General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help needed to heal blisters *Please* Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-12 1:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Help needed to heal blisters *Please*
I have new Orthotics which I picked up last Thurs and have done two runs with them in my shoes. Wow what a difference.

But this morning on a training run I developed two great big blisters under the ball of my foot. The Podatrist said this would probably happen. what he didn't say or suggest was
1 How to heal them and
2 How do I keep training with them.

I obviously need to get used to having the orthotics as its a major change to my runnign style. I have my next tri in 4 weeks time so I don't want to cut any running out of my training, but obviously I can't run with blisters.

I've got really good shoes and have never had a problem with blisters before so its definately just the orthotics causing the problem

Any help would be very very welcome...

thanks

Mel

2005-04-12 4:48 AM
in reply to: #141452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Help needed to heal blisters *Please*
There's generally 2 schools of thought on this.

One is to drain them, the other is to leave them as the fluid inside will help them heal.
Generally I'm a drainer, its pretty rank - I use a pin and tissues and drain drain drain. I find that they dry out pretty quickly and I'm back running again in no time, without pain.

If I have time I'll let them heal themselves, usually I'm too impatient.
If the blisters have rubbed so badly, that the skin's off and they're bleeding then its all about antiseptic - tea tree oil/cream is a personal fave - and some heavy duty bandaid action.

Good luck, good to hear the orthotics are making a difference!
2005-04-13 3:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Thanks for your advice. I stopped by the chemist on my way home from work yesterday, and got some heavy duty bandaids. which did the trick this morning.

I was soo surprised the amount of different products you can get for blisters at the chemist!! There was stuff to prevent blisters, stuff to heal blisters and even a Bandaid brand blister spray! (which was a ridiculous price so I didn't even look twice at it)

I'm soo glad the orthotics are making a difference too. I'm actually amazed that my shins don't hurt at all! I've been having so much pain while I was running, and its all gone.
I think the massages I've had have helped too though
2005-05-03 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
I bought new shoes, went out for a nice long run and came back with blisters on my toes. But since then I've been rubbing vasline on the blister prone area before I run, and I've not blistered since.

Matthew
2005-05-04 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Thanks for the tip Matthew, I've got a tri on SAt and I'm a bit worried as every time i've run I've got blisters but I might test out the vaseline and hopefully that helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help needed to heal blisters *Please* Rss Feed