General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello; New Guy from Staunton VA Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-05 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Hello; New Guy from Staunton VA
Hello, First off thanks to everyone for this site. i have gotten so much encouragement just reading others posts.
My wife developed Lyme's disease in September, (she is fully recovered now) Doc said she needed to get some exercise. I signed us up at the local Y began lifting and walking lost a little weight.
Began talkling to one of the guys at work about my training, and he told me about his wife doing the Tris. He suggested swimming for me. At first the best I could do was 50 yards. Kept adding distance nest thing you know I did a mile in 1:39.
Figured what the heck began riding the spinning bike, did 20  miles in an hour. Figured I would give the running a shot, always had bad knees and was a bit worried, but next thing you know, did 5k in 39 minutes. 
Bench marked myself at just over 96 minutes for a sprint Tri.
My dream goal is the "Glen Allen" http://www.trifind.com/va.html May 31.
If not that one than either Tri in the Buff, July 3, or the Patriots run Sept 13 in Williamsburg.
Is the Glenn Allen unrealistic? I just want to finish.
Also does anyone know of any Tri clubs/ groups in or near Staunton VA?

Edited by verga 2009-05-05 12:47 PM

2009-05-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2131605

Subject: RE: Hello; New Guy from Staunton VA

verga - 2009-05-05 1:37 PM Hello, First off thanks to everyone for this site. i have gotten so much encouragement just reading others posts.
My wife developed Lyme's disease in September, (she is fully recovered now) Doc said she needed to get some exercise. I signed us up at the local Y began lifting and walking lost a little weight.
Began talkling to one of the guys at work about my training, and he told me about his wife doing the Tris. He suggested swimming for me. At first the best I could do was 50 yards. Kept adding distance nest thing you know I did a mile in 1:39.
Figured what the heck began riding the spinning bike, did 20  miles in an hour. Figured I would give the running a shot, always had bad knees and was a bit worried, but next thing you know, did 5k in 39 minutes. 
Bench marked myself at just over 96 minutes for a sprint Tri.
My dream goal is the "Glen Allen" http://www.trifind.com/va.html May 31.
If not that one than either Tri in the Buff, July 3, or the Patriots run Sept 13 in Williamsburg.
Is the Glenn Allen unrealistic? I just want to finish.

The Glen Allen tri is the same course as the 3Sports Sprint, put on in July, which I've done. It's an easy course, very beginner-friendly. A couple of things:

The spin bike or stationary bike at the gym is not like riding a regular bike outside - the speed and distance on those are not accurate at all, and do not simulate riding on the actual road. Get a real bike (borrow one, etc), even if it's just a mountain bike and practice outside. You don't need anything fancy - at a sprint, you will see every kind of bike.

I don't quite follow you when you said you did a "mile" swim in 1:39. A mile swim is about 1650 meters (or that's what swimmers consider the "mile"). Now, a time of 1 hour 39 minutes  would be VERY VERY slow. And 1 minute 39 seconds would be impossible. Do you mean you swam 100 meters or yards (not a mile) in 1:39? If so, that's pretty good.

All that being said, welcome to BT There are lots of Virginians here (I'm not originally from here, but I've lived here for 5 years now).

2009-05-05 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2131635

User image

Master
Yes I did the mile in 1 hour and 39 minutes. It was the first time I ever swam that kind of distance. My time for the 100 yards is about 5 minutes.
I have been riding my 10 speed out on the roads 2-3 times / week.
2009-05-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2132041

verga - 2009-05-05 3:30 PM Yes I did the mile in 1 hour and 39 minutes. It was the first time I ever swam that kind of distance. My time for the 100 yards is about 5 minutes.
I have been riding my 10 speed out on the roads 2-3 times / week.

Well, then more power to ya for trying to swim a mile straight this early in your tri career. So just to suggest a few things - to start off swimming well, it's better to focus on getting the technique down. Yards and yards of poor technique won't be much help for you. For a sprint, you don't need to do anywhere near a mile So I would maybe get a lesson or two, or find someone who can watch you swim, who knows what they're doing, and help you tweak your stroke. When you do a workout, for now, it's probably more beneficial to do several shorter sets in a workout, focusing on various things, doing drills, etc. You will get stronger, and you can do a mile total in your workout, broken up into sets, or even a bit more, but you want to make sure your technique is correct, since swimming is very much about technique, compared to running or biking.

Sounds good about the bike - good luck with your training!

2009-05-05 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2131605

There is a Tri club in Charlottesville I believe, but not in Staunton.  There are lots of cycling opportunities in Staunton though, you should contact James at Black Dog bikes in town for info.  There are also several people who do triathlon in Staunton.  I am a wannabe but bike a lot, run a bit, and swim in the summer.  Would be happy to help you out with finding cycling groups or riding with you?  It is easier to be motivated with others.

Mike 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello; New Guy from Staunton VA Rss Feed