General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody using Speedplay X-3 Pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-19 9:12 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: Anybody using Speedplay X-3 Pedals
Is any one using these pedals and if you are do you have a problem with them popping out on you? I think I have a bad set, and the bike is in the shop getting checked out at present. I have two other friends that are riding these and have had no problems, but I just was wondering if anybody here was riding them.

Still Tri'n
Michael

2003-08-21 10:13 AM
in reply to: #507

Rye, New York
Subject: RE: Anybody using Speedplay X-3 Pedals
I have these and can relate to your problem. I think the issue is the amount of float. When purchasing I was told that they are not as tough on the knees but in hindsight I don't think that would really be a factor as long as you're not pushing gears too big.

2003-08-21 10:10 PM
in reply to: #525

User image

Central Louisiana
I usually am just spinning and just pop out on the right side. I'm a little scared to stand up and crank on a hill. Bike is still getting checked out, hopefully it is just a bad pedal or cleat.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-09-02 5:58 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Just to give you an update! My local bike shop switched out my speedplays and apparently, I had a bad set. Road new set and didn't come unclipped for my entire ride.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-12-18 6:45 PM
in reply to: #636

michael it totally makes sense that you just happened to have a bad set. i raced on the x-2s for a couple years and never had a problem coming out of them, whether climbing or in sprints. i had a pair of looks before that which were brutal. the speedplays are the lightest pedals on the market and great for tts. the new zeros are nice as well bc the dont have as much float. although the float can be good for peeps with sensitive knees. jam those hills!
2004-01-25 9:38 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: New speed play pedals (and sore foot)

Michael,

I just got some speedplay pedals put on my new bike (Felt F50). I'm not sure if they are the X-3 pedals though.

But on a somewhat related note, after the 1st day using the new pedals (my 1st time with bike shoes (DMT)), I had the most incredible sore foot. I think I have a recurring pinched nerve in the middle of middle of the ball of my foot. It hasn't bothered me for a while, but those pedals really isolated the area and have me limping around today.

Have you had this problem ever?

And BTW, I actually made it through my 1st day with the bike shoes without toppling over on my bike!! Gotta say I was a little concerned about it...

Dan

2004-01-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4925

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: New speed play pedals (and sore foot)
Congrats on having a non-toppling ride!

I have had my shoes cutom fitted with my cleats at my bike shop and what they did was use an item called a meat cleat which is a shim that allows the cleat to be flat and my shoe at a natural angle. I had a problem with what is commonly know as hotspots on my foot and I would have some soreness the next day. Sometimes it can be like wearing a new pair of shoes the first time and it will be better the next time you ride. If you continue to have problems go to your local bike shop and tell them you need to be fitted properly for your pedals and they should be able to help you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody using Speedplay X-3 Pedals Rss Feed