General Discussion Triathlon Talk » eat, work, school, workout, sleep...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-12 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise
Subject: eat, work, school, workout, sleep......
So i've noticed over the last semester at school that it has been hard figuring out free time for when i workout. I've made it to finals week and barely have any time to workout this week, so hopefully summer will help me get in some good hours. This semester has been the hardest for me in dealing with so many things at once. I don't know how to prioritize with a full time job, going to school full time, homework, and putting hours in to a workout every day. Along with the ol girlfriend, we all know how much time they take up....not in a bad way though.

So....i'm sure i'm not the only one struggling, there's got to be students like me or just anyone in general that has a busy life. any tips that i can go off of for me next semester?.....i need to workout more, but yet, i need to finish school. i got 2 more years.....i need some advice or tips for the road. Thanks.

2009-05-12 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2146824

Expert
Subject: RE: eat, work, school, workout, sleep......
Do the majority of your training in the early mornings and weekends.

That leaves the weeknights mostly free when I'm most busy with tests, assignments etc. Try to maybe fit in shorter, sharper workouts rather than long slow ones, anything is better than nothing, when I'm pushed for time I cut my bike and run ditances/times down but go a bit harder and just try work on skills/technique rather than going for 3+ hour rides and 1+ hour runs.

If you miss a workout because you've got a test the next day or something don't stress, it only makes it worse... believe me! been there, done that and not good.

Good lucky with study.
2009-05-12 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
I feel your pain, and it gets no easier once you are not a student.  Thought I'd get out of work on time today, since I started early.  Nope....still here, on a conference call, on hold because the caller got called away to another meeting, and I'm expected to hold.  I still have a 70 minute commute home and a 45 minute run scheduled....looks like it'll be a hungry and dark (headlamp though) run.
2009-05-12 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

You think school and a GF are tough to juggle...just wait until that GF is a wife and you have kids.

Hey, do the best you can.  If you are with the right person, they will get it.  If they don't get it...then you probably know the next answer.

Most of us struggle along the way.  It is the nature of most of us to fill our lives to the point of bursting.  Maybe take a minute to prioritize and do the best you can with what you decide is important in your life.  No one can ask for most than that.

2009-05-12 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2146924

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Scottt - 2009-05-12 3:19 PM

You think school and a GF are tough to juggle...just wait until that GF is a wife and you have kids.

QFT  - Newlyweds get giddy at sneaking away for an intimate session.  After nine years of marriage, I was ecstatic that my schedule allowed me an extra hour for a ride
2009-05-12 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2146909

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

kagoscuba - 2009-05-12 3:10 PM Nope....still here, on a conference call, on hold because the caller got called away to another meeting, and I'm expected to hold.  

I'm confused....  Are you on with your boss?  President of the company?  The President?  Whoever it is does not respect you...

2009-05-12 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2146935

User image

Expert
daijoubu - 2009-05-12 6:29 PM

kagoscuba - 2009-05-12 3:10 PM Nope....still here, on a conference call, on hold because the caller got called away to another meeting, and I'm expected to hold.  

I'm confused....  Are you on with your boss?  President of the company?  The President?  Whoever it is does not respect you...

CIO....and yes, I'm still on the call...only issue now is I'm listening to other projects I have no management control over, and mine is still on the agenda.
2009-05-12 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I feel your pain. Sounds like you're doing everything you can, it's definatly hard.  I try to workout in the mornings if I have a double.  I find it's easiest to swim in the morning, sees to wake me up the most.  Hang in there! And summer is coming!

2009-05-12 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise
thanks everyone. It's always comforting to know i'm not the only one. even though ur mind tells you you are sometimes....haha. i guess that's just part of the training process, being able to work through the hard times.

2009-05-12 6:38 PM

User image

Torreon, Mexico

With a full time job myself, a 2 year old at home, family, meetings and all the rest, I feel just like you.  Just as mentioned before, I found that early mornings (when my nights have been good -my daughter doesn’t sleep much-) and weekends are the best for me.
Friday after work, Saturday and Sunday, I can log at least 50% of my weekly training by training a good 1.5-2 hours each time.
As well, I found that following a strict training plan doesn’t work for me as my schedule varies too much everyday, so if I find myself with a 45 min. of free time during the week, I run or take my bike for a short intense workout.

Just like you, I just can’t wait for the holidays to be here, so I can workout everyday as much as I want (as much as I can!).  Good luck.

2009-05-12 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

I find for me, the best method is to send my family away on vacation!  At least for the last month it's worked.  After that, it's prioritizing.  Do I really want to watch that show with my wife?  Can I go to sleep now and get my run in before work?  Can I get to work early and skip coffee so I can get to the pool on my lunch?  Can I setup the trainer and do my bike workout indoors in the evening after my son has gone to bed?  Can I trade off childminding duties with my wife so she gets Saturday afternoon out with her friends and I get Sunday morning for a long ride or run?  And sometimes the training plan loses.  Anniversarry always wins, Birthday always wins.  I'm sure I'll be the dad running laps at my sons soccer/baseball practice in the future.  

If you get bored of the routine, throw a wrench in it for a week.  Throw out the plan and just make your session fun.  Go mountain biking instead of that 1 hour L2 bike ride, join a group run instead of doing it solo, or throw it away and take a rest week.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » eat, work, school, workout, sleep...... Rss Feed