General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Oly Training Plan Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-06 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
Subject: Sprint or Oly Training Plan Help

Hi all,

I have a few questions about programs.  First a little about me….

I have signed up for one sprint race so far in late July and I am contemplating signing up for a few more.  I have also nearly been talked into the swim leg of a HIM relay.  I was a competitive swimmer through middle school, high school, and part of college as well.  I have been looking at the various programs on BT and trying to determine which one would fit for me.  Currently I can do a 2500 yard swim and feel good afterwards and I feel fairly comfortable on a bike.  I have yet to truly get out on my newly refurbished mountain bike (slicks added) but I have been on the bike at the gym and find that I can get through 20 miles of hills pretty easily.  The run is what’s worrying me.  I can get through a 5k at 6.0 mph which I guess is respectable but it does wipe me out.  I haven’t been really following any program but was looking at the sprint programs and the oly programs on BT. 

My concerns are that the sprint programs don’t have enough of the three to keep up with my current levels but the oly program (16 week 2x) may start off too intense in the run for me to keep up.  I think I can start the oly plan but the 40 minute long run for week 1 may be a little much. My main thought about the oly plan is that it starts out around where I am right now and is a good program to follow since it would help me work in the build and recovery phases.

I don’t want to take a step back volume wise but I need a structured program and some guidance in order to properly build, recover, and eventually taper without injuring myself.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2009-04-06 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2066029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: RE: Sprint or Oly Training Plan Help
If I were you, I would tweek your training plan to be run-focused.  If you feel pretty confident about the swim and bike, try bumping up your runs to 3 or 4 days a week (DISCLAIMER:  Only bump up your total mileage about 10% a week or you'll risk injury). 

As far as the long run, it's ok to run/walk.  Try running for 5 minutes, walking for 1 and keep yourself under control.  Slow down, if you feel like you're going to blow up every run you're probably pushing too hard.  If 5/1 is too much recovery, bump it up to 6/1 or 7/1.  If its still too hard, bump it down to 4/1, or 3/1.  You'll get there, you've got some time, so ease yourself into it. 

For example, if you can run 10 min/mile right now for 2 miles, but feel like you're going to die afterwards, try dropping down to 12 min/mile and go for 2 miles and gauge it from there.  You may think that you're going too slow, but as you add mileage, your endurance will grow and the runs will get easier.
2009-04-06 6:37 PM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
That sounds like a good plan.  I did look at the Run focused oly plan and it looked a little intense but I could give it a try. 

So I ran tonight.  I did a .25 mile warm up at 4 mph, 2.75 @ 5.7 mph, .25 @ 4 mph and .5 miles @ 5.7 mph.  This all totaled 40 minutes and then i did a .5 mile cool down.  So  I guess if I approach it that way I can do the 40 minute week 1 long run.  I think I was just so focused on the 10 minute mile mark.  The minute I bumped it down a little it felt better. 

One other thing is strength training.  I am currently a clyde and probably always will be.  I'm 6'2 and started this at 285 pounds and am now down to 263.  I have been strength training with a trainer once a week.  She is big into tri's but her strength workouts incapacitate me training wise for at least 2 days.  That seriously would cut into any endurance training I'd be doing and I really think I need to focus on the endurance part.  Should I bag the strength training and just focus on the swim bike and run?

Thanks again.
2009-04-07 4:42 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
One last question, I promise......

Is it ok to switch around the days to fit my schedule.  For instance, I would like to switch the long ride to sundays so I can have the longest workout on the weekend.  The only thing is that would put the medium run and long run on consecutive days. Would that be detrimental to any progress I would be making?  Also, I know that there is a swim and bike on Mondays on the BT oly plan but would it be ok to not do the swim and just do the bike since swimming is my stron point and I need to focus more on the run?

Thanks
2009-04-07 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2067468

User image

Regular
Essex, England
In a word Yes.
You can easily adapt the program to suit you just remember to keep a rest day and avoid doing long run and long bike on consecutive days. If possible I would split the run days with a swim or if not make sure you listen to your legs, if they are tired take it easy on run day 2 to avoid injury.
2009-04-07 7:51 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.

Thanks for all of the input so far.  After looking at the Oly 2x plan and going over my local YMCA Lap Swim Schedule here is what I’ve come up with.  Let me know what you think and if I’m setting my self up for a world of hurt.

Monday – Long Swim

Tuesday – Off

Wednesday – Short Run

Thursday – Short Bike (Maybe with a Short Swim but this is the Short Swim I was considering bagging)

Friday – Long Run

Saturday – Off

Sunday – Long Bike

Thanks in advance.

2009-04-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2066682

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
trinigen - 2009-04-06 6:37 PM That sounds like a good plan.  I did look at the Run focused oly plan and it looked a little intense but I could give it a try. 

So I ran tonight.  I did a .25 mile warm up at 4 mph, 2.75 @ 5.7 mph, .25 @ 4 mph and .5 miles @ 5.7 mph.  This all totaled 40 minutes and then i did a .5 mile cool down.  So  I guess if I approach it that way I can do the 40 minute week 1 long run.  I think I was just so focused on the 10 minute mile mark.  The minute I bumped it down a little it felt better. 

One other thing is strength training.  I am currently a clyde and probably always will be.  I'm 6'2 and started this at 285 pounds and am now down to 263.  I have been strength training with a trainer once a week.  She is big into tri's but her strength workouts incapacitate me training wise for at least 2 days.  That seriously would cut into any endurance training I'd be doing and I really think I need to focus on the endurance part.  Should I bag the strength training and just focus on the swim bike and run?

Thanks again.

Nice job on the run!  It's a very common problem to try to go too hard when you're first starting out and overexert yourself.

You'll hear a difference between strength training and weight training, but I wouldn't give up on the strength training, I would bag the weight training though.  At this point, benching 225 10x isn't going to help your endurance and you'll just be carrying extra weight.  I would focus on tri-specific strength training excersises as your trainer is suggesting (core work, legs and hips, lats, shoulders).  When you say incapacitate you, are you sore to point that you can barely walk or raise your arms?  In my opinion that may be a little excessive, but I'd raise that concern with your trainer.

And yes, go ahead and shuffle your workouts around, and as Pashda suggested, just don't put your long runs and long rides in successive days.  Life happens, meetings come up, kids get sick, just do the best you can to follow the plan and you'll do great.
2009-04-07 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2067646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
trinigen - 2009-04-07 7:51 AM

Thanks for all of the input so far.  After looking at the Oly 2x plan and going over my local YMCA Lap Swim Schedule here is what I’ve come up with.  Let me know what you think and if I’m setting my self up for a world of hurt.

Monday – Long Swim

Tuesday – Off

Wednesday – Short Run

Thursday – Short Bike (Maybe with a Short Swim but this is the Short Swim I was considering bagging)

Friday – Long Run

Saturday – Off

Sunday – Long Bike

Thanks in advance.

This is just me, but what I'd do is:

Monday - Long Swim
Tuesday - Long Run
Wednesday - Short Bike / Short Swim (speed work)
Thursday - Mid-distance Run
Friday - Long Bike
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Short Run

If you want to keep your swim endurance where its at, swimming one day a week probably won't cut it. 
2009-04-07 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
OK, so after a little revision.....

Monday - Long Swim
Tuesday - Short Run
Wednesday - Short Swim or Off as schedule permits
Thursday - Long Run
Friday - Short Bike (maybe can do at gym @ work) and Short Swim @ Y (as schedule permits)
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Long Bike

I can try to fit in the extra swimming.  i probably need to in order to keep it up for the HIM relay.

Thoughts?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint or Oly Training Plan Help Rss Feed