General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about cycling in Michigan...Traverse City Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-26 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Question about cycling in Michigan...Traverse City Area
So my family is coming up to Leland for a family vacation over the fourth of July. I just found some information on the Old Mission Peninsula Tour. I'll be due for a long ride (70-90 range) that weekend so in theory I was thinking about biking to the tour from Leland to Traverse City (26ish miles), doing the tour, then biking back to the house.

Now not knowing the roads in the area, are the 204 and the 22/Bay Shore Drive safe to bike on? Or is it more of a major highway that I should steer clear of? I'm having trouble discerning the quality of road/traffic/shoulder on google maps.

I'm sure I could get crafty and try and find an alternate route, but I figured I'd ask and see if any of you fine folks had some two cents to share.

Alternately...if anyone out there has any great routes to share (light traffic, descent roads) in the Leland/Traverse City area...please let me know! ORRRRRRRRRRR....know of an organized ride that's longer than the 36 mile tour in the area...

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!

2009-05-26 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2174135

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Question about cycling in Michigan...Traverse City Area
I have no idea about Traverse City, sorry- but when I was new to Ann Arbor, or ever go someplace new, I always use mapmyride.com to find routes that people have used in the area. It is a GREAT resource, and almost all of the rides that I've found there have been on safe, paved (not always a given in MI!!) roads.
2009-05-26 7:36 PM

What I recall about bayshore is idiot drivers. Try these guys, they are in the middle of town and are riders. They can probabley steer you in the right direction.

Joe

http://www.brickwheels.com/

Edited by Puppetmaster 2009-05-26 7:37 PM
2009-05-26 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Bay City, MI
In the summer those roads can be crowded with out of towners that have no clue where they are going and not really looking for a bike. outside of town is much better I usually have rode near Long Lake and Lake Ann both of which are nice.  Interlochen is also hit and miss for traffic near the state park but otherwise fairly peaceful since most of the performing arts camp kids ride bike around. onthe otherside of town out towards Acme is also fairly free of traffic. I don't live up there but I have spent a lot of time up there in my past. Someone from the area may no better areas.
2009-05-26 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

TC native here! But didn't really get into biking until after moving away for college!

One of the most popular routes is to go up the pennisula on either E Shore to Buff Rd, (east side),  or on the West via Penninsula Dr.  You can go all the way to the top and see the lighthouse.  i've also biked the Interlochen area and have enjoyed that.  Mapmyride is definatly a good source!

2009-05-27 1:27 AM

Master

I "ALMOST" did the same bike tour your are thinking about....it was a couple years ago and it ended up storming on that Sunday morning, so we skipped out.

Don't know much else about riding in the TC area, but I know that you're going to be up there for Cherry Festival weekend and it will be PACKED with people.  It's a blast though...you will have a lot of fun. 

Not sure how long you're in town, and you may have already seen this, but they have the Festival of Races (running) on Saturday July 11th.  There is a 15K and a 5k.

2009-05-27 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Another TC native here!  If you're staying in Leland, you can easily get in a long ride on the Leelanau peninsula...I wouldn't bother with the Old Mission peninsula...I'm sure the traffic will be crazy.  We did portions of the Leelanau Harvest 100 tour route 2 years ago during Cherry Festival week and we didn't have any issues with traffic.

Check out the following:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/mi/leelanau/946041979

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/mi/leelanau/24591507

You could also check in with the local cycling club to see if there are group rides that you could join:

http://www.cherrycapitalcyclingclub.org/

I'll be doing the Cherry Festival 5K too if you are staying for the week.

Hope that helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about cycling in Michigan...Traverse City Area Rss Feed