General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fifth disease(slapped cheek) and tri training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-04 12:16 PM

Subject: fifth disease(slapped cheek) and tri training
Wanted to find out if anyone except for me, has ever been through the sudden onset arthritis joint pain that comes with parvoviruses?

This can apparently happen when adults are exposed to Fifth disease....it is relatively mild in kids, but is very serious with pregnancy and also causes arthritis type illnesses in adults(especially women).

I have had to sit out the BMO Vancouver 1/2 Marathon this weekend and ease up on the training this past 10 days. The pain has been beyond anything I have ever experienced and seems to have no relief. I am unsure how to proceed with training as Ironman is in Aug. and I soon need to UP the mileage, especially on the bike. Not sure how to do that when the joints are swollen and very tender...they also feel "loose" which I know sounds bizarre, but they have gone from really fit and ready for hard workouts, to sloppy and swollen!

Does anyone have any info/personal experience/input??

Thanks...

2009-05-09 12:47 AM
in reply to: #2128674

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: RE: fifth disease(slapped cheek) and tri training
No personal experience with Fifth Disease, but my 2 young daughters got it recently.  It was funny because it literally looked like somebody slapped them across the cheeks.  It was so red, I was cracking up for a few days....
2009-05-16 8:11 AM

Just an update

I did have it confirmed by lab that the parvovirus B19/Fifth disease was responsible for this acute arthritis called "infectious arthritis".

It is very slowly resolving....but I really want to caution all adults...this can be a nasty virus...major pain with joints literally "on fire" especially when trying to rest!

Hope no one ever has to have personal experience with it...

Edited by arny 2009-05-16 8:12 AM
2009-05-16 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2154698

arny - 2009-05-16 9:11 AM Just an update I did have it confirmed by lab that the parvovirus B19/Fifth disease was responsible for this acute arthritis called "infectious arthritis". It is very slowly resolving....but I really want to caution all adults...this can be a nasty virus...major pain with joints literally "on fire" especially when trying to rest! Hope no one ever has to have personal experience with it...

My mom actually had it a year ago - she works at an elementary school, so she probably picked it up from one of the little germy buggers there. It took her months to get over it, and she couldn't go for walks or anything because it hurt so much. She had the rash and everything.

2009-05-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2155034

That sounds familiar! But, when training for Ironman it is even worse, since these are the building months...and I am Miss Pokey at the very back of the pack -- but happy just to be there. Now ... recovery is really complicating training. But the more folks I hear about, the more I realize how serious this is for adults...and we don't even know about it!! Nor do alot of doctors!!!!! Argh....
Thanks for the response...it makes me feel like less of a wimp when I hear about the real pain others have had
2009-06-06 8:29 AM

Just in case anyone else has the misfortune of running into an experience like this---my words of advise are "hang in there through the pain and do NOT listen to the doctors as they tell you there may be permanent damage to the joints if you train"....just do what you can and let pain be your guide.

Infectious arthritis is painful, but with good nutrition and continued training on whatever level you can(I did only wts as I did not want to lose the muscle strength while the joints healed and I was not able to do anything else...everyday activities were painful and turning over in bed was excruciating initially)---things will improve!!

I am back in the saddle again after more than a month...somewhat behind in Ironman training, but I am a turtle anyway, so I think I can train smartly and still be out there, though my time won't improve this year. I can't run yet as the knees are still swollen/tender but I can do power-walks and the bike is going well.

So--if anyone has a run-in with this...take heart...it is painful and frustratiing...but don't despair...the symptoms will pass in time

Happy training!

2009-06-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2198827

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
I picked this up from my kids and dealt with arthritis symptoms in my legs and hips for almost nine months.  It can be as nasty as described.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fifth disease(slapped cheek) and tri training Rss Feed