Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Rant - If I didn't love riding so much... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-17 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Rant - If I didn't love riding so much...

I'm very quickly growing more and more cynical of the world of cycling.  Yesterday on my ride around Cherry Creek Res., of the two or three dozen people I saw, maybe six people waved or even acknowledged that I was there.  I guess I'm just more of an anomoly since I try to say hi or wave to everyone that I pass/passes me in the same direction or opposite.  One guy passed me and just kept on riding - nothing.  One guy I passed, to whom I said, "Hi," seemed very surprised that I did, like it had never happened to him before.  On the two-lane stretch of what was Jordan Rd. from the shooting center south (for those of you who know Cheery Creek), I passed the same guy twice, both times in the opposite direction.  Well he was just too busy, head down, in his "I'm in such a training zone I can't look" zone.  I actually wanted to turn around, chase him down, and tap him on the shoulder just to say, "Hi!  Now that wasn't so hard was it?"  Which, by the end of my ride, I was seriously contemplating having printed on a jersey.  Big bold letters - HI! - with the latter part printed under it.

Oh well.  Just one of those things with which I guess I'll have to learn to live.  I  will still wave and say, "Hi,"  and learn to appreciate those that can return the sentiment.

It's like I told my wife when I got home, "If I didn't love riding so much, I'd hate it!"

Live well, ride strong, say, "Hi!"

2005-04-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: #143683

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Rant - If I didn't love riding so much...
I'm with you. I at least raise my hand in acknowledgement. The pedestrians and "pleasure cyclists" would look startled and say hi. The "training cyclists" would ignore me like I wasn't in their class.

I say stuff it. I'm going to keep saying hi.
2005-04-17 6:33 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
That's just those snobby Colorado cyclists. Come down here and we'll give a big  "Hi y'all" or "Laissez les bon temps roullez" or "on your left, pokey."
2005-04-17 10:38 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Well, that's what happens when yankees try to be nice. Come to Flatland, Georgia and every man woman and child you pass will acknowledge your existance and possibly try to pull you into a complete conversation as you fly past on your bike. Today was a gorgeous day so I must've passed 20 people out walking, biking, whatever, and everybody waved. Even the Tour De Francers (my pet name for hard core cyclists) acknowledge you if they see you.

Of course, the downside is there's no hills, we've got mosquitos the size of vultures, and you might die in the humidity. But we'd wave to ya!

Seriously, keep up the waving. LIfe would be better if more folks stopped for the 1/100th of a second it takes to acknowledge other peoples' existance in a pleasant way.
2005-04-18 1:19 AM
in reply to: #143785

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-04-18 8:29 AM

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
I find the same problem with some runners as well as cyclists. I just keep saying hi to all of 'em, hoping that eventually the ice will crack.

Edited by dontracy 2005-04-18 8:31 AM

2005-04-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: #143860

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Edited by dontracy 2005-04-18 8:31 AM
2005-04-18 10:24 AM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I'm going to ride whether people wave a me or not.

I am resisting the temptation to go off on a rant here.

2005-04-18 11:07 AM
in reply to: #143812

Elite Veteran
flatland
Gwozdzilla - 2005-04-18 1:19 AM
My definition of elitest scumbag - spidery, super-cyclist, Lance looking guys, reeealy nice bikes, no helmet, no gloves, no sunglasses and are often wearing an iPod or some other music device.

That's my definition of an idiot. I would never consider anyone without a helmet a "super-cyclist" and I don't give a flying leap who you are. No helmet = total braindead moron.

Rant off.
2005-04-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: #143928

2005-04-18 12:32 PM

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
I've decided that some cyclists in CO are just oblivious and way too serious about their sport.  I usually wave at people, unless I'm dying on some big hill climb, in which case I'll just smile.  But I doubt the average cyclist even notices.  I just ignore it, and take pleasure in the few guys who are nice enough to say "Hey, how ya doin'?" when they fly past me

2005-04-18 1:41 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I just had a fabulous riding experience involving 2 flat tires and more volunteers to assist than I knew what to do with! I was awed by the willingness of people to stop, help, give me their spares, loan me their pumps... etc etc... People were not only generous but FRIENDLY too. I came home after my ride totally impressed with the cycling community as a whole. (!)

