General Discussion Race Reports! » Miracle Run 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miracle Run 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Windsor, Ontario
Canada
Running Factory (www.runningfactory.com)
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 20s
Overall Rank = 127/145
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/15
Pre-race routine:

Wander around wondering why mom isn't at our house yet; think about skipping my race so D can run his. Call mom (no answer), put a sign on the door and leave.

[We miscommunicated about meeting at the house; dad ended up coming with mom, and they were already at the race site, waiting for us]
Event warmup:

Got to the race, saw dad right away. Ran over to the chip timing area, ran back. Stretched a little--probably should have warmed up more.
Run
  • 37m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was tough. I knew very quickly in that the hills--even the slow hills--were ultimately going to do me in. About 5 minutes in, I knew that beating my 5K was not going to happen. This is not a course to do a PB on. Saw mile marker one right before the monster hill. Looked at my watch: 10:56 for the first mile--slower than any of the miles in my 10K. And that was BEFORE the big hill. Ugh.

Didn't maintain any run/walk rhythym. Ran for the first 8 minutes, and then it was random running and walking. Ran up the monster hill (figured it would be a good training effort if nothing else). After that I tried to always run the downhills.
What would you do differently?:

Not take an entire month off running :) Seriously, other than being better hydrated, I don't know if there is much else I could have done, other than having been in better overall shape. The park where this run is held contains basically the only hills for miles around. Hill repeats would have been good, but my running is not anywhere near mature enough for that yet.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got water, pasta salad etc. Stretched a tiny bit. Scoped out a spot to watch D finish his 10-miler.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I feel that I completely lost alot of my base by not running in March. That, and serious lack of hill training.

Event comments:

Well done race. The after-race food was tasty, although I don't think they had enough. Someone said there were alot more racers this year-that may have been the reason. There was plenty to drink, which is really more important. Lots of volunteers. Overall a good race. I will likely do this one again. It's a good season opener to measure how effective your winter training has been.

Last updated: 2005-01-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:40 | 03.1 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/15
Overall: 127/145
Performance: Average
Course: Looping course over the local cross country trail. Very slow uphill to mile one. Monster hill (highest point in the county) right after mile one. More sloping up and down hills throughout the race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-10 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Subject: Miracle Run 5K

2005-04-10 11:53 PM
in reply to: #140650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: RE: Miracle Run 5K

Hey, great job JR!!  Another race under your belt!!

Those hills sound tough, and I was glad to hear that you ran up the big one!!  That takes a lot of mental strength (or stubborness)!!

Well done!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miracle Run 5K Rss Feed