Other Resources My Cup of Joe » To teach or not to teach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-30 6:47 PM

Austin, TX
Subject: To teach or not to teach
Not sure excatly why I've decided to post this here. I definitely need to figure some stuff out and could use some support.

For the last five years I have been working in a job that I don't usually enjoy. So, I spent a lot of time thinking about what else I might want to do. I decided that I was going to go back to school to get my teacher certification. I wanted to start last fall, but didn't apply early enough. I then applied to start this spring. But before I could quit my job and go back to school my husband decided that he wanted to start his own company and got laid off from the job he had (at least he had a plan since the layoff was totally unexpected). Since it was so soon after him starting his company I would have needed to work part-time at my relatively high paying but yucky job while going to school. After much soul searching and much angst I decided to put off my enrollment until this coming fall.

Well, I have been counting down the days until I get to quit my job. But today I get a call from the program that I had deferred and they say I need to let them know right away if I'm going to be enrolling this fall. They say they've had a lot of applicants and will have to turn some away. So now I'm wondering why my first thought wasn't - of course I'm going back to school this fall. I'm also feeling guilty that my postponement might keep someone from being accepted. Now I'm not sure if I want to become a teacher.

Why am I having all these doubts? Any comments or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by edgirl 2005-03-30 6:52 PM

2005-03-30 7:28 PM
in reply to: #135990

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: To teach or not to teach
Given your economic situation (husband layoff and that you are the sole bread winner until your husband's new company is established) with the fact that you are not sure about the teaching career, I would postpone the schooling.

I personally would apply to school district in your areas as a substitute teacher and see if you actually like it. Get a feel for the environment, maybe you will hate it.

What about night school?

On the otherhand, I would definitely try to figure out what you like. I've been in the IT industry for 10 years, and am right now going to part time evening law school to change my career.
2005-03-30 7:44 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Hello edgirl. I should preface this by saying I am a blow hard and am in all probability full of it. Having said that, it sounds to me you are not really focused on whether or not you want to teach. I also felt a slight twinge concerning the way you described the situation with your husband and his job situation. do you feel like his needs and priorities are taking the place of yours? How serious is your husbands "career change?" In other words, is he just moving from the last opportunity to the next, or is it something he is really committed to? How well are you and your husban communicating concerning goals and life direction? The reason I ask is starting a new business is exhausting and thouroughly time consuming as well as very expensive whatever the field. If you put off your dream (if it is indeed a dream?), how long will you have to put it off? If it is not really your dream to teach, are you looking for something in your life to filla void? Is that possibly the reason why you are not so sure about teaching now? Are you and your SO getting along?More questions than answers, I'm afraid....
2005-03-31 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland

You say you're in a yucky job.  You also state you put a lot of  thought into this earlier.  So, I say if it doesn't send family finances into a tail spin, go for the teacher certification now.  It's an opportunity.  It keeps you moving forward. It may open other doors down the road.  What's the point of continuing to do something that doesn't give you self-satisfaction, particularly if you have the wherewithall to do something else?  Good luck with your future choices.  I hope you'll be happy and successful in what ever you do. 

2005-03-31 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I'll throw my 2-cents in here. Teaching is a HARD job. I've done it, I very much enjoy it but its not for everyone. Its a tough job and you have to get used to getting your "rewards" in forms other than a paycheck - 'cause the pay sure as heck isn't much! Have you spent any time in schools lately? If you're not real sure about it, I would spend some time in there before committing to your own schooling. Volunteer for an afternoon or so a week, maybe even sub. Although subbing doesn't always give you the best picture - students tend to heap more abuse on subs.... If its where your heart is, then go for it. I think a serious heart to heart with your SO is in order...
2005-03-31 6:13 PM

Austin, TX
Thank you to all for your thoughtful responses. I have just called the program to tell them to save a spot for me for the fall semester.

After a heart to heart with my husband I realized that I want to continue on the path to becoming a teacher. I don't want to put off going back to school any longer because one day I'd like to have kids and I'm not getting any younger. I also know that going back to school after kids will be close to impossible. I know teaching is hard. I worked as a preschool teacher before going to grad school the first time and have plenty of experience with kids. I'm not looking for any easy job, just one that I like and on the days when I don't like it I can at least remind myself that I'm doing something meaningful.

In an ideal world I could just ride my bike all day and play with my friends. At least if I become a teacher I'll be able to spend the summer doing that. So the bottom line is that if I have to work I want to do something meaningful and enjoyable.

edgirl

P.S. tmwelshy - all my doubts were just PMS, oh well...

2005-03-31 7:25 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Good for you!!!!!!!!
2005-04-03 9:04 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Boy, edgirl, glad you made the choice you did. And Welshy hit this one out of the park...he was spot on with his reasoning, even if he is full of it.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » To teach or not to teach Rss Feed