Supersprint
22C / 72F
Precipitation
Total Time = 47m 1s
Overall Rank = 355/
Age Group = 18-29
Age Group Rank = 53/152
Pre-race routine:

Had a quiet (read: boring) night and slept well. Didn't hear the wind that others who have social lives talked of at 3am.
Had no issues waking, gear was already packed and got down the toast w nutella easily.
Event warmup:

Rode down to St Kilda, bummed that my transition area was on a gravel path. Very unlucky! Laid down many a towel and as I was setting up my bike realised I only had one elastic to hold my shoes in place. Made my way to the Tribal tent and got me another elastic, ran back to fix my bike shoes properly. Put on the wetsuit and headed down to the swim start. For a warm up - really a cool down - the water was freezing. However it was as clean as it gets and there was only one dead jellyfish on the beach. Bonus!
Swim
  • 05m 54s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The number of people in our wave start appeared massive - in fact most of the waves starts were much bigger than usual. I was stoked cos I timed my warm up perfectly, no numb feet. I was in the second row, as I'm not strong running out into the water. Not really a problem but I did cop a few mouthfuls of sea water in my few breaths. Not happy about that. Congested to the first turn but I found some space along the back and for the rest of the swim. Exited the water and took a sneak peak at my watch, I saw my time started with a 5 and I was stoked. I was aiming for a 6 min swim.
What would you do differently?:

I could probably swim harder. Swimming's improved over the season so I'll just keep training!
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I probably took a bit of extra time wiping gravel off my feet.
Bike
  • 20m 21s
  • 10 kms
  • 29.48 km/hr
Comments:

It had started raining just before the swim start. Didn't notice it swimming! Riding along, the rain was like little pins in your face. The road was wet and I took both turns very very slowly. I passed plenty of people (4 passed me) and felt really strong. I kind of forgot to drink beacuse I was concentraing so much on handling my bike in the wet. My dismount wasn't ideal, I got out of my shoes fine but was a little afraid of swinging the leg over and coasting. I came to a full stop and jumped off my bike.

My aim was 20 min, pretty close and I put down the 21 sec (or longer) to the slowing for turning. Again lots of work to do over winter.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Ahh my runners were soaking by the time I got back to them. Took a bit of extra time getting the grit and small stones off my feet before putting my shoes on.

Happy with this!
Run
  • 17m 12s
  • 3 kms
  • 05m 44s  min/km
Comments:

I felt great, for me, passed a couple of people however, as usual, the masses passed. Even had it in me to finish really strong, actually break out into a sprint! 12 seconds off my best time for this distance, a little disappointing but nevermind, still 47 secs improvement on my time overall.

Oh there's a lot of run training on the horizon. Right after a bit of rest.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? There'll be none of that. Too busy getting gatorade, food and catching up with Erin (who did Geelong) and other Tribal crew racing in the Gatorade. I got to see Christine for 2 legs but opted for a hot shower rather than hanging around in the cold rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My limiting factor without a doubt is talent!

Event comments:

Its kind of sad to be finished for the season but exciting too at the prospect of having plenty of time to train and become a stronger 'athlete', competitor is probably a better word. Its been a fantastic season, stoked to have seen out the series and more. I achieved more than I thought I would and I look forward to stepping up to the sprint series at the end of the year. Bring it on!!!

Last updated: 2005-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:54 | 300 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/152
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course anti-clockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 16F / -9C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:20:21 | 10 kms | 29.48 km/hr
Wind: None
Course: Loop of St Kilda/Elwood up final turn around at Ormond point.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:17:12 | 03 kms | 05m 44s  min/km
Course: Out along the beach, back along the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-03 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Brooks fun Tri Race 6 St Kilda

2005-04-03 6:47 PM
in reply to: #137341

Subject: RE: Brooks fun Tri Race 6 St Kilda
hey casie,

great race! (especially in the conditions). well done on the swim bringing it in under 6 mins. the rain sure was stinging.can relate to the sadness of thinking the season is over. so love this stuff. bring on winter training, next november and the gatorade sprints.
2005-04-03 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
WOW! Casie!!! Well done - a great strong finish to the season in average conditions - you did SOOO well. I am proud of you and I don't even know you. I have one comment to make on your comment "My limiting factor without a doubt is talent!"
I DISAGREE wholeheartedly. I would say you have loads of talent! and dedication and motivation and the ability to get out there, when others wouldn't.
Rest up, eat your favourite food and then it's back into it - get training for the Gatorade Series.
Awesome achievement this season - good for you!
M

2005-04-03 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Hey Casie, way to go, you really are improving especially in the run (and the swim, 16C you got to be kidding me!!).

I too will be a bit sad to see the end of the season only because it will be harder to get out and train in the colder months. Good luck with your off-season activities and that build up to the sprint's next season.

Paul

PS It just wouldn't be Melbourne if it didn't rain......
2005-04-04 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

Well done on another great race Casie.It sounds like an excellent series of races.Your  times are excellent in tricky conditions. Good luck with stepping up to the sprint series.

May your path be gravel free.

David

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brooks fun Tri Race 6 St Kilda Rss Feed