General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I done...forever? I feel I'm losing myself. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-26 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: Am I done...forever? I feel I'm losing myself.

I thought I had IT band sydrome.  Lateral knee pain, both knees, right worse than left.  Right hip, lateral pain.  4 or 5 out of 10 for pain at worst, but always there, and I can't train.

It's been almost a year.   8 weeks no exercise. 6 months no running, 7 months no biking.   Last fall I took 2 months off.  All winter I was at 1/2 my base training hours.

No progress.  Almost absolutely none.  I ice, I biofreeze, I ib profen, I stretch, I massage, I wear stabile shoes, I sleep more, I take vitamins, I try to stay positive.

I've seen 2 PT's, a chiro, a bike fitter, a general doc, talked to 2 pros', a yoga instructor, and now am at a massage therapist. 

I now have no money, have gained 4% body fat, lost 8 pounds of muscle, and my resting HR has gone up 5-8 bpms.  I figure I've lost 60% of my fitness at LEAST.

$800 in medical bills on my credit card, all savings gone (probably $2000 in total so far just this year).  As a student with no insurance and no help, I don't know how I can keep going to the massage therapist.

For a while I stayed positive: I'm young, I've got years to train and race.  Now, everyday, I slip into these deep horrible dark moments, where I just want to die. 

I have to sell my Mtn. Bike to pay for the therapy and treatments.  I can't go anywhere or do anything, becuase I have to save.

Which is fine if I was getting better.

What do I do?  Go to a sports medicine doc?  Will it make any difference?  Do I just wait?  Is 8 weeks not enough time?

2009-03-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2042573

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Am I done...forever? I feel I'm losing myself.

So sorry to hear about your struggle.

I would go to a sports medicine doc. Something is causing the pain and you need to find the cause.

In the meantime, can you swim? At least you would be able to keep your fitness up. If you are at university maybe they have facilities you can use. 

I would swim and/or water run and lift weights to keep fit. I think this would also help your mental state.  

good luck

2009-03-27 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

Not to suggest additional $$, but have you tried ART?

I had terrible IT pain on my right left for months, took time off, massages, sports doc etc.  Did a few sessions of ART... bang.  I have no problems with my right leg.

Now, of course, I'm battling a small problem with my left leg, but nowhere near what I had on my right.  You need to find a GOOD ART guy.

2009-03-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2043556

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
That really sucks.  I have had similar pain for the past year and it is hard to deal with.  I am going to be making an appointment with a sports med doctor my wife happened to meet.  What has helped me to this point is a tennis ball.  Twice a day every day I roll around on that darn ball in my hip area.  That combined with icing and stretching has helped but it is still there just a little bit.  Look at your shoes as well.  I tried several different shoes and finally had great success with Muzino Wave Nirvanna 4.  I tried Asics Kayano 15 and they killed me so I went back to the Muzino shoes.  Since I got a new pair my pain is almost gone.
2009-03-27 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

As someone else said, try ART.

If not, there IS a surgery.  If all else fails with ITBS the surgery is the last option.  I had ITBS for FOUR YEARS.  Nothing worked until the surgery.

You want to find someone that knows what they are doing...but a lot of times a surgeon will do a "special cash rate" to keep the costs down.

2009-03-27 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Can't you get health insurance through your school?

2009-03-27 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2043459

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Nipper - 2009-03-27 8:13 AM

So sorry to hear about your struggle.

I would go to a sports medicine doc. Something is causing the pain and you need to find the cause.

In the meantime, can you swim? At least you would be able to keep your fitness up. If you are at university maybe they have facilities you can use. 

I would swim and/or water run and lift weights to keep fit. I think this would also help your mental state.  

good luck

+1. These were my thoughts exactly.
2009-03-27 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You need a diagnosis before you get more treatment or decide what treatment might be right for you.

A sport med ortho would be who I'd suggest seeing. If they you to do PT ask them to write the order to teach you to do it at home. You are determined you can do PT on your own and do infrequent follow ups. 

2009-03-27 10:00 PM

Veteran
Have you been tested for arthritis? If you have seen all these professionals, and you don't have a specific structural issue (ie. leg length discrepancies) , then I am inclined to suspect a systemic issue. Get to the root cause of the inflammation. Food? Meds? Environment? Chronic dehydration?
2009-03-27 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: How do I stay positive?

Thank you all so much. 

Well, where do i start?

I can't swim.  Or, I should say, I couldn't.  I haven't tried in 4 months.  When I did, my knee would hurt from any kicking, even holding the pull buoy in my legs- I don't know what it was that made it hurt, but it did.

I should also say that I feel best right after I do something: like when I was working out, I would feel best right after biking.  RIGHT after- 3 hours later, I would be worse.

I started weights- all upper body and core stuff- several weeks ago.  Did 5 sessions (2 weeks?), and my pain started to get worse.  Don't know why- hovers?  Romanians? Dunno.

Go to bed, get up, and it's like a reset.  I always feel a lot better, as the day goes on it gets worse again.

Since I've stopped doing anything, I swear I'm worse?  Especially the last 2-3 weeks! WTF!?!!?

What is ART?

Shoes, check.  Used to wear Nike Free's all the time, always was foot gifted.  No I wear salomon Xa's becuase they're supportive, but still cushioned, and fit my high arch.

I have health insurance through the school- it covers nothing except emergencies, not even a single PT visit or antibiotic perscription.

I drink a solid gallon a day.  I each very well, even by triathlete standards.

I HAD a severe functional leg length discrepancy on the bike, it's fixed (I think) thanks to the chiro. 

I'm not going to have surgery, maybe if I'm still like this in a year.  I was once healthy- I should be able to return to that state.

I just don't know how I'm going to pay for a sports doc...so expensive.  Especially cause I know they're going to want to take x-rays, MRI's, etc.

Guess it's what I got to do.

What do I do to stay positive?

2009-03-30 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2045252

Veteran
Subject: RE: How do I stay positive?
"Go to bed, get up, and it's like a reset.  I always feel a lot better, as the day goes on it gets worse again." 

Auto-immune? This also sounds sort of like "fybromyalgia"..... which I believe is a symptom of a more complex disorder. I am not a believer of the latest therapy which is basically an anti-depressant. Perhaps higher serotonin levels help the pain, but this is not a good fix for a complex issue. 

It would be good to see a doc to rule out arthritis etc. 

Edited by energy7OMgirl 2009-03-30 5:24 PM

2009-03-30 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Also, look into Trigger Points.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I done...forever? I feel I'm losing myself. Rss Feed