Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Anyone here done the Bigfoot Iron Distance tri at Harrison Mills? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-06 10:05 AM

Subject: Anyone here done the Bigfoot Iron Distance tri at Harrison Mills?
Hi, I had planned on trying to get a roll-down spot for IMC this year at either the Oliver HIM or Desert HIM. BUT thing is there's this amazing hiking/camping trip planned to the Sierra Nevadas from 8-20 Sep with my outdoor club and doing IMC a week beforehand would be a very very bad idea. There IS, however the Bigfoot Irondistance tri at Harrison Mills on Aug 8th which would enable me to have my cake and eat it too (ie. get to do my first iron distance AND get to do the hiking trip albeit likely still hiking slowly)...so, has anyone done this race or heard anything about it? I welcome any responses - even those who may castigate me for not "committing" to my first Iron race and putting hiking ideas aside...  Or if there's people who think I have any chance to do IMC AND the hike (haha, c'mon there must be some crazy person out there!!), I welcome their optimism too...

Cheers

2009-04-06 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2065281

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-06 7:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Subject: RE: Anyone here done the Bigfoot Iron Distance tri at Harrison Mills?
This thread is ringing some bells for me.  Maybe google the name and make sure. I'm thinking it was all bad news as far as organization was concerned but maybe I'm wrong....
2009-04-06 9:05 PM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
I've heard nothing but bad things about the company - be careful. There's a reason this is not a sanctioned race by TriBC. I don't even know if this is still going on, is it??
2009-04-06 9:13 PM

Regular
Maple Ridge
I would be leary of doing an iron distance race with this outfit. The small sprint race I did out there was a comedy, but since it was a short race there wasn't much danger in it. If you do go for it I would expect to be self sufficient and there will be very few racers along with you as I think barely 2 dozen or so compete in the longer distances. It's pretty bare bones. That road out to Harrison is windy and I doubt these guys will have much in the way of volunteers along your route. We had two guys and a line up of about 100 or so waiting for #'s and marking so our race went about 40 minutes late, based out of a campground with 3 total female bathrooms that couldn't handle the volume so 2 were out of order, 2 separate transitions with no secure area, take your wetsuit even though he advertised water in the 70's it was 58 when I did it in August which was wayyyy cold with no suit. I'd go on, but you get the idea. The hiking trip sounds fun !!!! How many days between IMCanada and the trip?
2009-04-06 10:57 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies...there are just 8 days between IMC and the start of the first hike (John Muir trail/PC trail 8 days 7 nights backpacking tents/food etc) with the second hike up Mt Whitney (14000ft+) on around the 17th Sep...I'm Australian and have been here 6 years and don't plan to leave anytime soon BUT in the meantime we have been trying to take advantage of any cool trips on the continent that are a bit off the tourist trail (this one is through the Chilliwack Outdoor Club)...then last year I started longer distance tri's, told myself I'd do an IM this year as kids may be in the picture next year ...and then up popped this dilemma I did meet one guy at the pool who said he'd done the Bigfoot tri a couple of times (and won) and was doing it again but when I look for it on the Net (and even the website itself) I start to get an idea that maybe the company running it is not so good...doh!! And it is so local too!! Oh well, no rush to enter as I'm sure there'll be plenty of spaces available - also the fee is $450 which is only $100 less than IMC so you'd think they'd have to justify that cost somehow...wouldn't you??

2009-04-07 9:45 AM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Contact TriBC and see if they have anything to say about it??? http://www.tribc.org
2009-04-07 10:51 PM

Thanks, good idea - I've emailed both TriBC for info and the Bigfoot triathlon guys asking if they can tell me what I get for $450...looking forward to their responses.
2009-04-08 10:39 PM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Keep us updated, I'm interested to see what they both have to say as well.
2009-04-09 9:01 AM

Here are the two responses:

from TriBC:  Sorry, - the race is not sanctioned by Triathlon BC and we are

unable to comment.

You may want to Google the race and race organizers for any comments from

those who may have competed in previous years.

Thank you,

Triathlon BC

from Bigfoot Tri: Thank you for the message.

The entry includes a finisher garment, medal, all pre and post race meals.

As far as sanctioning it has the same status as Ironman Canada.

Hope this helps...

Back to square one really as neither really answered the question, sounds like there was a falling out somewhere down the road between them though. Was having a look at Vineman as the last possible option though it may add up $$$; my training will obviously be a little behind but I'm out to get a first IM under my belt, not break any sound barriers...

