General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st tri.....errr..duathlon done! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-16 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Subject: 1st tri.....errr..duathlon done!
Well, I just came back from my 1st "triathlon."  I am so happy I did it, yet a little dissappointed in it.  It was a mini-sprint.  We all went down to the beach and stood by the water.  Our turn around bouy was a blow up alligator..which I thoguht ironic since I was was afraid to encounter one in the water.

Anyhow, the race started at 6pm.  I made it there with plenty of time to get things set up and to walk around a bit, even hit the restroom.  I went down to the start line and waited for the race to start.  When they called the women we were up.  Off we took.  The problem was..............the water never made it more then 3 ft deep.  Everyone ran the .25 miles...this was exhausting in the water.  There was a good chop since we had 20mph winds out there.  I was so happy to get out of the water (I like to swim...not run in the water) and it was a .25 mile run to the transition area, half of it in sand.

Transistion 1 went very well.  I had a bottle of water on the bike I took and rinsed me feet before putting on my sneakers, grabbing the helmet and bike and was on my way.  I was about mid pack at this point.  We (sister and I) took off and started riding.  I lacked energy in my legs from the water and sand run.  I didnt get a really good start but made headway, passing a few people in the beginning.  As we headed for the 3 mile snake winding climb up the hill, I downshifted.  My sister laughed b/c she said she could see me stop on the shift, maybe even roll backwards on my mountain bike with nubby tires.  I made my way up the hill passing 2 more people.  We did the turn around and headed back.  On the climb we were facing into the 20mph winds.  On the way back I thought I would use it to my advantage and pick up some spped on the downhill....hitting 32.6mph....and closing in on a rider in front of me.  I did catch her and pass her....my issue on this was there was a car blocking my path talking to her for about a mile fo the course.....are they allowed to do that???  I feel bad b/c I told my sister to shut up and leave me about 10 times on the bike.  She was breaking my concentration talking to be.  I count stay focused on my plan.

OK...into transition 2...I was fast since all I had to do was drop off my bike.  Mind you...I have drank nothing yet.  I have an issue with running, as big as I am.  Last time I ran, i got some bad shin splints and havent really worked on my endurance.  So, in the running portion, i was passed by a few...but not as many as I passed.....which brings me to my question in a bit.  My sister stayed with me the whole time.  I did see people with ear phones in....I tought they weren't allowed.  I talked the entire run portion as I didnt trust my legs and didnt want to get shin splints again before my race next month. 

The guy came and picked up the turn around cone behind us and followed...  As another person came up to he dropped the cone, cutting thier course about .25 miles.  She was jogging, so she caught up and passed us.  We were the last racers in....this is where I was disappointed.  I didnt want to be last...but I was there.  I know there was a couple DNFs but still...that's the part that bothered me....besides the swim

I am overall happy to have the experience and have a goal for next month.  I need to back my focus off swimming and now look at my riding and I need to try running again.  I do it on the treadmill and elliptical at the gym....but I think it's time I hit the track.

I did learn that I need to rememeber to drink.  I didn't even have a sip of water the whole time.  I also learned I WANT a road bike....like yesterday!!!!

2009-04-16 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2090389

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Subject: RE: 1st tri.....errr..duathlon done!
Oh...and for the ladies....I started my cycle today.....no worries about it though...I just get tired on the 1st 2 days...but I dont think that effected my performance at all.

Oh yeah...finished in 1:11

Edited by DolphinGirlMB 2009-04-16 9:36 PM
2009-04-16 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

Excellent, good job!  Too bad about the swim leg, but at least it was the same for everyone...

2009-04-16 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2090417

User image

Master
congrats on your race!  OK, it wasn't the tri you wanted, but you got your feet wet (hehe) and have learned a few things.  One of them being that this RD is not one you want to have managing your "A" races!

Go shop Craigslist for that new-to-you bike!
2009-04-16 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Yeah!!! Congratulations triathlete! You got in water, therefore you qualify in my book Doesn't matter if you were last, you were there, how many didn't even toe the line? You ROCK!
2009-04-17 2:22 AM

User image

DFL>DNF>DNS You did one, woohooo!! Congrats!

2009-04-17 5:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

DolphinGirlMB - 2009-04-16 10:13 PM ....my issue on this was there was a car blocking my path talking to her for about a mile fo the course.....are they allowed to do that???

I don' t know if it's allowed, but it happened to me too. I passed the car. On the left, of course.

2009-04-17 6:21 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
You were out there.  You raced.  You finished.  Congrats!!
2009-04-17 7:38 AM

Master
Congratulations!

Too bad about the swim, seems like poor planning to have it at a lake that's 3 feet deep. Also changing the course in the middle of the race? That makes even less sense?
2009-04-17 8:16 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

The first one is always the hardest! Good job for finishing! You rock!

2009-04-17 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
Good job!!!!

2009-04-17 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Congratulations! Yeah, had a bit of shallows on a couple of swims, though only in the beginning. Walked to the first buoy during a HIM last year. I'm a bit surprised the race organizers didn't change the course a bit, though. 32.6 mph downhill on a mountain bike with the wind? Impressive! About a few of your questions, was the race goverend according to USAT rules? If this was the Lake Louisa Sprint you have listed, it looks like from the registration form that it was, but I wasn't quite sure. Anyway, sounds like the USAT rules weren't being enforced very well if they were being used (BTW, the no drafting rule is unfortunately often reportedly broken by AG folks on IM events). I would say the no headphones, possibly obstruction, and unauthorized assistance rules were broken from your description. And if this was by USAT rules, you're allowed to protest violations. If the guy who moved the cone wasn't a race official, I definitely would've protested that as unauthorized assistance (might've cried foul anyway). If nothing else, I would've emailed the race director about that (you still can). I usually provide feedback to the directors of their races, good and bad. It sometimes helps for a better event in following years.

Since you're entered in other USAT-sanctioned events, I would suggest you check out the list of the rules and common ones violated at this link:

http://triathlon.teamusa.org/content/index/1684

BTW, it sounded like you might've been riding side-by-side with your sister during the event at times. Just to be aware during USAT-sanctioned events, riding side-by-side for any length of time (longer than 15 sec for passing) would be an obstruction violation. Usually during the bigger events, there are motocycle referees checking for violations on the bike course and drafting/obstruction are the two most common ones.

Good luck with the rest of your season, Triathlete Mary!

Edited by sbrdave 2009-04-17 9:41 AM
2009-04-17 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Thanks all.  Yes, this was a USAT sanctioned event...rather loose though.  There was no one on course watching things.  It was super laid back.  The cone was moved by the USAT guy as it was nearing the end of the race and theyneeded to start packing things up before the park closed.  Oh well....

I learned a lot...funny thing is...the only thing that hurts on me today is the arch of my right foot...I didnt run, so i am not sure why???
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st tri.....errr..duathlon done! Rss Feed