General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From Runner to Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-05 1:02 AM

Subject: From Runner to Triathlete
Hello everyone.
I have not officially started triathlon training but right now I run 7 miles on Tuesday (interval day), 8 miles on Thursday (tempoish) and my long run on Sunday 13 miles. I also swim around 2000 yards 2 days a week. I am not cycling now but I plan on cycling at least 2 days a week soon. Being a runner for the last 3 to 4 years I have gotten a bit compulsive with watching my mileage. Do you think I can leave my running mileage where it is and still add the cycling in or is cutting my running mileage back inevitable.

2009-04-05 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2063362

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: From Runner to Triathlete

I'm a runner who picked up short distance triathlon last year.  I still run quite a bit, but I have learned to scale back my running in favor of biking May-September. Right now, I am prepping for a marathon, but as soon as it is over, I will run 3-4 times a week (significantly less mileage) instead of of 5-6.  I think a lot depends on how much time you have and how your body reacts to the additonal work outs.  

For what it is worth, I struggled with this concept last year, A LOT!  I tried to keep my running at 50-60mpw plus add biking and it was tough.  My running times were still good, but my biking really never progressed. Changing that this year.

The good news for you is you already seem proficient at swimming, my daily struggle.  Good luck.

2009-04-05 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2063397

Thank you for responding.
I suppose you're right. I think I will add a day of cycling and see how my body reacts. If I have to cut back the running miles I guess I need to come to terms with that. Its just tough cause I was thinking of doing a Marathon at the end of the year too. If I have to put that off then I will have to put it off. So much I want to do. I tend to want to do it all in one year..ha ha!
I guess I can be a little OCD.

Lora
2009-04-06 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2063362

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hi! Welcome! I am also a runner morphing into a triathlete. Have my first multisport race in May.  You can still maintain mileage but you might have to periodize. I mean, if you're not so great on the bike then spend a number of weeks upping the bike. Likewise for the swim. There are plans here that are "run-focused" that may help balance out your love of running while giving you some base in the other sports. 

Plus, there are usually 'easy' miles in a run training program that can easily change to bike or swim and you likely won't lose any fitness. but see how it works into your schedule. the other option is not to worry about the swim/bike as much doing the minimum amount of work in those to get you through. In my case that's not enough because I am a new swimmer ... so for the next two-three months i will be swim-focused.

I can say that I feel much fitter now that I am s/b/r - though my run has been high for the last few months because of my race schedule  - and set a monster PB in a 30k road race just two weekends ago ... best of luck!!
2009-04-14 12:19 AM
in reply to: #2065458

Thank you for your input and Congrats on the 30K.

I have a half marathon this weekend. After that I will try to figure out how I can (if I can) keep my running mileage where it is. I think I'll just start with one day aweek for now on the bike. I already swim 2 days. Feeling it out ..is the best way to go..I guess.

Good luck in your triathlon future.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From Runner to Triathlete Rss Feed