General Discussion Triathlon Talk » big guy running question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-04 4:30 PM

Subject: big guy running question
Hi, I have now come to a point where i can consistently run 3.1 miles/ 5K in 34 minutes, which is fast for me but painfully slow in the real world.... so how should I proceed with my running should I just keep slowly increasing my distance or should i do a shorter distance while attempting to set a faster pace? I really need some advice Thxs!

Edited by Bigtalon 2009-05-04 4:37 PM

2009-05-04 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2129557

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: big guy running question
I think that some questions will answer that for you?

What is your ultimate goal? (Are you running this distance for time, or trying to build up to longer distances?)

What is you limiting factor? Cardio, muscles, or joints?
2009-05-04 5:17 PM

my goal is to do a sprint tri. The run is 3.1 miles or 5k and I'm trying to decrease my time from 34 minutes to hopefully 25 or 26 minutes.

My limiting factor is breathing. my muscles aren't really sore while running but I'm blowing pretty hard while running.
2009-05-04 5:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Based in the limited info...  (But this rule of thumb is good basic advice for just about eveyone).

Slowly increasing your distance is far superior to your overall conditioning and fitness, and ultimately speed, than shorter distances at a faster pace.

Faster pace = higher intensity = higher load on the body = higher risk for over training (especially for us big guys).

Typically, you would want to only do one 'fast' workout a week, with the other 2 at an easier pace, but longer distances.

The typical rule of thumb is to increase your distance (or time) about 10% a week to do it safely.  You would want to do this at an comfortable pace.

That's it in a nutshell, but there is a lot more that can be discussed about this topic.
2009-05-04 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I agree with the previous post, especially if you are not experiencing joint or over-use pain. Remember, this run will be at the end of a swim and bike.

Do you have a heart rate monitor?
2009-05-04 7:57 PM

In answer to "eabeam" sorry for the font size!!!! <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

I just returned from running at the LP Quinn school's rubber coated track 16 laps 4miles straight non stop time of 44:51. I dug my Polar heart rate monitor out of the drawer average bpm 162?

2009-05-04 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Well. you can start experimenting with a little anaerobic threshold as your high intensity workout.

Disclaimer, this is an oversimplified intro.

Take pace slightly quicker than your normal pace- Something challenging to your cardio, but that you should be able to do without going anaerobic in your muscles for 30 minutes.

Go for 15 minutes at this pace.
Then slow jog/walk until your heart rate gets to 100-110.

Repeat 3-4 times.

Try to maintain a consistent pace, if your pace is consistent and your heart rate spikes, you probably went too hard. Go to the rest interval and try again.

I like the heart rate monitor better than strict time or distance intervals.
It allows you to be more responsive to your body.

Edited by eabeam 2009-05-04 8:19 PM
2009-05-04 11:50 PM

I agree with the above post, it is like an intro to interval training.

Try what he suggested and you will see some improvements in both distance and speed.
If you run 5X/wk do this 2 out of the 5.

2009-05-05 11:11 AM

New user
I have kind of the same problem. I run a 10 minute mile. I mean exactly a 10 minute mile to the second even if I am not wearing a watch. I have really been unable to get any faster.

I recently ran a HIM and maintained an average heart rate of 168 for 8 hours. I can do this without breathing hard and I am in ridiculously good cardio shape.  I think I have it in me to go faster but I don't think I can sustain my heart rate any higher. My heart rate is that high due to the weight I am carrying.

I think being able to do this is exceptional but I have come to realize that at my weight that is just how fast I can run. I am working on the weight thing and expect to run a HIM next year at 200 pounds or less.

All that being said my advice is this. Increase your distance. As you do the cardio efficiency will come and it will be a lot more fun. If you do this your form will improve and your speed will pick up. Running doesn't really become fun for me until after 3 miles so you are already there.

If you want to use brute force to increase your cardio efficiency try Tabata sprints.
2009-05-05 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I liked Tabata's when I did MMA, but I have two issues with them for Clyde's that are training for a Triathlon.

1 - I would worry about going anaerobic and having that be the limiting factor.
2 - The increased risk of injury with going much more intense than his baseline.

Maintaining 30-40 minutes at that heart rate makes me thing that the focus should be aerobic base and capacity - with a little something added to break the plateau.

Once this plateau is broken and a new one comes, a more advanced training plans could be reviewed.
2009-05-05 12:26 PM

New user
EAbeam I agree with you about the stresses of Tabata esp. with the Clydesdale set.  It is hard on the body and if you have heart disease you are going to die ( I don't mean this jokingly) . That being said for me it was like someone turned on the furnace. My metabolism went through the roof. I also dropped my resting heart rate 20 BPM in 2 weeks and My blood pressure took a nosedive as well.   This was before all of my endurance training so I had a lot of easy gains to be made. I don't know what it would do today.

Thanks for you insight though.

2009-05-05 4:31 PM

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone! I seem to be losing weight 2-3lbs a week so taking your advice I think I will slowly increase my distance over the next 2 weeks, then try some ladders 800 440 220 100 on one of my workouts using my heart rate monitor as a guide.

funny thing I also noticed about my 13th lap or just over 3 miles I suddenly felt a little looser and breathing easier I also noticed a small drop in heart rate. This running thing is weird to me I've never pushed myself and I'm running better now than when I was training for my physical in corrections 23+ years ago!

keep the advice coming  one thing I have learned over the years is to ask questions and listen to people who actually have done their homework.... Thanks again
2009-05-05 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2132368

New user
Just a thought, but you might try to find yourself something other than a 400m track to train on.  running little circles for hours on end is mindbending for me.  once I got out on a nice, crushed granite path, my speed and enjoyment dramatically improved.
2009-05-06 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2132844

User image

On your right
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'll agree on a few thing.  First, get off the track unless you're doing speed work.  It is DREADFULLY boring.  Plus you don't get any Real World racing feel, like doing a hill or ten.  Second, to quote a much better runner than I'll ever be "Run lots.  Mostly slow, sometimes fast."

Don't worry about speed work until you're good with your distances.  And just getting your 5K doesn't mean you're good with your distance.  By running longer, you'll get in better shape both cardio wise, as well as making your body more equipped to handle running better.  If you were weight training, and wanted to bench 400 lbs, would you only do sets of 1 trying to increase your weight until you got there, or do more reps to build your muslces up?
2009-05-12 7:14 PM

Hi all, Just to update my progress today after work I ran a 6 mile loop on our sprint Tinman course in Tupper Lake, NY. I did have to start a run walk routine at about 3.5 miles out my total time was 1:15:00 that"s a 12:00 minute mile pace average. This was the first time I've done a total out and back loop & the first time I have done 6 miles!. Over all post run I feel pretty good although A nice soak in the tub helped alot.

This Saturday I plan on doing a 5K fun run it's for a charity. & I figure I can use this to get used to competition and maybe get a faster pace going. Right now I would be super pleased to run a 30:00 5K

Hope every one's training is going good!

2009-05-18 4:41 PM

I ran my first 5k in a time of 34:02 which is my normal training time. Although I'm not pleased with my time I feel I learned quite a bit by participating.......
1. I got caught up in the fast pace at the start
2. do not underestimate other runners
3. refrain from drinking wine at 10:00 pm the night before.... hehe!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » big guy running question Rss Feed