like the job/boss/co-workers, but my client is an IDIOT1 Votes - [1.35%]
Oh, there are days & then there are f*&%in' DAYS!!!6 Votes - [8.11%]
It would be great if not for the stupid customers.1 Votes - [1.35%]

2005-04-12 7:47 PM
in reply to: #136897

Regular
Lancaster Pa
Subject: RE: How much do hate your job
I actually love my job as a paramedic and I even love the people I work with. My boss is another subject....

2005-04-14 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Townsville
I would not say I LOVE my job but I do enjoy it. I work with people with dementia and their families to help the person with dementia stay at home for as long as possible. Yhis gives me great job satisfaction. I have a really flexible boss and I can sort of write my own hours (with in limits) but the really bad part is the pay is just so crap!!! I have huge responsabilities for peoples lives and the pay we get is about two thirds of what someone in the private sector would get with the same responsabilites. No wonder aged care here in Australia has such poorly skilled workers for the main.....the pay is just not attractive.....I mean some kid at Maccas' would get almost the same pay but only has to serve fries and burgers!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!

I have decided that I am going back to Uni next year to complete and undergrad degree in Occupational Therepy. My wife who is an OT only needs to work 3 days a week to earn the same amount as my boss does!!!

Still ....my job beats working for Maccas!
2005-04-14 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
My job would be nice if I had any work to do!  I'm a policy analyst but there is nothing to do and I have 7 months and 1 day to go before I can retire!!!  Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhh.......
2005-04-14 12:46 PM
in reply to: #139807

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
sharonnagy5 - 2005-04-08 8:39 AM

I really like mine. Great hours, great money and I like the people I work with and I enjoy what I do....can't say that for most jobs I've had in the past, but this one's a keeper.

When you describe a job like that.....YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SAY WHAT IT IS, HELLO!....so the rest of us can jump on your bandwagon.
2005-04-14 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
I work in for a full service brokerage firm. I love what I do. I write proposals for companies that are preparing to raise money by issuing a new IPO or plan to merge with or acquire another company. I just wish I could find a position that paid more.
2005-04-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: #142537

Subject: RE: Tania--How much do hate your job
Tania - 2005-04-14 12:46 PM

sharonnagy5 - 2005-04-08 8:39 AM

I really like mine. Great hours, great money and I like the people I work with and I enjoy what I do....can't say that for most jobs I've had in the past, but this one's a keeper.

When you describe a job like that.....YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SAY WHAT IT IS, HELLO!....so the rest of us can jump on your bandwagon.

LOL!! I didn't think about thaaaaat.
I'm in marketing development for an insurance company. I know--you're like huh? insurance? But, the company is awesome....very solid...hours are great--and I enjoy talking to people....you have to REALLY REALLY REALLY like talking to people...'cuz that's all I do all day long. CFO's and CEO's all day long. Try to get people to meet with us. Hmmm....It's almost bonus time, too.

What do you do, Tania? I don't know if you said that above...I'm too lazy to scroll up to see. haha

2005-04-14 3:56 PM
in reply to: #142656

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
There we go...good girl! You're right, that doesn't sound too good on paper, but that's the thing...it's not about "the job", it's about the people. And here's the thing....On Monday if I read this thread I'd have said I love my job. But by Tuesday it was....I hate my job. My boss told me Tuesday he is leaving the company and I am physically ill about it. I work as an Administrator at an IT firm and the Managing director is my boss. I do HR and Accounting, plus all the fun stuff like planning parties and making sure we have some fun around here. This man is the best boss I have ever had. Five years ago, based on seven weeks with this company as a temporary receptionist, he gave me an opportunity that I totally did not deserve if you looked at my resume. And he has spent that five years making me believe I do deserve it, and more. He treats me with respect, even when I screw up..he made me believe I am smart, and he's the single funniest human being I have ever met, and at least once a day one of us has an opportunity to throw out some obscure movie line (....."and then..depression set in") and the other person ALWAYS knows what movie it's from....we just FIT, you know? And now, in two weeks he'll be gone. I have been through BOSS HELL in my 25 years of working life, and this man was my reward. I am sick people...SICK.
2005-04-14 4:09 PM
in reply to: #142681

User image

Buttercup
Tania, for the love of mike, check your PM! Please.
2005-04-14 4:19 PM
in reply to: #142681

Awww...that's a bummer. *hugs*
I will say a prayer that your next boss will be a good one! There's a saying..."People don't leave companies, they leave people." And that's so true. It's your soon-to-be ex boss that made your worklife fun and enjoyable, not necessarily the company. That's too bad, but I guess we have to roll with the changes in this life. Maybe he can take you with him? Yes? No? Sometimes, that can happen.

I think that within every company, there's good & bad. (& the ugly to fit with your "movie lines" hee hee) I think that if the pros outweigh the cons, then you've got a good job. I think that for me, I have to feel that the company is solvent and the people are pretty decent to deal with. Sure, there are those that you would never in a million years go to lunch with, and then there's those who you become good friends with.

But, ultimately, I won't let my job dictate my emotions. I allowed that in the past, I won't anymore. I want to enjoy what I do, and make a good living...but I don't want to ever "take my job home with me" (emotionally) anymore. If your job ever gets like that, it's time to move on, I think. "The experts" also say that if you're just starting to feel miserable...just on the brink...to start looking for a job, because if you wait until you're ultra-miserable, that'll show on your face when you're looking for a new job.

Anywho--I hope that things work out for you--you seem like you'd be a nice person to work with.
2005-04-14 4:27 PM

I intended that to come across as helpful--haha. I think I went off on a tangent. Sorry.

I truly feel for you, Tania, and just hope that you end up with someone who treats you with respect, kindness, and integrity. I have had jobs where I dreaded who I work for, thus dreading to go to work...but who knows? Maybe you'll get a great person (although this new person will be different) to work with in the future?? Either way--I hope it works out!!
2005-04-14 4:38 PM
in reply to: #142702

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Thanks for the kind words (and sympathy, which I always eat up). He can't take me with him, he's going to Chicago. I definitely do not want to go to Chicago. I have a similar philosopy about work to yours. Since I am not one of the fortunate people who had a dream job in life and went for it and all is roses, my job is just my job, it's not my life. I know people (and even more now than before, sorry BTers) who HATE their jobs and I think "Man, get the hell out of there". But for whatever reason, they (think they) can't. Not me. It is too big a chunk of my time to spend it miserable. I am remaining open to whatever comes of this...even if at first it seems bad, I will give the person a chance to be their best boss (sometimes people just need a little help, you know) and if they don't cut it, I'm out of here. I thank the stars for my husband who (if possible) was almost more upset about this than me and fully supports whatever I decide. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE MISERABLE PEOPLE! LIVE!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How much do hate your job Rss Feed  

of 2