Human Race Sports
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early -- actually, it was normal, weekday wake-up time for me (4:30) -- and spent some time hemming and hawing over what to wear. It was about 50 degrees, but I knew it was going to get warm... but not sure how quickly it would warm up. Decided on just bringing one of everything from my wardrobe and deciding once I got there. Ended up in shorts and a light, long-sleeved short. And the shorts had pockets so I didn't have to worry about where to keep the gels!

Ate a bagel with cream cheese at home (2.5 hours before race time), then a gel about 40 minutes before race time. That seemed to work great for me -- for the first time ever, I didn't have, uh, intestinal issues midway through the race and have to make a bathroom stop.

Event warmup:

I don't believe in the whole "running before the run" thing to warm up (I'm already working hard enough!), so I just stretched and waited for the gun to go off. This was essentially my last long run before the Country Music half on April 30th, so I knew I was going to take it easy, especially during the first part of the race.
Run
  • 2h 19m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I was trying to keep my pace around 11 min/mile, and went a little faster than that... all in all, not a bad run. Really had to work to slow down the first couple of miles... and then tried to pick up my pace for the last 5k, and with the exception of the hill, was fairly successful.
What would you do differently?:

Carry water with me. This was the inaugural year for this run, and they didn't have that quite ironed out yet. There were only 5 over the entire course, and one of them had run out of cups and were scrambling to re-use ones that hadn't been stepped on (ewwwww...).

Oh - and I had accidentally set my HRM to beep at me when my heart rate got above 160.... well, after climmbing that first hill right before mile 1, my heart rate never really went below that mark... and I didn't know how to make it STOP... and so it beeped at me all race. :) I'm sure everyone running around me really appareciated that. :)

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was trying to keep my pace slower than normal since this was supposed to be a training run.

Event comments:

The good: enthusiastic volunteers and lots of support along the way, challenging course, well-organized, neat finisher's medal

The bad: not enough water stops, course not flat as advertised!, goody bag not too exciting, no clocks out on the course (good thing I had my watch), not enough port-o-johns

I'll do this race again next year... my guess is that most of the things that weren't up to snuff will be taken care of by then. Just the growing pains of a new race.

Last updated: 2005-03-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:19:28 | 13.1 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
1-10:08 2-10:08 3-10:15 4-10:19 5-10:36 6-10:46 7-10:21 8-10:36 9-11:22 (took my time through the water stop) 10-11:51 (stopped to chat with a friend who was cheering for me!) 11-10:24 12-11:05 (BIG hill) 13-10:24 13.1-1:08
Course: Advertised as a "flat, fast course".... flat, my ass!! I should have known -- I spent 4 years of college in the town -- and been prepared for it. Right before the first mile marker was the climb that I took at least 3 times a week from my psych classes back up to the rest of campus. And then - after mile 11 - MAJOR hill. Pushed my way through that one as best as possible. And then the cruelest trick ... coming into the end, you think it's nothing but either flat or a little downhill, and the last .1 has a hill. Bah. Honestly - nice course, just not what they said it was going to be. :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-10 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Valpo Mini Marathon

2005-04-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: #140674

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Valpo Mini Marathon
Way to GO!

Nice run despite the hills. You're gonna do great things this year!!!
2005-04-10 6:54 PM
in reply to: #140674

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Valpo Mini Marathon

That was a really good smart run...just a LITTLE under 11 min. miles?!??  20 seconds per mile adds up pretty quick!  Excellent job.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Valpo Mini Marathon Rss Feed