General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Minneapolis Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-13 6:26 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Hello from Minneapolis
Hello everyone,

My name is Alex, I am from Minneapolis, Minnesota and am interested (seriously) in getting involved with doing triathlons.  I have done many sports in the past, with the most recent being mid-distance / sprinting in track and field.  I am now in my sophmore year of college at the University of Minnesota and am looking for something that I can do to achieve even better physical condition and create a lifestyle for myself doing something that I can continue for many years to come. (Track and field eventually does have an end).  I am excited to engage in the competition and brutal workouts to become the best I can be.  I am a very dedicated person and have always done very well in sports.  Running and Biking will not be my main worry at the begining, I really need help figuring out how to do the swimming part of the triathlon.  Even though, of course, I am always looking for help and ways to improve in both the cycling and running portions too.

Any tips for how to learn to swim 1/4 mile on up?  I have never really been taught how to swim, just kind of picked it up on my own.  I can swim decent just not sure I can go that far.

Thanks, and I hope to be visiting here a lot!

2009-04-14 12:06 AM
in reply to: #2081925

User image

Regular
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Hello from Minneapolis
Welcome to BT! This site has lots of good and valuable info on it as well as tons of inspirational and very cool people. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask, you will get answers. I would suggest that you take some swimming lessons.....technique is king when it comes to swimming in triathlons and you will learn technique from taking beginners swim lessons. Focus on your weakest sport first, then get a training plan and start working it. Next, sign up for a race later this year, once you have made the commitment to do a tri, you can set goals for yourself and your training will help you achieve those goals.  Good luck in your tri endeavors!!
2009-04-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2081925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: Hello from Minneapolis
Welcome to BT!

First off, MN has a great tri scene. Come on over to the MN forum.

Many of the folks here started out dreading the swim. [Many minus a few] have progressed to the point that they at least dread it a little less. The above advice on focusing on tecnique is spot-on. Get lessons from someone that understands your needs.

Not sure how the lessons are set up, but you are lucky to have access to some of the best swimming facilities in the country at the U. I would start there. Beyond that, the local YWCA (that's YWCA not YMCA) offers Total Immersion instruction (do a forum search on BT), and many on their aquatics staff are closely involved in the local tri community.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Minneapolis Rss Feed