General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about aero position/ bike fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-29 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Question about aero position/ bike fit
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but some background info is necessary for my question to make sense.

Last year, my first in tri, I rode a Trek 1000 with aero bars. This year I upgraded to a Felt S25 tri bike and took the aero bars off the Trek--still train on the Trek some and use it in group rides with roadies. Both bikes were bought at a LBS, but fitted by different people. The seat on the tri bike was always a little higher (about 1 1/2 inches) than the one on the road bike and I was never as comfortable on the higher seat. Not knowing whether Felt seat was too high or the Trek seat too low and I was just used to it, I re-checked both (heel on pedal, leg fully extended), and in fact, the tri bike seat seemed a little high. I lowered it this weekend and rode the tri bike this am--much more comfortable. The only thing I noticed different is that now, when I'm in the aero position, the tops of my thighs just barely touch the lower part of my abdomen on the upstroke--I'm not overweight and I don't have huge thighs (6'1, 170#). Is this ok, or should I not feel this and get "re-fit" at the LBS? I'm about due for the dial-in on the new bike, so now's the time for me to ask.

Thanks in advance.

2005-03-29 2:17 PM
in reply to: #135231

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Question about aero position/ bike fit
I used Dan Empfield's method to fit my bike. See

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

This has worked very well for me and he covers the differences between fitting for a tri specific bike geometry and road geometry.

Brittain

2005-03-29 2:28 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
I use the Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance section on Bike Fit to help fit my bike.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884737706/qid=111212...
2005-03-30 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
PA
You might want to get a true bike fit (assuming you didn't at your LBS) where you get measurments specific to tri or road bike set-up. The bike fit should take about 45 minutes and cost around $100. I had one done by my LBS and I think they used the bikefitting.com system. In any event, if you get a propper fitting done, they will take the seat angle, top tube, crank length, stem & seat hight, etc. into consideration and give precise measurements for each. At the end of the day, it's all about feeling comfortable on the bike, so you'll likely make some specific adjustments to fit your needs. Good luck!
2005-03-30 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
It is my understanding that the tri position IS different. The seat is higher and the positioning forces a different stress on muscles. Or, I should say a stress on different muscles. The muscles being saved are the ones you will use for the run.

That was pretty crude...and very novice sounding. (hmm....i guess that about wraps it up for me).

Good luck and I will read those articles. I find the same thing with my thighs touching my abdomen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about aero position/ bike fit Rss Feed