General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sprint tri in 6 weeks time?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-11 7:04 AM

New user

Subject: Sprint tri in 6 weeks time?!?!
Hello!

I signed up for sprint tri (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) due to go down in 6 weeks and I have not had the time to train yet. I am now making the time but was wondering if anyone how any suggestions for a novice to get ready for this? Any comments are appreciated.

2005-04-11 7:57 AM
in reply to: #140871

Veteran
Swindon
Subject: RE: Sprint tri in 6 weeks time?!?!

Err... may sound a bit obvious, but START TRAINING

Difficult to give you anymore advice without knowing how fit you are to start with.  If you've got a reasonable base then just get out and start putting in the miles, there really isn;t any substitute for it.Have a look at the "couch to sprint" etc programs - if you have the base fitness to drop in at week 6 on the 12 week program , then go for that

If you're starting from couch potato, then you need to start with short sessions, and build up the distance (if you expect to finish, then the 10% rule for increasing training is out of the window)

I would suggest that you do more short sessions rather than trying to go for big long sessions - if you can then try to do 3 sessions of each discipline a week, 2 short sessions and one longer than the others.

2005-04-14 9:15 AM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
There's a very good book called 'Triathlon Training in 4 Hours a Week - from beginner to finish line in just six weeks' by a guy named Eric Harr.
Very motivating, very 'real world training for normal people' kind of stuff. Basically tells you everything you would need to buy (or not buy!), how to train, how to plan, how to eat.....
I really love it.
A sprint is difficult, but it is not an ironman. Just about anyone with a good fitness base in all three sports, and a strong will can accomplish this. With only six weeks to go, I'd be getting a plan together and getting to it!
Good luck, and we're here to help!
2005-04-14 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

It all depends on your present level of fitness.  Barring any significant physical limitations, anyone can ride 20Kms and run (or walk) 5Kms; it is simply be a matter of doing it at one's own pace.  And, as long as a person can do the swim leg without exhausting him/herrself, that person can complete a sprint tri.  Bearing this in mind, I would suggest that you concentrate almost exclusively on your swimming, especially if it is your weakest discipline.  Bike and run/walk once or twice a week and try to throw a brick in once in awhile.  It would be no use to push yoursefl too much at this point.  You would merely exhaust yourself before the triathlon rolled around or most probably hurt yourself by pulling a muscle or something of that nature.

Edited by Machiavelo 2005-04-14 10:46 AM
2005-04-14 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
Tania's right. Get that book and follow it religiously. I did the same thing you're attempting using that book. I should tell you that I rode my road bike 3 times a week for years prior to my deciding to triathlon, but my swimming was horrrrrrible and my running was ok. But using the book's schedule got me going in the right direction and I did pretty well in my opinion for my first tri. But obviously you've got to train, train, train.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sprint tri in 6 weeks time?!?! Rss Feed