General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling in Des Moines Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-06 7:39 AM

Subject: Cycling in Des Moines
I'm heading to DSM this weekend with my family for a baseballl tournament. I have a 3.5 hour ride to get get in between games at I think the Southside Park. Could anyone suggest a good trail or safe roads to get in around 60 miles

2009-05-06 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2133313

User image

Regular
Des Moines, IA
Subject: RE: Cycling in Des Moines
1. Great Western Bike Trail - starting at Waterworks Park - approx 37mi round trip, all bike trail
Link - http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ia/des-moines/481964899

2. Dsm -> Winterset & back - rural highway, be cautious of traffic.
Link - http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ia/des-moines/649782382

3. Neil Smith Trial - ride the NST up to Saylorville Res., then head North from there and fart around on some of the county roads. Stay away from Hwy 415 though, high traffic. Check out a map before to familiarize yourself with the roads.

All the best and if you see a baby blue Cannondale tri-bike near Saylorville, that's me!

2009-05-06 8:10 PM

Thanks, I'll keep on the lookout for ya
2009-05-11 12:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
WI
Hi, from a Wes-consinite!  (Middleton/Madison).  Just the info I started to look for for cycling in your area, thanks!  Looks like I will be traveling to Iowa (esp. Des Moines) a few times this year and hope to get familiar with some of the area's SBR venues.  I am currently signed up for Hy-Vee and Pigman Long-Course (my first 1/2 iron).

I assume the Great Western Trail is paved?  Is there a place to park at the water park that is mentioned for starting at?  I am looking at riding next Monday morning so I would guess there's little traffic to get in the way for averaging 16-17mph?

Also, not to hi-jack the thread, but have people started to swim at the Hy-Vee venue?

Thanks in advance!  I hope some of you make a trip up here for training or one race or another. (Watch for the road closure on the IM Moo bike loop - otherwise you'll portage your ride across a ditch!)
2009-05-11 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2143633

User image

Regular
Des Moines, IA
Great Western is paved. Several gravel road crossings, but otherwise paved the entire way. There are several areas to park off of Park Ave. Gravel road right by the trail(on Park Ave.), a public parking lot behind Orlondo's pizza off of George Flagg Pkwy, or I'm sure Orlondo's Bar & Grill wouldn't mind as long as you cooled off with a pizza and a pitcher!

I haven't see or heard of anyone swimming at the Hy-Vee venue (Blue Heron... I think). Folks will start hitting the lake come late May or June for sure. We need just a tiny bit more warmer weather, but then again, I'm a wimp when it comes to that. Personally, I dislike swimming in most all Iowa lakes because they're dirty. Get in, get 'er done and get out!

If you like trails, also check out the Raccoon River Valley Trail which is up to 56 miles one way. Not bad if you want to stay of the roads.

2009-05-12 10:42 PM

I really enjoyed the Great Western trail, I was actualy on a different trail that they were patching and got detoured. I ran into a lady who hooked me up and got me to where I was heading. I believe the trail I set out on was the Jon and Pat Dorian trail. Probably one of the first in the area. Bring plenty of water, I found that all the faucets were still shut off, but there is a pretty decent bar in the town of Cummings that took care of me

2009-05-13 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2147368

User image

Regular
Des Moines, IA
Good to hear. Yes, that area has trail feeds in many directions which I probably should've made you aware of. Glad you found your way. Cummings Tap is a very biker friendly place as is Orlondo's. As much as I'd love to stop at the tap while biking the GWBT, I know I'll end up just hanging there for the rest of the afternoon and calling my wife for a pick up later in the day!
2009-05-20 9:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
WI
I ended up taking the Raccoon River trail from Waukee.  I only needed an hour recovery ride and it was closest.  Saw a few cyclists around noon.  Looking forward to trying new trails.  I was amazed at how many smaller connectors there are around town.

Thanks for the info - it was a great start.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling in Des Moines Rss Feed