General Discussion Triathlon Talk » protein? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-07 12:17 AM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
Subject: protein?
How much protein do I really need? What percentage of my diet should be protein? I'm doing weight training 3 days a week (I've been really bad about logging anything on my training log... so don't look there!) I weigh about 120 lbs and I am looking to get rid of 3 to 5 more pounds to shed my flab and firm up. I guess I was looking for a formula based on weight to tell me how many grams I need.

Thanks!

2005-04-07 8:50 AM
in reply to: #139172

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: protein?
Do you know how many daily calories you are shooting for? The reason I ask is that the protein calculators that I've seen on the internet are based on bodyweight for an assumed x kcals per day. And most times, they don't tell you what the x is...

This is what I did, maybe it'll help:
1) Figure out how many kcals you need on a daily basis
2) Determine what macronutrient ratio you want to go with (I did 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat) - those are the percentages of calories, not grams...
3) Know the following numbers - 1 gram of carb is 4 kcals, 1 gram of protein is 4 kcals, 1 gram of fat is 9 kcals.
4) Do the math - in my example I mulitplied 3500 kcal by .3 (30%) and ended up with 1050 kcal from protein. At 4 kcal per gram, that's about 263 grams of protein.

I had trouble getting the protein that I wanted to get and still only get appropriate fats, so I've been supplementing my daily intake with one or two servings of Whey Protein. I ordered some stuff online, but I think that there is a Savemart (I think that's what it's called) or something like that by the K-Mart on the north side of town that has whey protein too.

And for the record, I'm not a doctor or weight loss guru - just a geeky engineer who reads too much So take my advice with a grain of salt...

-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » protein? Rss Feed