General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about AVIA / K-Swiss / Zoot Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-03 11:51 PM

User image

Veteran
GA
Subject: Question about AVIA / K-Swiss / Zoot Shoes
I'll be in the market for new shoes in about a month, and am curious about these brands. I prefer performance stability shoes, because they're soft enough for me, and light. Right now I'm running in the Asics DS-14. I run 12-22 miles per week, like to run fast, and always wear socks. PRs for 5k and 10k are 18:30, and 41:43. I've done a few sprints with olympics planned this year and two half-marys. I seem to be a solid Asics fan, but have been contemplating trying out Mizunos or the Saucony Grid Tangent 3 or Pro Grid Guide 2.

Does anyone use AVIA or K-Swiss or Zoot Triathlon shoes for all of their running/tri training? I do not want a pair of shoes just for triathlons, but am considering their applicability to all of my running / tri needs.

I also see that K-Swiss offers different in-soles for different functions. Anyone have these?
And I saw that Zoot offers a running-specific shoe, with no holes in the bottom.

Let me hear your opinions.

2009-05-04 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2127580

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: Question about AVIA / K-Swiss / Zoot Shoes
Since you mention that you are contemplating the Saucony Pro Grid Guide 2----I've been wearing them since last summer when I started to run.  I went to my local running store and after a gait anaylsis and them selecting several appropriate pairs to try I went with the Saucony Pro Grid Guide 2.  I don't have a running background mainly because any other time I'd tried to run I'd be miserable (especially with shin splints) but with these shoes I've had NO issues.  I use them for all my training (about 30mpw), in tris (sprints to HIM) and a 5K or two that I've run.  I find them to be very comfortable and they seem to hold up well (again I don't really have anything else to compare them to since I've been afraid to try any others since I've been so happy with these---I'm on my 3rd pair!).
2009-05-04 8:53 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I found the Avia Avi_lite II to be very similar to the DS trainer in terms of fit and feel (a bit narrower in the midfoot, but other than that, very similar). I will say, it is more like the previous DS trainers (10-13) than the 14, so if you are disappointed in the newer version like some people were, definitely look in to it.
2009-05-04 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
I use the Zoot Ultra TT for faster runs and racing, and the Zoot Energy for everyday training.  I find the energy to be a very comfortable shoe, and despite it's lighter weight it has plenty of cushioning for me.  The Ultra TT performed well in a sprint tri (going sockless), and is comfortable for me (215 pounds) to wear on runs up to 5 miles (have not tried going further in them).  I'd assume their stability shoes would perform similarly.
2009-05-04 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Very intresting, I am curious about the same shoes. I am 5'9", 156lbs, 40-50mpw, last year 5k PR 19:30, 1/2 1:36, racing focus HIM. My daily trainer is Mizuno Wave Inspire 4, my race shoe is Zoot Tempo+, perf. stability trainer. I am a mild overpronator.
Love Mizuno to death, firm, responsive, light, adequate stability for me. Zoot shoes, have a low riding heel ( love that), touch of stability, not much of cushioning (normal for 10oz shoe). Ran sockless HIM run split, no blisters, but have to brake your skin in for that. Sockless=little faster T2. Ran multiple speed  sessions, threshold runs, long runs 16mi. They seem to tear me up and require more recovery than Mizunos. I am noticing more and more of that. I have to warn you, though, very low durability. I am at about 200mi and they will soon need replacement.
In summary Zoot Tempo in my case, ok for short races 5k-10k, half ok too, but have more calves soreness than normal after longer or faster runs. On track, they are super.
I am intrested in feedback of same:
K-swiss, kona or misoul-tech
avia avi llite II
new Zoot Tempo
adidas adizero mana (maybe a little too light for me)
or any other sockless, Yankz capable performance stability trainer.
2009-05-05 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
I've been running in Asics Nimbus and 21XX's but recently bought the Zoot Tempo+ 2.0 and love them to death.  Use to get shin splints alot but since getting th zoots, it's stopped.  I love the zoots so much that i stop running in my Asics.  My local running store said it was bad to run in it all the time and that i shouls run in my asics because the zoots Tempo weren't made as an everyday trainer?  I got the Zoots because i wanted to go sockless.  I don't run more than 6 miles in them so so far i've had no issues with them.  Bad thing is my local running store said they'd only last me about 125 miles?  I hope that ain't the case.  Since hearing that, i only run in them on my bricks... starting next week...  i love them too much.  Anyone know if the energy will last longer that 125?  aside from all my rambleing, if you haven;t noticed by now, i love them!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about AVIA / K-Swiss / Zoot Shoes Rss Feed