General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running get any easier? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-30 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2145803

Subject: RE: Does running get any easier?
I shouldnt have to pay a penny for the orthodics or the visit. I got pretty good insurance. Definaly going to try and get to a real running shoe store and have them take a look as well. One of these days I can get to the big sity.

2009-05-31 9:34 PM

Regular
I am also new to tri's and I am going to do my 1st sprint tri this weekend and I am dreading the run.  How well does treadmill work translate into dry land running?  I have been able to run 2.5 miles at about a 10.5 minutes mile pace on the treadmill. I can also handle some pretty step inclines 8-12% at 5 mph (or 12 minute mile)  but I wasn't sure how well that will translate into a real run.  I have been to self conscience to run outside. 
2009-06-01 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2185246

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
kklems - 2009-05-31 9:34 PM I am also new to tri's and I am going to do my 1st sprint tri this weekend and I am dreading the run.  How well does treadmill work translate into dry land running?  I have been able to run 2.5 miles at about a 10.5 minutes mile pace on the treadmill. I can also handle some pretty step inclines 8-12% at 5 mph (or 12 minute mile)  but I wasn't sure how well that will translate into a real run.  I have been to self conscience to run outside. 

Do yourself a favor, and get outside and run before your tri...even if it is only 1 time!  It's a huge difference from the shock-absorbing properties of a treadmill.   If your body is not prepared for it, you may be in for a torture-fest.  Take it from somebody who does a LOT of treadmill running...you need to get outside before your race.  

As far as translating treadmill running to outdoor running...the general consensus (from what I've read here on BT and on other forums) is to use a 1% incline if running on the treadmill.   Unless the race you're doing has a steep, hilly run portion, I see no need to be running at 8-12% inclines on a treadmill.  Heck, I would find it pretty difficult just walking at those inclines....let alone running at them.   
2009-06-27 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I started this thread back in May and I'm so happy to announce that running does get easier!  Yesterday I was able to run 9km (about 5.5 miles) in 53 minutes without having to walk at all.  This is a major accomplishment for someone who used to say he "couldn't run."  I can't wait for my next tri to see just how much I've improved. I was also able to swim 2km without stopping today so I'm really jacked to be getting into shape and feeling like simply finishing is no longer my goal.
2009-06-27 10:08 PM

User image

Excellent!!!!  Congrats!!
2009-06-27 10:30 PM
in reply to: #2247838

User image

On your right
Awesome job, you're really making great progress.

2009-06-28 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2157067

Garceau - 2009-05-18 7:34 AM I hope so....... I was out of town for 10 days without my bike. I had decided I would compete in a sprint tri this year. Im a big guy and I really have a hard time running. Not the cardio part, surprisingly thats not that big of an issue for me. Im 270lbs with two bad knees, lumbar fusion and flat feet. So just the mere fact of running is an issue for me.

So I was in San Antonio which is a bit of a weather shock coming from Wisconsin. I was able to get out running a few days. I really thought I would be better than I was. I honestly couldnt run, I couldnt get my mind around it and couldnt focus on pushing through the pain. This was a real bummer as I thought with the biking and the weight loss I would have been much stronger. I figured I could run a mile easy enough. In reality I struggled with a half mile.

I honestly felt a bit dejected.

I have approved disability claims for people with less medical history than you have.  You should be proud of yourself for getting out there!  FInd a reasonable goal and keep striving to over achieve!
2009-06-28 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2146300

User image

Expert
Decatur
gcirongirl - 2009-05-12 2:27 PM Yeah. I hate being "that girl" too. But yes, running does get easier as long as you are consistent at getting good training in. It has taken me a couple of years, but now it is my favorite sport of the three.

this makes me feel good.

but consistency is partly my problem. i'm going to work on that. this weekend i realized i would have been middle of the pack if i could run. didn't make me sad, it made me very happy!
2009-06-28 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Yes running does get easier for me it gets easier as I lose weight and keep running more.  I can run 5k now with some walking but not much.  Before I couldn't even run a mile.
2009-06-28 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2247838

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Fatboy32 - 2009-06-27 9:57 PM I started this thread back in May and I'm so happy to announce that running does get easier!  Yesterday I was able to run 9km (about 5.5 miles) in 53 minutes without having to walk at all.  This is a major accomplishment for someone who used to say he "couldn't run."  I can't wait for my next tri to see just how much I've improved. I was also able to swim 2km without stopping today so I'm really jacked to be getting into shape and feeling like simply finishing is no longer my goal.

Wow you have gone along way those number look good for someone who was dead last in the run a month ago.  I haven't even got that far yet.  You will see termendous improvement. I still have to walk abit in 5k runs.
2009-06-30 1:51 PM

If you have an I pod download the couch to 5k app.  Its a run/walk program that works pretty well. I am in my second week and it seems to be helping my ankle pain that really is slowing down my running.  Its a 3 times a week/9 week program and it sets off an alarm when to run when to walk and keeps track of your progress.

2009-07-03 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2157723

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

eabeam - 2009-05-18 10:11 AM I started at 250, and I am down to 235 (Also have 2 screws in my Right knee)

Since December, I am finally at the point where my cardio and/or muscles are the limiting factor.

Did a lot of "Walk 1/4 mile, run 1/4 mile (even if I felt that I could do more), repeat.

Until my joints and legs got used to it.

Just broke 4 miles without walking last Friday.

Stick with it, and don't be cheap on getting fitted for a good set of running shoes that match your needs.

Great advice.  I followed a similar method beginning in March, almost to three miles without a walk break now.  Even now, I do walk / run after I go as far I can without walking until my "time" is done - 30-45 minutes!

2009-07-04 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I actually hit 6 miles with one brief walk 3 weeks ago, then I got hit with the flu and a lazy trip to San Diego.
I will try to put in 6 miles without stopping tomorrow morning.
( I put in a 1:40 bike ride this am.)
2009-07-05 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I agree about getting the good shoes. My most recent pair feel like they're actually throwing me down the road.  It's an amazing feeling to be running and not putting in the same effort as before and the only difference is the shoes.
2009-07-28 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Flower Mound, TX
More than anything learn to run properly and that reduces 80% of "issues". A post mentioned heel strike, that right there is a huge problem especially for us bigger folks. That stress is transferred to joints (whicha ren't amde for shock absorption) instead of our muscles which are built for it. Take your shoes off an run barefoot and you will find your body knows to land on the mid-forefoot with the heel just off the ground, land lightly and be off the ground quickly. That is the most efficient way to run and shoe companies have messed us all up, especially the bigger people because they automatically assume we need a big shoe like the Brooks Beast. I know this because they put me in it when I was actually a neutral striker. I made a concerted effort to change my running form and am now a consistent mid-forefoot striker and the "issues" have vanished and I am a lot faster than the skinny folks...

I actually saw some great videos on it at http://www.newtonrunning.com check them out
2009-07-29 12:03 AM

User image

Elite
x2 on heel striking. When I started getting back into running this spring I had a much-too-long stride and was landing on my heels, leading to significant shin and hip pain. I started to run slower, longer distances, focusing on a shorter stride and quicker cadence and just trying to stay moving for as long as I could. My times definitely started to come down and I was able to run longer without stopping.

I also agree with everyone who's said the key is consistency. It's a big pain to make yourself run 3-4 times per week, but it pays off and like many others in this thread, I've started to enjoy running again. Congrats to the OP, and best of luck to everyone else!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running get any easier? Rss Feed  

of 2