General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling question - Help HR training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-17 9:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Cycling question - Help HR training

Ok, I have just started to get back on the bike (exercise bike at the Y) since my IT band problems started 6 weeks ago.  So far I have done two 30 min workouts and felt pretty good.  However, I have noticed others on this board mention that their HR for the bike is so much lower than when they run.  I have also seen from articles that the HR for the bike using certain formula's works out to about 10 beats lower.  I do realize we are all different and without doing a max HR test I won't truely know what my max is for the run or the bike.  Now that the disclaimers are out, when I bike my HR is so much higher than when I run with the same perceived effort.  Last night (it is in my log) I used level 6 and kept my cadence at 95-100 or so and could of even gone 100-110 with little effort....HR = 148 with 75% equal to about 153 (for run).  I bumped it up to level 7 and kept my cadence at 85-95 or so with a little more effort but my HR went up to 160.  Just for fun I went to level 8 and the HR jumped to 171.  When I run I keep my HR below the 153 without too much problem on a 10 min/mile pace.    Any ideas why my bike HR is so much higher?   Is it because I am just not in 'bike' shape?  I would think outside would be a little harder and then probably a higher HR for the same speed.   What type of training should I do?  Lower my level to 5, spin at 100 and be patient until my HR stays low before moving to level 6?  Mind you that level 5/6 is about 12 mph and not going to cut it in a race 16 weeks away.  Does any of this make sense?

I will be out of the office most of the day today so any additional info anyone would need or what to help I will be glad to provide it tomorrow or later tonight.  Thanks for any input.

Edited by Rio 2004-03-17 9:34 AM

2004-03-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: #12820

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Cycling question - Help HR training
You're right that it does seem strange that your cycling rate is higher than running rate.

Do you come from a cycling background? Because apparently cyclists who start running tend to have the same heart rate regardless of which they do.

I'd say try doing a max HR test on both the bike and running. That would tell you whether there is some validity to your higher Bike HR.

And by the way, if you have just begun cycling again, I would get in some "base" training first, regardless of how soon your race is. You don't want to injure yourself.
2004-03-17 10:51 AM

User image

Yeah - the HR thing is weird.....

I would expect the opposite.

Also, I would not take much stake in what the MPH of the Exercise Bike says. I've been on Bikes where I would ride for an hour and only cover 10 miles (10 mph) and others that said I'm doing 25 mph. I expect that if you were to use a bike with a mph computer - you would find that you are traveling much faster then what the exercise bike says. Out of curiosity, what brand is teh exercise bike at your Y?

2004-03-17 10:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

No cycling background, I rode a MTB for about a month before winter came. 

I use my Polar HRM when using the bike so I know it's pretty accurate and the kind of bike I think is a Lifecycle.  Plus I can't change it to miles from kilo's but that just is a little math.  They (the Y staff) couldn't do it either even though it is an option.

Question: Can I get a MHR using the exercise bike?  I was going to wait until I could get outdoors.

2004-03-17 11:26 AM

User image

Probably better to wait until you can get outside. Frustarating, I know - I have the same issue.

You might be able to rig the exercise bike with a bike computer - if they let you.....

2004-03-17 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I would wait till you can ride outside to figure max HR. Also, know that when your pedal cadence is high, your heart rate will tend to be higher due to increase aerobic work from higher cadence. I would think comparing a stationary bike to running would be close to the same HR. However, your cadence and resistance can certainly alter your avg HR.

2004-03-18 10:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks for the info.  I will probably try to maybe decrease me cadence at the higher levels and keep my HR as low as I can. 
2004-03-18 10:35 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
"Ok, I have just started to get back on the bike"

That part may leave some clues If you have been running and not biking you may just be in an adjustment period using different muscles.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling question - Help HR training Rss Feed