General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elliptical Trainer vs. Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-17 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: Elliptical Trainer vs. Running
What are peoples thoughts on an ellipitical trainer vs running?

My options are somewhat limited by time, as I don't get to workout until evening, far after it is light enough
to run safely outside, but my gym has all sorts of torture...err exercise machines.

The run is my weakest area, but I've also had problems with my knees in the past and currently have a slight pain in my left achilles. Stretching a lot, doing some yoga, and such, but I'm holding back on running at the moment other than short jogs as I don't want to risk injury during my first Tri season.

Is doing a lower impact work on an ellipitcal trainer beneficial in lieu of running on a treadmill? I want to work my run, since it's where i need the most work, but can't directly work on running too hard.

-Chris

2004-03-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #12917

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-03-17 4:28 PM

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Elliptical Trainer vs. Running
Chris,I was an ellyptical freak for a while. I really thought I was getting a work out. But unfortunately there's just no substitute for strapping on those shoes and running. The ellyptical does help with your knees but quite frankly it did not help me get faster or breathe better when running. It's just not the same. Sorry. Ovetta.
2004-03-17 4:37 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL
I'm not trying to replace running with it, but looking for something other than 'not running' that will help work my legs. It's frustrating, as run is where I need the most work, but I don't want to push through the pain, as I want to be sure to avoid injury or worsening my achilles.

Certainly realizing there is no substitute for running, but curious if others have found eliptical training to be beneficial when running was not immediately doable. Or should I just stop worrying, and give my achilles a complete break for a week or so?

I'll read the other thread on this, thanks!

-Chris
2004-03-17 4:49 PM

Veteran
, Zurich
Have you tried deep water running? You'd have to get the flotation vest, but this would simulate the neuro patterns of running, provide some resistance, and reduce impact until your injuries get better. I think the Palatine Y has a deep section....

No excuse for night running--nearby Busse Woods and a Petzl LED headband lamp are all you need...just don't hit an elk.

S.
2004-03-17 5:04 PM

New York
When coming off a herniated disk, the elliptical helped me increase endurance without the impact of running. I felt that i got a pretty good workout. I would do 3 miles on a weight loss or fat burn program and built up ap good sweat. I recently switched to running on the treadmill and i feel my wind was improved. That being said, the run is a better workout, but the elliptical is very useful

my .02

2004-03-17 5:22 PM
in reply to: #12932

Pro
St Charles, IL
Heh, I'm not opposed to running outside, but I only work in Palatine, I live out in Algonquin. All the parks/trails out there that are near my house have signs that say 'closed at sunset'. I live 1/4 mile from Lifetime Fitness, so it's very convenient to head over to the gym and use the facilities there.

I'm not taking a huge break from running here, or looking for an excuse not to. Just wondering if others who
took a break for achilles or other problem, just took time off, or replaced running with eliptical training or something else during the recovery period.

Seems like a fair number of folks here from the NW Subs of Chicago. It's a small world. Maybe we should have a Chicago area BT get together when it's a bit warmer.

-Chris
2004-03-17 10:38 PM

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I'm a very bad runner -as in very VERY bad. But I can do the elliptical all the live-long day. I'd work up a sweat and i'm sure I'd do my heart mescle some good, but it's the impact that makes running hard for me. if I'm going to actually do this tri-thing, it's the impact I have ti get used to. So, no, the elliptical is not all that helpful. The treadmill has been a little more helpful. Well, a lot more helpful, but most people aren't starting as far back in the running pack as I am.

And I'm in DeKalb, by the way. If you ever want to meet up for a walk/jog/slog or a bike ride, or coffee for that matter, I'm totally up for that. I'm a pretty good swimmer, but it's hard to have a good conversation while swimming

Andrea
2004-03-17 11:02 PM

Running is definitely NOT my thing. I am training to run a 5K without injury, and without walking part of it. I agree that the elliptical does not do it, but when my pains are there -- be it shins, knee or ankle -- I do use the elliptical to keep the cardio thing up, and to not do further damage to the legs.

My 2cents

2004-03-18 12:24 AM

, Alabama

The elliptical, as well as deep water running, are good for general aerobic workouts and strengthening.  However, if you plan on any road races or tri's, your joints need to get used to the impact of the road or you can really screw up your knees.  as long as your achilles tendon is acting up, making your longer run days on the elliptical may be a good thing, but as you feel better, you may want ot gradually decrease elliptical time and increase real road time.

Sharon

2004-03-18 10:35 AM

Pro
St Charles, IL
Andrea - Sure, I'm trying to find other tri minded people out where I live. I'm just off the prarie trail bike path, which you can ride all the way up to wisconsin if one was so inclined. Once the weather decides to act like spring instead of winter though. Snow is not so much fun.

Sharon - Yeah, that's my plan. I just want to do something to work legs/cardio on my run days while I'm resting my achilles. I feel guilty if I just do nothing.

Thanks everyone!
-Chris

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elliptical Trainer vs. Running Rss Feed