General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Point tri Aug 16th Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-01 12:21 PM

Subject: West Point tri Aug 16th

Anyone signed up for the West Point Tri august 16th? or did you do it last year? I am debating this one since I got shut out of Westchester.

I really wanted to do another olympic distance tri this summer but I'm having a hard time finding one near by to fit into my schedule. I hear the west Point tri is challenging due to the bike course so even though it's a sprint, it might be a harder one than some of the others locally?

2009-04-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2054443

User image

Regular
NYC/South Jersey
Subject: RE: West Point tri Aug 16th
Hi Meg. I have NOT done the race but I have heard others say its a good race to do. Might be the only large race in the NYC vicinity that is not sold-out at this point if registration is still open.
2009-04-01 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
NYC/South Jersey

Philb posted this a few weeks back:

Another sprint you may want to check out later in the season is West Point (see http://www.usma.edu/uscc/dca/clubs/trit/wptri/). They don't have the 2009 details up yet, but I suspect it will take place at a similar time in August.

As you would hope, it is extremely well organised and it is amusing to see how courteous car drivers are on the bike stage when there are a couple of military Hummers complete with flashing lights and soldiers in fatigues patrolling the course.

Edited by philb 2009-02-04 9:51 PM

2009-04-02 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Did it last year and am signed up for this year too!  Year before last ('07) I volunteered for the race.

It is a really fun race and I thought it was a great atmosphere.

The swim portion seems really fast.  I guess maybe the bike portion is challanging, but it just so happens that my normal riding route is the actual bike course for the WP Tri, so I'm pretty used to the route.  The hills can be a challange.  The only thing that gets you is that you come down a one mile descent, level off and then make a U-Turn - basically losing all your momentum before head back up the hill.

I love this race for many reasons, least of which is that I live 5 miles from the start line.

I don't know where the registration level is at but a few weeks ago they sent out an email that the registration was over half full.  The money goes to support the Army Triathlon team - so it is definitely a worthy cause.

2009-04-10 1:59 PM

Veteran
I am in for this one too. Did it last year for the first time - course is challenging and fair but not hard compared to most courses I do around here (W CT).  I am lousy at signing up early but signed up and would be disappointed to miss it. I noticed that Men's Team and Clydesdale/Athena was marked as FULL on the sign-up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Point tri Aug 16th Rss Feed