Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-04-05 10:56 AM
in reply to: #137781

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: race fees!

Pictures...now there is a money-making scam!  I don't mind paying for the service of having a nice professional picture of me in action but the prices tend to be unreasonable IMHO.  Especially in the digital age where is costs virtually nothing to snap off several thousand photos and post them online.  Sure, someone has to sort and organize by race number to make it easy to find them.  And yes, it costs $ to make prints when folks order them but if I can go to CVS and make a 8X10 print from a digital file for $7.95 then it shouldn't cost $20+ for the same from the official race photographer who no doubt pays less for materials.  Hell I'm happy to buy the digital file and make my own prints but that even costs $20-30+...and there is close to ZERO expense to the photo people for providing the digital file.

2005-04-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: #138168

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: $75 US for Danskin Disney last year...

$75/13.75=$5.46 per mile.

Anyone who has paid $9+ for a hamburger at one of the theme parks won't be surprised to pay $75 for a triathlon or $100 for a marathon at Disney.

2005-04-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: #138168

Lucy - 2005-04-05 10:41 AM

400m swim/11.5 mile bike/2mile run. 

not including food, hotel, kid entertainment.  Everythign on Disney is jacked up anyways.

It was poorly organized.  Not doing again, but for some strange reason I'd recommend it for someone who wants a fun first triathlon.  It was not my first race, so maybe I was biased. 

'nuff said.

I paid 135 for St A's, my first Oly, and I know they put on a good deal, I've seen it as a spectator/volunteer several years now.  Race fee plus three tickets to the Friday night dinner.

Becoming a triathlete is a pricy endeavor, I'm seeing.
2005-04-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: #138180

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

sharonnagy5 - 2005-04-05 10:03 AM 

Cheaper than golf, from what I understand. At least I don't have to pay green fees everytime I run or ride my bike.

Better for your health too.

2005-04-05 11:09 AM
in reply to: #138182

Master
Shreveport, LA
the bear - 2005-04-05 10:05 AM

Cheaper than golf, from what I understand. At least I don't have to pay green fees everytime I run or ride my bike.

I was just about to say the same thing.

If I want to play golf, it is $25-$40 for green fee. Equipment cost, plus in 4 hours I don't get as much exercise. I also have to wait on people to find their ball, etc and that is frustrating. But for some reason, I still play (though not very often any more).
2005-04-05 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
As a bit of a non sequiteur I would suggest reading the Why We Ride post on http://japanrider.blogspot.com/I am a little envious of her take on riding.

Having participated in organizing sporting events (soccer and figure skating) I can assure you that while there is money to be made a big chunk of it is being made by the sanctioning federation if there is one, the insurance company covering the event. The events I have been part of we have always had to have medical aid on site - a first responder vehicule with staff - first aid station - then there are the extra costs like security (which may or may not be visible), venue fees etcetera. It is an expensive, complicated and often thankless undertaking to organize any kind of event so if you make a little on the side more power to you as far as I am concerned.

But the reality is that you do not have to race to be part of the sport. If you swim, bike and run you can do these things without participating in an organized race. Just as there are ad hoc running clubs there surely must be ad hoc triathlon groups that do it just for the fun of it. On the other hand if you want to participate in large, organized events then you have to pay the freight. If you find it's too much then to paraphrase Nike: Just don't do it.

2005-04-05 11:38 AM
in reply to: #138185

mnewton - 2005-04-05 11:09 AM

the bear - 2005-04-05 10:05 AM

I was just about to say the same thing.

LOL--I have not played golf, but have heard that it's pretty pricy, as well. Depending on the elite club you join, too--those membership fees are unreal. You don't sweat a whole lot with golf, from what I've seen on TV, either. But...I like to watch Tiger Woods from time to time. His "story" is amazing to me...he's been golfing/training since he was like 5???

