General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Southboro/Hopkinton area bike routes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-17 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Southboro/Hopkinton area bike routes?

Hi Everyone - I'm going to be in MA this weekend and need to fit in a quick 1 hr 45 min ride tonight, along with a shortish brick tomorrow.  My family lives in Southboro and I lived in Ashland for several years, so I'm pretty familiar with the area - however, I never cycled when I lived there..so I'm looking for a couple of good routes for the bf & I to check out.  He's a very advanced cyclist and this is only going to be my 3rd ride off the trainer this year - but I'm a good climber, not afraid of the hills.  Would anyone be able to recommend a good route for us to take? We'd be launching from over by Hopkinton State Park, coming up Rte. 85 there...I really appreciate any ideas you have.  I'd also love to show him Walden Pond, so anything over in Sudbury way would be cool too.  I should add, I'm a little leary of intersections, so country roads are very welcome...I have a little, ahem, falling issue.  THANKS!!

2009-04-17 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2091415

User image

Veteran
Charlestown
Subject: RE: Southboro/Hopkinton area bike routes?
Hopkinton State Park is the site of the NE Season Opener at the beginning of May.  You could loop the bike course as one option (http://www.maxperformanceonline.com/pdfs/NE_Season_Opener_Bike_Map_09.pdf).  A bunch of BTers road this loop a couple weeks back and it was great!  Big uphill over multiple miles and a massive downhill where you can go 40+

It's a 15 mile course so doing a couple loops would get you there.  Might be good for the brick though - you could park in the State Park, ride a loop or two and then run the roads in the park or do an out and back on the road.  Good luck!
2009-04-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2091578

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

whynot-tri - 2009-04-17 11:51 AM Hopkinton State Park is the site of the NE Season Opener at the beginning of May.  You could loop the bike course as one option (http://www.maxperformanceonline.com/pdfs/NE_Season_Opener_Bike_Map_09.pdf).  A bunch of BTers road this loop a couple weeks back and it was great!  Big uphill over multiple miles and a massive downhill where you can go 40+

It's a 15 mile course so doing a couple loops would get you there.  Might be good for the brick though - you could park in the State Park, ride a loop or two and then run the roads in the park or do an out and back on the road.  Good luck!

This is a great route, but it crosses the starting line and my guess it's going to be real busy there the next couple of days.  The positive thing is that most people on the road are expecting the conjestion.  Good luck.

2009-04-17 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
That is a good route - part of that we've been on before & it is a nice ride - question: what happens if I a left out of the park, heading up towards 135 and cross over 135, staying on, I think that's 85..is that a good road? Good call on the marathon congestion...
2009-04-17 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlestown
If you take a left out of the park, you get to ride up the big hill that gets you 40mph+ on the downhill haha.  Honestly, that would be a serious climb and I'm not sure I'd want to crawl up a climb that big on that road.  Going downhill is one thing because you can get speed and stay ahead of the cars but if I remember correctly, that hill doesn't have much of a shoulder so climbing up it on a bike might be a little hairy.  If this is the route you want to take, I'd recommend scoping it out first via car because I honestly don't recall it very well (I wasn't paying attention to the shoulder...just trying to stay upright on my bike going that fast )

Didn't think about the Marathon congestion...could be a pain to ride around.  Are you going to have access to a car?  It might be better to get away from Hopkinton b/c of Marathon congestion.  There are a bunch of races around here with mapped out loops.  We've also ridden the Cranberry/Patriot Loop this year which is a nice quiet ride.  Much more rural so traffic is less of a factor.  http://www.onemillionrevolutions.org/maps/map.php?ID=1639
2009-04-17 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
I've already climbed that hill & yes, it's a doozy - but I love to climb (I'm a total 'fraidy-scaredy on the downhills)!!  I'll check out that other route you recommended...!! Thanks this is awesome --- I have a feeling I'm going to be up in MA more often on these weekends...and with plenty of training ahead of me!

2009-04-18 7:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you take a left out of the park towards Hopkinton center you can stay on 85 past the High School.
Map it out. If you pass the HS on your right there is a left (somewhere) that will loop you near Pine Crest Country Club in Holliston. That will put you on the other side of Ashland Res. Which will also run you back down to or across 135.
Not a bad ride. You may even see me out there.
2009-04-20 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
TriMDC - that's totally what we did - but in reverse, we left Southboro at around 11:50....  I came through the center of Ashland from Southboro, turned at the road where that Northeastern conference center is...came down that hill and made a right on the street where the country club is..what a great road that was, I was flyin'!!!!  We hooked a right onto 85N and came down past the marathon start and back home via Cordaville Rd.  Great ride & great day for it!  I was happy to have a run on Sunday, though, the winds would've got to me! Thanks for all your feedback - we saw a group of tri-bikes coming down to make the right onto Eliot St. in Ashland, not sure if any of them were BTers though.
2009-04-20 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2091578

User image

Boston
How hilly is the Hopkinton Sprint Tri bike ride? I was trying to map it out here, and the elevation seemed ridiculous ... way more hilly than Mooseman, which doesn't seem right? 
2009-04-21 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
takeofftheskirt - I like that ride a lot. I live very close to the Warren Center (Northeastern center) so I do that ride at least once a week. I did go out on Saturday but it was early. I always see other riders out, very few tri bikes though.

czechchick - the course is not hilly at all. There is one hill on 135 (heading into Hopkinton Center) that is long but other than that it's a nice ride.
2009-04-21 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
I'll let y'all know when I'm back up there - I'll definitely have some solo rides upcoming, perhaps around Mother's Day....thanks a ton!!  Ride safe!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Southboro/Hopkinton area bike routes? Rss Feed