General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello, from SW Missouri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-11 11:29 PM

Subject: Hello, from SW Missouri
Hey,

I ran across this site while searching for some information regarding workout techniques. At the end of the summer I'm signing my contract and going into the service--the Army to be specific--and heading into Special Forces. It's been over a year since I last worked out on a serious training program, but I'm turning that around and trying to find the best fit for an over all training plan.

After reading the website for a couple hours, I figured Triathlon training would be the most all around training program I could use--Swim, Bike, Run, and a decent weight lifting routine with a healthy dose of pushups, situps, and pullups thrown in for good measure.

I am still trying to see which program is best for me. I probably wont enter my first Triathlon for a few years, but the training is solid so I plan to enter one when I get settled down someplace.

While I am on here, I might as well ask a quick question. Based on your experience(s), which program is best fitted for the military? As of now, I can run a steady 2-mile before I really start to drop a lung. I’d like to end up were I am running 8-10 miles a few times a week with no problem and swimming 1000m relatively easy. Biking isn’t a main concern right now, but I’d like to use it as a secondary type workout. I am a skinny armed (130lbs) 5'11'' 19 year old male. I need to build some muscle mass, I'd like to get up in the 150lbs. rage before I leave.

Thanks for your time.

Respectfully,
John

Edited by JMH85 2005-04-11 11:37 PM

2005-04-11 11:38 PM
in reply to: #141430

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Hello, from SW Missouri

Welcome John! And thanks for serving in the military. You are right, triathlon training will be good preparation for your time in the Special Forces. A lot of our training programs mirror some of the Navy Seal workouts: http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm.

For what you need you probably need a swim-focused training plan and maybe the Couch to 5K or 10K program. That way you can get good swim workouts in and get the running endurance you need. Add some strength work outs and you're good to go.

Glad you're here and God Bless!

2005-04-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: #141430

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Hello, from SW Missouri
Welcome!  I'm not sure where to direct you as far as a plan, but you are right....tri training is great and well rounded.  Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello, from SW Missouri Rss Feed