General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard Cardio After Lifting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-24 9:59 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Hard Cardio After Lifting
I began Tri training about 3 1/2 months ago. To improve my overall fitness, I incorporated weight lifting into my S/B/R routine. The last month or so I have been focusing more on the weight lifting, and will do so for another month or so, then resume heavy S/B/R (cardio) training. I still do each of the Tri disciplines weekly.

My question is this: If I lift fairly heavy weights for about 1 1/2 hours, then do cardio for 30 - 45 minutes, does the cardio have any negative effects on the weight training? Should I be eating in between the two? I, like most people, do have some body fat that I can burn, so is it safe to assume that if I eat and supplement (protein) properly, that it is okay to run, say, 6 miles after doing chest for 90 minutes?

Thank you for your insights.

2009-04-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2107749

User image

Subject: RE: Hard Cardio After Lifting

You raise a number of issues.  I would wonder first why you're doing chest for 90 minutes?  Bodybuilders/powerlifters typically don't go nearly that much for a single part of the body.

Having a mix of high glycemic carbs and protein right after lifting will benefit recovery and strength.  That's been proven pretty well.  You raise a number of issues.  I would wonder first why you're doing chest for 90 minutes?  Bodybuilders/powerlifters typically don't go nearly that much for a single part of the body.

Having a mix of high glycemic carbs and protein right after lifting will benefit recovery and strength.  That's been proven pretty well.

There’s a good book on this subject called Nutrient Timing, I don’t have it with me but I have it at home if you want the author.  So, if you don’t get good nutrition right after a lift, your lifting will suffer.  There’s little doubt about that.

On the other hand, you’re in a much better position to burn fat if you do cardio after lifting, as you’re glycogen stores will be depleted, and if you throw down some carbs after a lift and then do cardio, you’ll be burning less fat.

I think you need to define your primary goal.  If your goal is to gain strength, and if you have the time, the best thing to do to maintain or build strength is to lift and then rest after lifting.  If you want to burn fat, and don’t mind letting your lifting suffer a bit, cardio after a lift is find—if you work hard enough with the weights, your strength probably wont lessen, at least.

2009-04-24 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I was concerned about this myself over the winter when I would strength train prior to spinning and running. For probably 2-3 months I would lift moderate weight for 45-1hr, have a small snack, and intensely spin for another 1 hour. I noticed I was burning fat and trimming up quite a bit, but my strength gains were minimal. Keep in mind, that was my goal - to gain some, tone up, and be efficient with my time all in the process. Also, the lifting I was doing was more complexes/circuits and endurance based routines. 
All in all, as long as your refueling properly, it's not a bad system to get into - but if your doing a lot of heavy lifts and are seeking a lot larger gains (which doesn't make sense from a tri standpoint) then I don't know if I would recommend it. 

2009-04-24 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA

What are your goals?  Gaining muscle/strength?  Mostly just strength?  Cardio will burn up a lot of the calories that your body would otherwise use to adapt to the lifting.  You can try to compensate by eating more on those days (pre-post workout as both are vital for muscle growth/energy levels

2009-04-24 2:37 PM

User image

New user

Thank you all for your comments.

I realize 90 minutes of straight chest would be a lot... I should clarify that when working out by myself, I spend at most 1 hour on chest and triceps. The 90 minutes was an exaggeration to help present the situation.

I have loosely defined my goal. My goal is to be a moderately fast triathlete and be in good physical shape, meaning good strength and some muscle definition.

The reason for doing cardio and lifting on the same day is simply due to time restraints. Ideally I would do cardio in the morning and strength train after work. This may be what I end up doing in the future, but for now, I am stuck doing both in the same session.

CGunz: The Nutrient Timing book sounds interesting. I would appreciate the title if you have the opportunity.

Here is a related question: Is it a good idea / does it make sense to incorporate swimming into strength training? For example, would it be a good idea to add 30 minutes of swimming to the end of my shoulder strength training? Would swimming be better suited for back workouts?

The same with leg strength training - would biking and running be a practical part of a leg strength training program?

2009-04-24 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2108547

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I generally concur with what Cgunz said about properly timing post-workout nutrition.

JustinP - 2009-04-24 2:37 PM

Here is a related question: Is it a good idea / does it make sense to incorporate swimming into strength training? For example, would it be a good idea to add 30 minutes of swimming to the end of my shoulder strength training? Would swimming be better suited for back workouts?

The same with leg strength training - would biking and running be a practical part of a leg strength training program?

Just from my own experience, I generally do well swimming after either a shoulder workout or back workout. Running or biking after legs is a pretty miserable experience.

2009-04-25 2:33 PM

User image

Its called Nutrtient Timing, by Ivy and Portman.  It has some stuff in there by a number of people I respect, such as Susan Kliener (who has a good book, Power Eating).

