worth spending my money on.  I realize that they are somewhat heavier than most (or all) other carbon wheels on the market.  I have also read that that are nearly bomb proof, which is important, because if I am spending the $$$ on wheels I plan on using them for more than just three or four races a year.  There doesn't seem to be any factual evidence about how aero they are, but the company claims that they are.

I was never really good at physics, but my thoughts are that while they may be h#ll going up hill, the momentum that they generate should make up for it going down the other side.  That being said, how much do you notice a heavy pair of wheel when going up a hill? I still have the stock wheels on my bike and have no idea what lighter or heavier would feel like.

If anyone has any opinions on this please let me know.  I would really like to know if I would be getting some real value for my investment or if I should give it a while and find a used set of HEDs (I do not think that I could ever justify buying a NEW set of race wheels at $2000+ Cdn.

I would appreciate any comments and opinions people have.

Thanks

2009-03-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2028882

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: AeroSpoke Wheels

I can give you my take as an Aerospoke user who occasionally uses a HED3 front wheel in races.  I also will qualify my comments as someone who is not fast either.

The Aerospokes are bombproof, and they are heavy.  That said they are still faster than a non-deep, spoked wheelset because of aerodynamics, on all but the hilliest of courses. Hed3 wheels are significantly lighter wheels, and are a faster wheelset than the aerospokes.

You can't completely dismiss the Aerospokes for speed either, because they are a very desirable wheelset for track cycling.  Im no engineer, but the concept of keeping a heavier wheel up to speed being easier than keeping a lighter wheel up to speed seems to make sense to me.  Aero trumps weight more often than not.

That said, I've had Aerospokes on my P2C for the last 3 seasons, and they've been reliable for me.  I feel that I have gotten more than my moneys worth out of them. 

But always remember YMMV

Edited by Doughboy 2009-03-20 9:39 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AeroSpoke Wheels Rss Feed