Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Allergy City!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-14 12:06 AM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Subject: Allergy City!!
Well, I was going to put this one in the "Food for Tri" forum, but I figured it might be kind of gross..In any case, I was forced to take the day off today because I had my third (and final) violent allergic reaction to crabmeat. I had sushi (california roll) for the first time since Christmas, (the last time I was ill was Christmas day--after I had eaten crab sushi), not thinking that maybe the crab had been causing the horrible, sorry to say lengthy, bouts of vomiting the morning after eating it; and then AGAIN last night at dinner on top of a veggie enchilada. Well, I woke up this morning with the most awful feeling ever--nasuea and beyond!!--and sure enough, my dinner reappeared over the course of about 5-10 minutes. Talk about not fun. Thus, I ate nothing but bread today, that and sprite. Kind of bad, considering yesterday was supposed to be my "eat whatever" day, but oh well. Sickness always makes an exception I suppose. I think things will be back on track tomorrow, though--at least, I hope so.
Anyway, I thought I'd share this small little set back with the group. Looks like avoding seafood just got a little harder for me...Has anyone had any experiences such as this? Pretty crazy when I think about it, but cool in the way my body seems to take care of itself.

~Dorian

2004-03-14 1:26 AM
in reply to: #12284

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Allergy City!!
I hear you. A couple of weeks ago I developed an eye infection contributed by contact lenses and pollen. Sucks not being able to train. Guess its glasses and allegra til the end of April.
2004-03-14 6:50 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hey Dorian,
my mother is also allergic to shellfish, and it took a long time to figure out exactly what was causing it.  It's mostly shrimp, but sometimes it is used as filler for stuffing so she just avoids all seafood, but not fish.  She can eat clams and scallops (mollusks) but just chooses not to because even if they have been near shrimp or lobster it can be a problem.  Her throat, airway, and eyes swell shut and off we go to the ER.  Good thing she hasn't eaten this stuff in a long time!  I have a similar reaction to kiwi of all things.

Hope you're feeling better!
2004-03-15 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Thanks for not posting in the food section!!

Dana
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Allergy City!! Rss Feed