If you have to do the two workouts straight, what you ought to do, IMO, is to down gatorade or something during your workout--this will mitigate problems from doing cardio after strength.  It will, of course, make it harder to burn fat during cardio.  And down a lot of protein before and after your workouts.  In fact, regardless of your goals, you really ought to be consuming some calories during a 90 min strength workout even alone, and definitely if your doing 90 min strength AND THEN some cardio.  I notice a big difference in long strength workouts between when I drink gatorade and when I don't.

2009-07-17 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
I am not a great swimmer but from all I have researched, the most important part of swimming is form and technique.   If you don't have the form and technique completely nailed and mastered, I would imagine swimming after weight traing (especially if you are spending an hour destroying any particular muscle group) would negatively impact your form and technique and likely train you to be a bad swimmer.
2009-07-17 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2108547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
JustinP - 2009-04-24 9:37 PM

Thank you all for your comments.

I realize 90 minutes of straight chest would be a lot... I should clarify that when working out by myself, I spend at most 1 hour on chest and triceps. The 90 minutes was an exaggeration to help present the situation.

I have loosely defined my goal. My goal is to be a moderately fast triathlete and be in good physical shape, meaning good strength and some muscle definition.

The reason for doing cardio and lifting on the same day is simply due to time restraints. Ideally I would do cardio in the morning and strength train after work. This may be what I end up doing in the future, but for now, I am stuck doing both in the same session.

CGunz: The Nutrient Timing book sounds interesting. I would appreciate the title if you have the opportunity.

First of all, many bodybuilders/powerlifters I know have similar routine like you do. BUT, the difference is that the cardio they do is low intensity cardio post weight training. What you do is different with them, since your goal is to be a faster triathlete which acquire better timing in swimming, biking, and running. They do not have that goal, they only do the cardio to burn the fat and keep their metabolism under control. So they train merely on 65% of HR.

Second, it is best to split your training into morning and afternoon session, where you do the triathlon training in the morning (swibiru) and the resistance training in the afternoon. Try to aim a good 8 hours between those session.

IMO, a swimming session after a shoulder workout will lead to over training and injury. Whatever the muscle you work on a day, make sure it has enough rest time before you pound it with another workout.
2009-07-17 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas
Here is my two cents worth..  I am 240 training for the Silverman full, 140..  I think an hour of chest and tris is CRAZY!!  The swim portion of the race, whichever it is you will do is minimal..  You should be doing an all body workout, or at least spend the majority of your time doing legs, hip flexors, and core work.  The bike and run will not be calling upon your buffed up chest.  Your lady will appreciate the hard work, but your legs will be pissed off..

Focus on quads, hams and calfs.  Eat well..  take a cliff bar to the gym..  complex carbs, veggies and plenty of water.. 

The hell with the low heart rate stuff.  Bust your in a spin class and the stairmaster...  it will pay off..

Hope this helps...
2009-07-26 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2292741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
lasvegas99 - 2009-07-17 7:16 PM

The swim portion of the race, whichever it is you will do is minimal..  QUOTE]

HUH

2009-07-28 6:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Several points
1) Why are you lifting for more than an hour? Do you have a program or do you just go and do whatever you feel like? Muscle glycogen runs out after about an hour or so (depending on pretraining meals etc), so after that time, your body starts to eat itself (ie uses protein as fuel), which is counterproductive to doing weights/strenght training.

2) Definately eat after weight training - protein + carbs. That way, you will be semi-refuelled before the cardio workout and your body won't catabolise (ie eat itself or use protein as fuel) to fuel your run. As I mentioned, this is counterproductive to doing weights, and basically means you just wasted the previous hour doing weights.

Have a look on the internet for cortisol. That is the hormone responsible for muscle catabolism.

And personal opinion on supplements - unless your a vegetarian, you should get enough protein in your diet to not need supplements. IN saying that, a good vege diet will have enough protein in it.
2009-08-09 12:01 PM

User image

I am very new to tri training and due to family and work have big time time constraints, forcing me to pack as much training as possible into short periods of time.  IMO, if you run after heavy lifting (i.e. 1 hr for chest/tris) you are essentially negating a good portion of your workout.  Consider total body interval or circuit weight training.  It can increase your heart rate and metabolism, leading to fat burn, definition, and muscular endurance, without overloading any part of the body.

I bought the TRX suspension trainer from fitnessanywhere.com and absolutly love it.  At a good pace I am able to complete a total body workout in 30 minutes that accomplishes all the things I talked about above and still have time to  run, swim, or bike.  I use the TRX twice a week and supplement with 1-2 interval workouts at the gym. 

There is no one right answer to training, but this has worked for me.  I've lost 40 lbs (205-165), have replaced a lot of fat with lean muscle and feel better than I ever have.  In the end, do what makes you happy.  Any routine is set to fail if you don't enjoy it, and any workout is better than no workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard Cardio After Lifting Rss Feed