General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Weather Race Attire??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-05 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown
Subject: Cold Weather Race Attire???
Well, for the past week or so it has done nothing but rain here in NJ and it is going to do the same for the next week as well.  For my first race this Saturday the temperature is to be in the high 60's, overcast and 30% chance of rain.  So more than likely it is going to be in the 50's at race time.  Should I go out and get a long sleeved under armour top to help stay warm or is there something else to look for? 

2009-05-05 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2131699

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Cold Weather Race Attire???

I had the exact same circumstance with my first tri a few weeks ago. I'm in Indiana, it was mid to upper 50s and drizzly rainy for race day. I was going to buy an underarmor long sleeve thing, but just didn't. I raced in my one piece tri suit. Came out of the pool swim into T1 jumped on my bike and was cold for maybe 3 minutes. Then I was glad I had no long sleeves on. On the run I had the thing a little unzipped. I hate cold weather too! I love the heat. So I was shocked. So for what its worth, I don't know that you'll need one.

2009-05-05 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
I just raced this weekend in ~50 degree temps and pouring rain. I just used the same tri top (tank) and shorts I was planning on using originally. No problems!
2009-05-05 1:53 PM

Veteran
Tough call.  I have seen races (two years ago in Harriman State Park in NY) where it was 50 and raining, after a swim in 54 degree water.  A jacket was warranted.  Many who went with standard race gear had frostbite from the bike and had to pull out. 

This is your first race.  If you think you would be more comfortable with a jacket or long sleeve jersey, wear one.  There are likely many races in your future.  No need to be a hero on day one.  If it is not raining, and you are not sure, get a pair of arm warmers.  Easy to take off if you are hot.  You will warm up quite a bit on the bike.  Without the experience of many races or training rides, it will be hard to judge.  You can always unzip a top, but if you are freezing, you cannot add more clothing after you start.

Good luck
2009-05-05 1:54 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Did the same race as Shad. 2 years in a row the weather has been 50ish at race time. 2 years in a row I've still been hot by the end. I wouldn't do the UA thing. If you're going to swim in it, it's going to hold cold water against your body for much longer than you would have been cold otherwise.

I would guess that you won't notice the cold at all.

ETA: Didn't even think about an item brought up in the post above mine. Indoor swim or OWS?

Edited by Sprint_DA 2009-05-05 1:55 PM
2009-05-05 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown
Thanks all.. It is an OWS so temps should be low.  I do have a full sleeve wetsuit as well. 

2009-05-05 2:07 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I did the race at Harriman the past two years.  There is a HUGE difference between 50 degrees and raining and 60 degrees and dry when you are on the bike. 

Two years ago in 50F w/rain I wore a long-sleeve zip-up jersey on the bike and should have gone with some gloves and leg cover too.  I barely survived until the run (which was far better than some others).

Last year, in trying to make up for it, I took gloves & leg warmers in addition to the long sleeve.  But temps got up to near 60F and there was no rain so I ended up a little too warm (never actually put the gloves on, but had them stuffed in my pocket).

With the forecast going into the 60s, I would be tempted to go with less as long as it looks reasonably dry.  With rain and those temps, you'll have to make a judgement about long sleeves (I'd rather err a little to warmth on the bike and take it off for the run).  But unless it's noticibly cooler, you probably don't need much more than that.

2009-05-05 2:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I did a tri the weekend of the Superbowl and the temps dropped to nearly freezing, which is really cold for Florida.  I had planned that after the swim, I would throw on running tights and a top. I got about half way in putting on the tights and decidede to ditch the idea.  It was too tough to put them on, being wet, so I just through on a loose jacket and kept the legs exposed.  It was a sprint so I knew the cold would only be temporary, but in all honesty, I could have gone with out and during the run I actually was regretting wearing the jacket.  I think once you get moving, you'll be fine, do a little extra warm up to get the blood flowing.
2009-05-05 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2131942

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
JohnnyKay - 2009-05-05 1:07 PM I did the race at Harriman the past two years.  There is a HUGE difference between 50 degrees and raining and 60 degrees and dry when you are on the bike. 

Two years ago in 50F w/rain I wore a long-sleeve zip-up jersey on the bike and should have gone with some gloves and leg cover too.  I barely survived until the run (which was far better than some others).

Last year, in trying to make up for it, I took gloves & leg warmers in addition to the long sleeve.  But temps got up to near 60F and there was no rain so I ended up a little too warm (never actually put the gloves on, but had them stuffed in my pocket).

With the forecast going into the 60s, I would be tempted to go with less as long as it looks reasonably dry.  With rain and those temps, you'll have to make a judgement about long sleeves (I'd rather err a little to warmth on the bike and take it off for the run).  But unless it's noticibly cooler, you probably don't need much more than that.

I agree.  I did an oly last year in 50s and rain and people got hypothermic.  I was glad I took a couple seconds to put on a jacket, leg warmers and full gloves.  Just don't try to put a fitted shirt on in T1 when you're wet.
2009-05-05 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown
So it is probably a good idea to run out and grab a cycling jacket and have it incase, rather than wearing some type of long sleeved shirt?
2009-05-05 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

Here in Minnesota, most races in May are indoor swims (we're happy if ice is off the lakes by mid April).  Last year and the year before my first race of the year was cold:  upper 40s with wind, sleet, and rain two years ago and lower 40s with strong wind last year.

Both times I didn't put anything on over my two-piece tri suit.  Might I have been more comfortable if I had something else on?  Probably.  Was my performance decreased by lack of additional clothing, I don't think so.  I figure that any time I would have gained by being a little bit warmer would have been more than offset by trying to put on wet clothes in T1.

That is just my experience, though.  Dealing with colder water in an OWS may change things.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Weather Race Attire??? Rss Feed