If I want to play golf, it is $25-$40 for green fee. Equipment cost, plus in 4 hours I don't get as much exercise. I also have to wait on people to find their ball, etc and that is frustrating. But for some reason, I still play (though not very often any more).
2005-04-05 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland

Tris are definitely getting pricey, particularly the more popular and better organized ones.  But then, it's really never been a cheap sport.  At a minimum triathletes have to outfit themselves with a bike, helmet, running shoes and find (and usually pay) for a place to train for the swim.  The increase in fees was inevitable with the large scale organization of the sport, and the corresponding increase in demands placed upon organizers by local governments, insurers, lawyers, etc.  We've probably been getting a deal for years. Now it's time to pay the piper!

2005-04-05 12:13 PM
in reply to: #138018

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
weds19 - 2005-04-04 8:32 PM

" I think Timing and insurance eats a big chunk."

i thought that the USAT fees covered insurance for the event? although i guess i always just assumed that's what USAT fees were for so i may be wrong.

USAT buys insurance and then resells it at a profit to race directors. It's one of if not the largest source of income they have.
2005-04-05 12:15 PM
in reply to: #138215

Hey, watch it now...I work for an insurance broker.
2005-04-05 12:16 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Last year I competed in my 1st Tri and I loved it! I got so much into the sport that a friend and I decided to create a multi-sport management company a do our first sprint race this year in MA. At first glance it might seem it isn’t that complicated to develop a small event. However, when you start dealing with town permits, insurance, volunteers, sanctioning, and all the logistics necessary to deliver a SAFE and professional race all the costs start adding up very fast. You have to pay a town to grant you a permit and divide a section of it for the biking/running legs. Assure a clean water where racers can swim. Pay policeman to guard intersections and guide traffic, pay certificate safeguards for the swim. Have medical staff on call in the event of an emergency. Convince and motivate 30 or more individuals (depending on the race size) who will volunteer and work for just a T-shirt and free refreshments to help you foreseen the racers safety. Invest in different venues to promote your race and offer something different for your participants. Convince sponsors to believe in your race versus the other 100s out there, etc. After dealing with all these elements I can tell you that even when a fee of $50.00 for a sprint might seem a bit high it really isn’t. Of course it is a Race Director’s responsibility to deliver a well organized and safe race. And as a participant you should always expect/demand that for your entry fee, whether it is $40.00 or $100.00. I definitely think a $95.00 fee for a sprint race is excessive, but it is up to you to determine if the race is good value or not. Research the race website. Email the race directors with every single question you might have. If it is a new race, check if it will be USAT sanctioned, and even contact the USAT region coordinator. If it isn’t new look for feedback from previous participants, etc. For our fortune the sport is growing by the day and there are several great choices out there. The most important thing as a racer is for you to finish your event safe, with a big smile (if possible) and with a lot of new friends. As new race directors those are our race priorities.

Though our race concept and most logistics had been already established, we are still seeking to get as much feedback as possible from fellow athletes so we can deliver the best possible beginner friendly race. This thread is awesome feedback for me and I want to take this opportunity to invite you to check out our website and share with us any ideas/comments or suggestions. This is our race website: www.3way-racing.com

Some of the things we want to make different is to have a life lane and extra safe guards through out the swim leg to make it less intimidating. Also we’ll include a beginner’s wave (which is not new but it is a great concept). All athletes will wear race number, name tags (so people can cheer up for you throughout the race and break the ice), your age group as usual and either the letter “S” for singles or ‘T” for taken (for those athletes want to mingle)

For prices the top finishers will receive gift certificates from stores such as Tri-zone, aqua sphere, Fuel Belt, Fitness Centers, sports basement, local bike stores, etc. so winners can choose their own price. We’ll offer the classic T-shirt, medals and a goodie bag filled with samples of different products that you can use instead of just a brochure's goodie bag!

We’ll offer 2 post race socials, one right after the race with food & music, and a post-race night party where participants will be able to celebrate their great accomplishment. During this party we want to reward some of those participants who didn’t finish first but still are winners with fun prices and a raffle. Some ideas are: the coolest female and male tri outfit, the best female and male beginner performance, etc. We need more suggestions for the rewards!