Edited by Cherelli 2009-04-09 9:01 AM
2009-04-09 9:50 AM

2009-04-09 10:14 AM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
If you care about getting the distance, try silverman in vegas..
2009-04-14 9:09 AM

Well, after 2-ing and fro-ing and being really keen to do Vineman (I was thinking "west coast road trip"), I checked the work schedules and the only event that can possibly work(this year) is Bigfoot. Silverman looks interesting but November is too late in the year what with "family planning" and the hiking trip just 9 weeks out from it. So...although quite wary of the little information I have managed to gather from the event, I am signed up for Bigfoot. Hopefully the positives of 1. it being a local event so I can sleep in my own bed before and after the race  2. friends can come and support me and 3. it allows me to do this hiking trip in Sep -  will outweigh most negatives (such as lesser crowd support, lesser volunteers, maybe no special needs? etc)....one positive is that I emailed the RD 3 times prior to my decision with questions related to the initial post here and he did reply quickly each time. So...looks like you'll be getting a BIGFOOT race report from me in a few months. Thanks all for taking the time to reply and caution me where necessary, I appreciate it and will heed the advice. 
2009-04-14 9:20 AM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Good for you! Make sure you have extra water and stuff just incase its bare bones, but when you do it, make it your own and have a great time!

2009-04-14 10:29 PM

Expert
Denver
One word of caution, be very wary of raceday traffic as traffic marshalls and police will be non existant. If you are careful you will be fine. Best of luck with the event.
2009-04-14 10:44 PM

New user

I did sprint distance a few years ago and it was a rip off for the $. Not organized, no shirt as promised (it will be mailed - never came) no replies to emails. Bad rep in general in the tri community. I suggest to give it a miss.

2009-05-18 1:37 AM

this is what I sent to my triathlon club last year - we're in Seattle/Tacoma area so it might not be as convenient for you as it was for me
- there's some updates - like the price has gone up

I would do it again but don't expect this to be like big races

BigFoot Triathlon
 http://www.triathlons.net/
 they have first timers triathlons in Harrison Mills, British Columbia
> > 
good news
> > -it's cheap at about 1/2 the price of any of the Ford events -it has
> > space -the bike is mostly flat and only 104 miles -the run is mostly
> > flat -there was plenty of rest stops, water and food -volunteers were
> > encouraging and nice -the swim is well protected and shallow enough to
>
> > see the bottom at all times -there are NO WEEDS in the swim (amazing!)
>
> > -it's really low key and relaxed -they respond to questions in email
> > ahead of the race -it's really small field for the ironman -it's got
> > the same weather as the Puget Sound so no huge impacts for adjusting
> > to the weather -it's close so you can drive up the night before so no
> > jet lag and you don't have to box your bike for air travel (always a
> > plus!) -plenty of room in transition (I had probably 2 feet on each
> > side of my bike)
> >
> > bad news
> > -it started at least 40 minutes late and it was hard to know if/when
> > we were going to start (I was already nervous enough....) -swim buoys
> > weren't out ahead of time -the mats weren't down for timing at the
> > swim so someone was calling out times as we came out of the water and
> > writing it down -it has 2 separate transitions about 3km apart -there
> > is no bike security - there's no security at either transition (my
> > husband went and got my bike - no one asked him a thing) -it very laid
>
> > back - people were accosting me in town asking where packet pickup was
>
> > since I was wearing a Lake Stevens shirt - it took 2 hours to find
> > packet pickup because there are no signs, the people in the lobby at
> > the hotel didn't have a clue, -packets weren't prepared ahead of time
> > (but it's so small that they just give you everything when you find
> > them - and it's one person distributing numbers, chips, etc. - I'm
> > used to packet pickup with dozens of people and well organized) -it's
> > so small that there were times on the bike that I didn't see anyone
> > for an hour (and that made me very nervous that I was off course) -the
>
> > course could use more signs to let you know you're still on the course
>
> > -there is no shade on the bike course so if it rains or sun, you need
> > to be prepared -there are 4 wood bridges with long wooden beams that
> > you can get your tire caught in (which has happened and the guy has
> > plates in his wrist, he's the one that actually showed me the course
> > since they don't go over it at packet pickup) and you go over the same
>
> > bridges 4 times, increasing your odds of falling -there is no Porto
> > potties on the bike course -the bike course is mostly along a highway
> > and there's trucks but the shoulder is fine -be careful crossing the
> > railroad tracks all four times -the lake had plenty of mosquitoes (I
> > swim in a sleeveless wetsuit and had probably 30 bites by the time the
>
> > swim was done - I never thought to bring bug spray) -closest hotel is
> > about 20 km away in Harrison HotSprings and Harrison rolls up the
> > sidewalk by 9pm so get food early
> >
> > beyond the event's control
> > -it rained most of the day - lots of rain, pouring, driving rain -my
> > running shoes were soaked by time I got to T2
> >
> > recommendation
> > if you're laid back and looking for an easy course that's close by,
> > this has many advantages if you're expecting the organization of other
>
> > events, give up
2009-05-21 3:02 PM

