General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could be off the mark--my training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-25 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Could be off the mark--my training
this month...and planning on similar in May...I have been focusing on just the run.  After IMCA 70.3 I was dissapointed in my run so I decided I would focus on it until May 25 for the LA Marathon.  I have completely abandoned my bike and swim for now until after that race when I expect to take a few weeks off then start an IM training plan for IMAZ.

My question is am I naive to think I can just jump in there and start the bike as if I hadn't lost much fitness? 

My thoughts were that if I focused on my running, and recovered well after each run...I would get more out of it and avoid burnout before starting IM training.

Opinions?

2009-04-25 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2110407

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Could be off the mark--my training

I would expect some fitness loss on your bike and swim if you've let those fall to the wayside.

More importantly, having a good run in a triathlon is just as much about your bike fitness as your run fitness.  If you can't bike, then no matter how your high run fitness is, you'll probably still have a bad run.  I would almost say that if you had a bad run last race, then you should be spending additional time on your bike, not on your run.

Triathlon is about how well you can S/B/R all together.  I think focusing on just one sport is going to hurt you overall.

2009-04-25 8:26 PM

User image

I'm gonna go with Andrew on this one.  You know what they say (at least in IM), no such thing as a "good bike and a bad run."     You will not lose all fitness, but looking at 3 months of no swim/bike? I wouldn't (IMO you don't need to be "training" for IMAZ until June)

Might want to PM waterdog.  Everyone is different, but he spent a whole season concentrating on running then went back to tri, see what his experience was.  

Not a coach, so take it for what it is worth 
2009-04-27 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

I basically did this in ramping up to Boston with very little biking and some swimming since September basically.  I have to pay the piper now on the bike, but I think you have enough time where you would be able to bounce back, especially if you are only talking up to the mary.  What do you expect your recovery time to be like?  I agree to an extent about a strong run being backed by a solid bike, but I also think there is merit to upping the running a bit vs what some folks think is running with 2-3x a week.  For me it is an experiment and I am optimistic that in a month or so both the run and bike will be humming along just fine.  Dont abandon the bike completely (like I did).  I have yet to do any real testing as far as how much bike fitness I have lost, just some tooling around kind of stuff with friends until my legs heal up from the mary.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could be off the mark--my training Rss Feed