General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Add another Texan to the list Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-17 2:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Add another Texan to the list

Greetings, all.

I'm currently training for my first ever tri in May...a sprint. It's been a long journey getting here, and triathlon has been on my list of "things I want to do in life" since I was a teenager.

15+ years later, I'm almost there and have plans to continue the tri lifestyle.

I was a standout high school athlete (swimming, softball, track, basketball, bowling), a college/pro bowler and generally had great fitness most of my life. Somewhere around 2002-2003 I gained ~40 pounds and reached the heaviest point in my life @ 175. It sucked, but I became a gym rat and lost it all in about 5 months. A year later, I was in a new career and completely unhappy with that decision...and it didn't take long to gain the weight back. I would lose some, then gain some, and overall, became complacent and eventually apathetic about it. Ultimately I topped out at 196 last October.

Enough was enough, and it was time to put me first for a change and make myself truly happy. So I began doing what I knew to do - eat right, work out. That was going well, but something was missing. I wanted an option for cardio that didn't hurt (at almost 200 pounds, running was literally a pain...and I wasn't fond on running to begin with anyway). So I decided to try cycling. I had a mountain bike I would ride a little here and there, but when I got on my first road bike in December, I knew I found something that I would enjoy.

About a month later I was reading random message boards and other articles for inspiration. Somewhere I crossed the path of someone mentioning a triathlon. A light went off in my head and I remembered from years ago saying I wanted to do that. So I convinced my SO to join me in a training plan and making a commitment to do our first tri together in May. We've stocked up on swim suits, running shoes and other goodies and haven't missed a single workout since we started this journey.

Along the way, I have lost 45 pounds and am making strides every day to get back to 135. And what used to be a dreadful anticipation of run day is now a time I look forward to. Seeing improvements in my aerobic fitness and my mile pace is so rewarding. I already want to do a couple more sprints and hopefully an Olympic before my busy season starts with my business in September. Then I want to accomplish another thing on my list...train for and complete the Houston Marathon in 2010.

I know there are a lot of lofty goals, but I feel great about my body and about myself, and know that challenging myself and competing is key to keeping me inspired and healthy.

Thanks for reading...I look forward to being a part of this great community!

2009-04-17 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2092315

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Add another Texan to the list
Welcome to BT!  Remember to enjoy the journey.

Use the BT logs (if you're not already).  Never mind.  You're already using them.

Edited by KenD 2009-04-17 4:56 PM
2009-04-17 8:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-18 6:30 AM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
The more Texans the merrier! Welcome to BT! Make sure you check out the Texas forum!
2009-04-18 9:37 AM

Champion
marietta
Glad you found us!  Are you in Houston?  I can send you some info about the tri community here if ya like.  
2009-04-18 7:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Ken, Aaron, Brittany & fatty. I'm excited about being part of the community and looking forward to learning and improving with all the great support and resources here.

fatty- I am relatively close to Houston...a little over an hour away. I would gladly welcome any information about the tri-scene there. I'd be a little limited as to how much I could be a part of it because of the travel, but I would still like to participate when I can.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Add another Texan to the list Rss Feed