The flat tires themselves sucked, of course, but the demonstration of assistance was literally amazing.

Whizzzz

2005-04-18 3:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I don't wave I give a little nod and smile. New bike you know. Got to be careful.

Did get a flat once and all the people who I had gone by several times while circling with no smile or nod or hello, definitley took the time to ask if I had everything I needed, or if I needed help. But I'm also in Texas not Colorado.

I love riding for the wind in my face, and for testing my limits. It makes me feel like a kid again. I care about other cyclist, but I have to say my cycling is very self motivated. Its just too bad for all those people who have taken the fun out of it and can't smile. If its not fun its work. And I don't know about you, but 40 hours a week of work is enough for me. My training is fun. (Note if Im wheezing going up a hill and not smiling, Ill probably be smiling on the other side of the hill so that doesn't count.)
2005-04-18 3:30 PM

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Actually, even though I think the people in CO aren't always the friendliest when it comes to waving, etc, they're always helpful if you have a bike problem.  I stopped on the side of a road to adjust my seat one day, and 5 people riding by asked if I needed help!!  I had the tools I needed, but it's nice to know there isn't a shortage of people willing to help if not

2005-04-19 9:10 AM

Veteran
Central Connecticut
In the Long ISland, NY I try to give a wave (even If I am tucked into aero bars). Its just a friendly awknlodgment. Even most motorcyclists give me a wave (or anyone who is in a non enclosed vehicle). But I know who you are talking about, in any sport which involves going long distances away from your home its nice to say hello when you are running about. When I am running, biking, and even rowing its nice to know that you are in good company.

I am new to cycling, seeing all these pint sized spidery looking people on really spiff bikes can be a bit intimidating. And here I am 6'4" 215 lbs, riding an oldie road bike (which I am upgrading new seats, seatpost, bars, brakes, wheelsets), it makes me feel more welcome to the cycling community when people give a friendly wave or awknoldgment.
2005-04-19 9:27 AM

Veteran
Swindon

Over here in the UK (in my experience so far) the cyclists are generally very friendly.  It's unusual not to acknowledge another rider, and normally when they don't acknowledge you it's normally obvious they're working hard (head down, mashing etc) so that's OK by me.

But it's the runners that by and large are A$$es - I hardly ever get acknowledged by a fellow runner, and most look at you as if you're a freak if you acknowledge them.

2005-04-19 12:51 PM

Expert
Lafayette, CO

For both runners and cyclists, the ones that wave are typically the ones that 'get it'.  It's about the fitness, the life, the outdoors - in general, LIVING.  The ones that don't are either a) elitist snobs (who I usually try to chase down and pass - my way of saying "Told ya so" or b) the ones that are kinda clueless, don't know quite how to acknowledge back, but at least they're trying.

The snobs don't realize they're not as good as they think they are.  The clueless ones don't realize that they are better than they think they are.

If you see me riding or running, and I don't acknowledge you, please forgive me, but a kind "Hey jerk, where's the love?" would jar me from my stupor.  (That would likely happen towards the end of a long, intense workout...)

2005-04-26 9:02 PM

Regular
Sunriver, Oregon
What killed me was that when I started riding, I road a thrift store bike which I totally loved and rebuilt everything on. Eventually, my mileage got too high and I just wore it out and went to a new bike. Now, I had always waved and always stopped to help but didn't see alot of reciprocation. Now, with the pretty paint and the STI shifters, I get waves from everybody. Weird... And, as to riders without helmets=organ donors.

Chris
2005-04-26 11:01 PM

taswegia
You ever thought maybe they're enjoying themselves ;
Your not part of their life so It wont really matter if they say Hi or not back;
They were thinking of something else;
Their just not a social person;
It gets rather annoying afta yourve had about 50 people say hi while your cruising along;
Also maybe while their out its 'their time for themselves' and they don't wanna be interuptted
2005-04-27 12:24 AM
in reply to: #148708

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Rant - If I didn't love riding so much... Rss Feed