General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pipestem Creek Trail Run and Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-07 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND
Subject: Pipestem Creek Trail Run and Triathlon : Official Thread

Hey ND BTers!!!  Just trying to get the word out about the Pipestem Creek Trail Run and Off Road Triathlon happening July 25th 2009. 

This is going to be an awesome set up for a race!!  There is a solo competition and a team relay competition.  The solo competitors will swim 1 mile (or abouts) from the Parkhurst boat dock on the North side of the Pipestem Reservoir to the North Shore landing, from there they huff it up a hill to the transition area on the Pipestem office lawn.  Hopping on their MTB, they will do one lap on the 8 mile Pipestem Trail, home of the annual Gear Grinder MTB race.  This is a challenging course with several back to back climbs and descents and features 1000 feet of climbs (not bad for ND)!!!!  The run will begin back at the office yard at the North Ridge trailhead.  This is a windy (long I sound, not breezy), sheltered and scenic trail that leads 5 miles back to Parkhurst where this whole thing began. 

The facility this race is taking place on is fantastic and is set up very nicely for spectators and athletes alike!  As a matter of fact, I have contacted the head of the XTERRA Points Series, Andrew Marsh, and this race could be added to their points race calendar for the 2010 season!! 

Feel free to contact me with any questions by PM.  Also look for the big flashy poster at your LBS within the next few weeks!!! 

2009-05-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2137734

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND
Subject: RE: Pipestem Creek Trail Run and Triathlon : Official Thread

The swim portion of this race has been shortened to 1k, rather than 1 mile.  There were too many people who were frightened by the 1 mile designation on the swim. 

2009-05-23 10:45 PM

Borderline ND
Where exactly in the state is this event located???I am not familiar with pipestem Creek.

Sounds like a Blast and count me in.

Thanks for the info.
2009-05-24 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2170324

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

4 miles north of Jamestown on 281.  Pipestem Dam and Lake Project.  Head North out of Jamestown on Hwy 281 and you can't miss the sign that points to Pipestem to the West.  The MTB portion of the race is held on the same course as the annual Gear Grinder Race. 

I have also spoken with the head of the XTERRA Points Series about being added to their race calendar for 2010.  The process begins in July. 

2009-06-04 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Ok, the posters and flyers for the race have been placed in Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks, Aberdeen, Minneapolis (and surrounding), Duluth, Sioux Falls, and Rapid City.  Hopefully this gets the word out and someone other than me will post to the Race Talk.

2009-06-05 9:46 AM

User image

Don't forget the Spearfish, SD bike shops and sending a poster to the Campground Store at Iron Creek Lake where the ths SD Xterra's held.

I'm trying to get a team together.

2009-06-07 5:44 PM

Borderline ND
poly a team?? I am getting pumped for this and am looking forward to it.. see ya there..
2009-06-13 9:20 AM

User image

Gunner,

Yep, a team.

I've rode the Pipestem bike path about ten times.

The race volunteers would not want to stay long enough for me to finish the bike section.

2009-06-13 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

You guys rock!!  Registration really kicked in over the last week.  Looks like the posters are beginning to work.  Thanks!!

2009-06-19 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Just an FYI for eveyone out there:  The event will be chip timed and results will be available instantly.  In addition to that your race entry fee gets you a catered picnic after the race!!  Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend at the Race to Sunset!  I'll be doing the 5 hour solo race and speaking at the post event dinner about the off road tri. 

2009-06-26 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Hello everyone.  Slight correction on the timing of the race.  We will not have the race chip timed.  My good friend who timed the state road race manually for many years has assured me he will take care of the timing.  The funds just weren't there for the $1700 fee. 

2009-12-04 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Just a quick follow up post.  This race will now be known as XTERRA Pipestem Creek as we have been added to the XTERRA America Tour!!!  This is excellent news and will kick this event up several notches.  Planning has already begun and key sponsors have already committed, so check the new website periodically at www.pipestemxterra.com!!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pipestem Creek Trail Run and Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed