General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training program needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-01 11:02 AM

New user

Berkley, Michigan
Subject: Training program needed
Just discovered this site and am looking forward to using it. I will be competing in my second triathlon on July 31. It is an 800m swim/18 mile bike/5k run. I did it last year for the thrill of it with minimal training. This year I am geared to train properly and efficiently. If anyone has tips on which training program might be best during the next 16 weeks, I would appreciate your advice. My ice hockey season just ended so I am in fairly decent shape, at least I hope. Any suggestions?

2005-04-01 11:35 AM
in reply to: #136625

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Training program needed
Welcome! I picked the 16 week run focused plan for two main reasons. First it was already set up for days that I normally worked out, so I didn't have to rearrange too much - I just changed my rest day (why have a rest day on the weekend, I have more time so training is easier then). I also picked this one because running is my weakest sport of the 3, so I needed to work on that the most. I'm 4 weeks out from my first (a sprint) and I feel well prepared. So, find a program or two you like on the site, and tweak them to fit your schedule and needs.

Happy Training!
slovegreen
2005-04-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: #136625

Master
Shreveport, LA
I picked up the book Triathlon Training by Michael Finch in late December. I did the Couch to Sprint program and my first event is next week. I was basically completely new to Road Biking, Swimming, and competive running. I mostly did eliptical machines, free weights, pilates, and a lot of tennis.

It walked me through not only a lot of different programs, but a lot of different ways to train, things to think about, equipment needed, etc.

I would suggest it or another program from here as a start. After my first tri, I am going to start a program for the River Cities Triathlon in August. I hope to get a heart rate monitor and do a program based on Heart rate, instead of just distances.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck.

Edited by mnewton 2005-04-01 12:01 PM
2005-04-01 2:38 PM
in reply to: #136657

New user

Berkley, Michigan
Thank you for the response. I appreciate your insight.
2005-04-01 2:39 PM
in reply to: #136674

New user

Berkley, Michigan
Thank you for the book suggestion. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training program needed Rss Feed