General Discussion Race Reports! » Victory for Victims 5K River Run & Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Victory for Victims 5K River Run & Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Encino, California
United States
Northridge Hospital Foundation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 49s
Overall Rank = 17/806
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/26
Pre-race routine:

This is a fairly small local 5K/8K charity event that is held in a park/nature preserve where my wife and I have trained for years. This was the first chance we'd had to enter (two years ago, Liz was injured; last year, we had an out-of-town tri).

Even though I'm doing Wildflower Long Course in two weeks for the first time, I've kind of been pointing to this race and not thinking about WF. Why? Because this might be my only 5K this year and I really wanted to get my first sub-20 out of the way (esp. since I'll be 49 in three weeks, so it won't get any easier). Anyhow, I came into this healthy and rested for the first time in awhile.

I had a Nutrigrain bar and about 6 oz. of Diet Coke and we headed out for packet pickup just before 6:30am. Liz was doing the 8K, which was scheduled to start 10 min. after my race (she wanted a longer race as part of her final prep for her first marathon next month).
Event warmup:

We had a comfortable walk from the car, then I got in a good stretch after we poked around the expo a little. Ran a bit and felt pretty good. I've been working through a bad flareup of my chronic post-tib tendonitis in my left foot and was trying the combination of off-the-rack orthotics and shoes that I'm hoping to use at Wildflower. I was a little concerned that I had some discomfort in the arch while walking around, but it didn't seem serious.
Run
  • 19m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Seeded myself about three rows off the starting line. From last year's results, I felt I was probably going to be in the top 20 overall and I was set up in about the top 30. As I edged forward, a nice teenage guy who was with a girl who I assumed was his sister asked if I wanted to move in front of them. I said "Sure"...then thought about it. "Unless you're planning to go sub-20, in which case you'll be running up my back." He kind of muttered something about "sub-20" that I couldn't make out, so I started in front of him.

Of course he passed me about 400m into the race and never looked back (he did a 19-flat...finished 2nd in the under-18 AG).

My trusty Garmin 205 was still "in the shop" for this race, so it was a good test of my race management skills.

Did I say "race management"? Umm...not so much. Hit the 1 mile mark at 6:00. Six flat!? That's almost my PR for an open mile...heck, the last open mile race I did (in late 2007), I went 6:06. Too fast. But it also meant I had a cushion on the sub-20 front.

I could tell my pace was dragging a bit on the dirt trail section of the course (about the middle mile) and a few people passed me. But I held up my pace the rest of the way and two of those people blew up and walked the last half mile.

I felt pretty good about holding sub-20 and--although I was really gassed the last half mile--I did have a decent kick. Someone was pressing hard on my heels the last 200m (turned out to be the 2nd place woman), but I finished strong and solidly under 20.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go out a touch slower. But unlike the last time I went out way too fast on a 5K (Redondo Beach 2007), I didn't blow up. Really didn't have much of anything left, but I suspect I could maybe have gotten under 19:45.
Post race
Warm down:

Liz was out on the course for her 8K, so I walked around and did some jogging and then some stretching. Very spent immediately after the race...grabbed some freebie vitamin-water-type drinks...temperature was heading through the roof (by 5pm, it got up to 96F). Liz was hoping for a sub-10:00 mile pace for her race and I saw her coming in right where I suspected she'd be, making her goal comfortably. I had a bottle of some water-like product waiting for her and we headed over to the expo.

As always seems to be the case with the timing company that did this race, the results were a mess, but as they sorted them out, my placement didn't change. I came into the race expecting to be around the top 15-20 O/A and probably 2nd or 3rd in my AG and I hit both: 17th O/A (out of over 800) and 2nd of 26 in my AG.

I got a nice medal...but Liz got the real prize: She won tickets and VIP backstage passes for the "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" show in the event raffle!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I treated this like an 'A' race and was as prepared as I've ever been. Perfect timing in my taper for Wildflower, really.

Event comments:

I've been wanting to do this race for two years, but haven't been able to. I was surprised at how big an event it is: Over 800 finishers in the 5K and 350 in the 8K. Laker Girls, decathlon great Rafer Johnson, and local radio/TV traffic-helicopter fixture "Commander" Chuck Street were featured guests. Great raffle prizes. Flat course(s) made for PRs. Benefits a sexual assault victim unit at an area hospital.

Last updated: 2009-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:49 | 03.11 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 17/806
Performance: Good
Mile 1 = 6:00; Mile 2 = 6:37; Mile 3 = 6:37; 0.107 mi. = 0:36 (5:36/mi.)
Course: Flat, flat, flat. ~1 mile on multi-use path, 1 mile on hard pack, well-groomed, trail, 1+ mile on MUP.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 10:24 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: Victory for Victims 5K River Run & Walk

2009-04-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2096252

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Victory for Victims 5K River Run & Walk
Wow Todd! Congratulations, that's a really fast run and 17th out of over 800 people! Your run is continuing to improve. Super job.

Jake
2009-04-21 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2096252

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Victory for Victims 5K River Run & Walk
Great job out there Todd! Congrats on the medal!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victory for Victims 5K River Run & Walk Rss Feed