General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Obesity 5k - Charities Challenges Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Challenge Obesity 5k - Charities Challenges - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St Paul, Minnesota
United States
Charities Challenge
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I started my day very early – by 5:00 am. I had gone to bed early enough to enable a good night’s sleep, so 5:00 am wasn’t as bad as it seems.
I started a pot of coffee, then went to print out my registration, and check the weather to know how many layers I needed.

Our Temp in St Cloud was just 25 degrees, but expected to be slightly warmer in St Paul, so I wore my light under armour, a base layer shirt and my Tri top. I had a thicker pair of support stockings and my Capri running pants. I had my Brooks running shoes.

I had some coffee, then Special K cereal with a little protein and raspberries. Then I packed a few snacks including an electrolyte drink, a bottle of water, apple, banana, carrots, cheese stick and almonds. The day was going to be long, and I wasn’t sure when lunch would be available.

then, off I went for the 1.5 hour drive to the race. Yeah, I know.. I am a bit crazy.
It was 40 degrees when I got to the race, so the layers I had on were going to work well, along with my light running jacket. I had additional layers along for later.

Event warmup:

I did some warmup walking, hit a rest room, registration, then off to my car to drop off my heavy coat and take a swig of my water. I was set for the race. I was given #1 because this race was all about Rx Exercise – exercising to lose, or maintain that weight loss. I had the biggest weight loss there today. this was also my 3 year doing this race, so the organizers know me pretty well.. Actually, they had called me Friday night to make sure I would be there… LOL

At the start, there were photo ops for all the honorees – 22 of us with weight loss over 30 lbs… 7 of us with weight loss over 100 lbs! How incredible is that???

Run
  • 33m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good with the time of 33:56 for my finish. I ran most of it. Still walk breaks, but those are now being done at the same pace – so not a lot of lost ground, and they bring my breathing to a more manageable level.
Post race, I didn’t think much of my time, so I went to have some of my electrolyte drink, then helped myself to an orange. Then went back to cheer on the other runners.

As I was visiting with a few of the other big losers, I heard Gary announce my name as the winner of the grand masters! what the heck!! I took first place for all the runners 50+!! now, there were only 7 of us.. but shoot! I was the quickest??? hmmm.. must have been the cold.. LOL.. no really.. I was soooo happy to get that! How fun that was!

Post race
Event comments:

very fun, small community.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:56 | 03.11 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 45/
Performance: Good
then, we were off! now, I was using the pod runner 143 beats per minute pacing… but for some reason on that first ¼ mile, my legs felt HEAVY!! I was also breathing way too heavy.. so what was up?? well.. I was running with the speed of the front runners… (those guys that do the 5k at sub 20!.. not my pace… so I took a 30 sec walk break, then started back up after catching my breath and slowed it up to the pace of the music. whew! that felt soooo much better.
Course: First time around – doing good! hit the 1.5 mile marker at around 16:30. not too bad… kept on going… I only had a couple 30 second walk breaks on each time around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 5:15 PM

User image

Subject: Challenge Obesity 5k - Charities Challenges
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Obesity 5k - Charities Challenges Rss Feed