General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sprint training and nutrition, extra care needed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-25 7:59 AM

Regular
Subject: sprint training and nutrition, extra care needed?
I am a long time runner (5Ks, 10Ks and a couple half marathons) transitioning to tris. I have started training for a sprint triathalon ( no date yet, just getting my feet wet.eat very healthy.All natural, whole grain everything (even pasta), lots of fruit veggies, beans, tofu and some meat (but not much). I splurge on sweets now and again. Should I be taking extra supplements or vitamins or extra care for training for a triathalon, even the sprint distance?

2009-03-25 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2038628

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: sprint training and nutrition, extra care needed?
Sounds like you're already eating well, no need to supplement that unless you have a specific deficit. Just make sure you're getting enough calories for the training your doing.
2009-03-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2038628

Subject: RE: sprint training and nutrition, extra care needed?

turnipgirl - 2009-03-25 8:59 AM I am a long time runner (5Ks, 10Ks and a couple half marathons) transitioning to tris. I have started training for a sprint triathalon ( no date yet, just getting my feet wet.eat very healthy.All natural, whole grain everything (even pasta), lots of fruit veggies, beans, tofu and some meat (but not much). I splurge on sweets now and again. Should I be taking extra supplements or vitamins or extra care for training for a triathalon, even the sprint distance?

Sounds fine to me. Many people agree that supplements are unnecessary. I take a multi-vitamin every day just out of habit, but it's not something I do "for" my triathlon training. Eating well, and using various training food (energy gels or sports drink or whatever) as necessary is fine. For sprints, you won't really need much in the way of training food, even. And no real need for fancy "recovery" products - a snack of protein and carbs post-workout is fine (chocolate milk is yummy and actually quite proven to be effective).

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-03-25 10:00 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sprint training and nutrition, extra care needed? Rss Feed