Any ideas, suggestions; critics and/or comments are welcome.

Last but not least, remember that there are several races through out the year for you to pick. So don’t settle for any race. After all we are all training very hard for several months to accomplish our goal and we should expect to receive the best possible experience during race day!

Jorge

2005-04-05 12:19 PM
in reply to: #138152

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
joeinco - 2005-04-05 9:10 AM

Unfortunately, by NOT entering a given race, we'll end up with less races, as directors will deem it NOT fiscally feasible to continue promoting a race that loses money.  Unless more sponsors jump on board to help.

No, I disagree. Support the good/reasonable races like crazy. Evangelize, support, volunteer, etc. Really help the good ones make money. But don't give ANY money to bad race directors, poor courses, etc. That's how capitalism works. Supposedly.
2005-04-05 12:32 PM
in reply to: #138176

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
TH3_FRB - 2005-04-05 9:56 AM

Pictures...now there is a money-making scam!  I don't mind paying for the service of having a nice professional picture of me in action but the prices tend to be unreasonable IMHO.  Especially in the digital age where is costs virtually nothing to snap off several thousand photos and post them online.  Sure, someone has to sort and organize by race number to make it easy to find them.  And yes, it costs $ to make prints when folks order them but if I can go to CVS and make a 8X10 print from a digital file for $7.95 then it shouldn't cost $20+ for the same from the official race photographer who no doubt pays less for materials.  Hell I'm happy to buy the digital file and make my own prints but that even costs $20-30+...and there is close to ZERO expense to the photo people for providing the digital file.

If everyone got a photo, the cost would be very reasonable. In fact including it for $5 as part of the race fee would be a good idea. Unfortunately, so few people buy them, you're paying through the nose. Photographer has to travel at his expense, shoot all day, publish online, all without any income. It's a crap shoot. Maybe he'll make a killing. Maybe not.

My kids did a fun run that cost me $10/kid. They got a T-shirt, some freebie coupons for smoothies, and a DVD covering the entire run (pre-race, not post). The photos were going to cost as much as the race, and were lousy (most race photos suck, IMO. Most of us probably could get better images from photos taken by a spouse or friend). The run made $4500 for charity. There was a chip timed event for adults with I think less than 400 people. 200 volunteers, tons of inflatable kids play areas, food, etc. It can be done, but this course required no city involvement at all, no intersections to monitor, yada yada. course choice is crucial to cost.
2005-04-05 12:43 PM
in reply to: #138218

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
amiine - 2005-04-05 11:16 AM
We’ll offer 2 post race socials, one right after the race with food & music, and a post-race night party where participants will be able to celebrate their great accomplishment. During this party we want to reward some of those participants who didn’t finish first but still are winners with fun prices and a raffle. Some ideas are: the coolest female and male tri outfit, the best female and male beginner performance, etc. We need more suggestions for the rewards!

It seems lately that people really don't want to hang around after a race. The action is the night before if the event is a big one, or some sort of ongoinig thing while waiting for the event to finish. Some important things I've noticed: Guard Transition area like fort Knox. Some races are very lax with security, allowing anyone to walk in and off with gear. have a GOOD announcer who can rally help keep things upbeat. Well marked course. make it family friendly with activities for kids, and advertise this so people know it will be there. I'd love to see an actual safe, secure kids area with wrist bands and proper babysitters so people could bring their kids and leave them safely durin gthe race if their spouse can't make it, but I suppose the risk there is kind of big. Multiple lap courses are best at inviting lots of fans. Nothing worse than coming to watch a race and seeing your loved one only briefly at T1. Give out a good survey that gives useful info to the local municipality, and to ensure it gets filled out, use it and not race numbers to draw prize giveaways from. Data is king.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race fees! Rss Feed  

of 2