New user

I have first hand experience with this race director and my advice - STAY AWAY! It's unfortunate that some race directors make a bad name for the really good ones out there. I know there have been several complains against this so called race director. If you want more information just talk to B.C. Athletics.
2009-05-21 5:27 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

I think she signed up already! What day is the race?

2009-05-25 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2166912

Yep, I'm signed up - so too late for further scare tactics I really appreciated the post outlining the pros and cons above. Of all of it my worry is more - porta-loos on the bike and those longitudinal plank bridges - I loathed the one at Oliver last year (in the rain) each lap...can't do much more than be careful and try to avoid getting the tires in the cracks(i'm going to Oliver again in 2 weeks to give it another go - love those RDs, now THEY know how to put on a fine race)...as mentioned my expectations are low, I'm training to make the distance, I have a friend or two (and maybe even my sister from Houston TX) running as support crew ....and that's about all I can do. There'll be no bells and whistles for me at the finish, it'll be a "long training day" mental approach, and my reward will be self-satisfaction. Everything else I'll just have to roll with....the date is Sat,Aug 8th...doh, Abbotsford airshow weekend!!! Guess I'll have to try and catch the Blue Angels whilst recovering Sunday...
2009-06-01 11:23 PM

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
I was going to do thier sprint as my first and I didn't have knowledge of BT nor any of the other tris and now its not even in my intenery at all.  I am no expert and just a beginner as in the B in BT.  Good luck on your Iron where ever you do it.

2009-08-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2188382

So...as a follow up to all previous comments: I completed the Full Iron tri on Saturday. Race organisation was abysmal; the bike and run course changed 2 days before the event (though in a way was a better bike - 4 loops and was exactly 180km vs being shorter in the past). The swim was approx 800m short (or else I am a world class swimmer getting out in 50min, you choose) but water temp good, water clear. 2 porta -loos total - one at T1, one at T2, a few bushes by the side of the road were privileged to have me visit them. Bike was along the Lougheed Highway - very dangerous, damn there are some rude, aggressive drivers out there. One guy pulled out at 100km saying the risk of getting hit by a vehicle was too great. The race director did not procure road permits for the event which concerned me should a car hit me - who would have been liable, me? The run was also along the Lougheed though at least I could run OFF the small shoulder in the looser gravel to save my joints. Anyways - overall I am very pleased to have completed my first iron distance race (bar the 800m of swimming - a shame as I was really enjoying the swim) - swim 50min, bike just over 7hrs, run just under 5hrs. total time: 13.05hrs. I was lucky I had my husband, sister and 5 friends with banners there to support me. I felt badly for the other TWO athletes (yup, the RD wanted his money regardless, didn't want to hand it back just because there were a handful of competitors) who had come from CO and Washington DC to compete as they weren't forewarned of the race' reputation. I'm glad I knew what I was in for as I just let things happen and it became my day, I was well-prepared should anything happen (carried my cell-phone on the bike). So yeah, doing what I can to discourage people from ever doing a race with this guy.

But damn I have to say I'm pleased to have completed what I set out to do!!! How long will this high last??  
2009-08-10 12:54 PM

2009-08-12 3:23 PM

Regular
Maple Ridge
Congratulations on going the distance !!! Great times. I'm so glad you had so much support in case there were problems. That is insane that there were only three of you out there.
2009-08-12 6:46 PM

Regular
Surrey BC Canada

First congratulations on an Iron distance triathlon, good time for your first iron too bad it was that badly organized.  Also did you say field was three not three hundred or three thousand??  Never heard of any triathlon that small of a field espcially an iron distance. 

Edited by Neilman 2009-08-12 6:48 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Anyone here done the Bigfoot Iron Distance tri at Harrison Mills? Rss Feed  

of 2