General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-05-28 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2177178

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL

pga_mike - 2009-05-27 9:48 PM All I'm gonna offer is that....

If I die in a race and my family sues, I'm gonna haunt their arses forever.

My wife and I both race.  Every time I jump in the water, get on my bike, or strap on my running shoes, I am aware that I could die.  Let me repeat that.  Every time I jump in the water, get on my bike, or strap on my running shoes, I am aware that I could die.

I'm not morbid, and the the thought only lasts a moment.  I'd much rather die in a race than sitting on the couch eating bon-bons.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
Fight Club

after all the crap that's been thrown out there in this thread...

...finally something simple that says it all...

I'm with you and I think the exact same thing!

WELL SAID!

2009-05-28 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2177214

User image

Master
Malvern, PA

DrPete - 2009-05-27 10:05 PM

My wife and I both race.  Every time I jump in the water, get on my bike, or strap on my running shoes, I am aware that I could die.  Let me repeat that.  Every time I jump in the water, get on my bike, or strap on my running shoes, I am aware that I could die.

I'm not morbid, and the the thought only lasts a moment.  I'd much rather die in a race than sitting on the couch eating bon-bons.

Fight Club

What if it were something the race organizers had control over? How about if everyone watching you drown on the swim were untrained and didn't do anything?

COME ON... now you're just picking at things... where does it stop? At what point do you determine what they could and could not control? At what point do you determine that "everyone" watching you drown isn't trained enough?

I think the point of this whole thread is that there is a huge GRAY area (and lawyers are there to determine whether it's more black or more white) but I think most of us are willing to concede that the GRAY area exists and it may some day cost us our life...

2009-05-28 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2177383

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-28 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2177237

Master
Malvern, PA

pga_mike - 2009-05-27 10:15 PM I always have the choice to plant my arse in front of the TV with a bucket of KFC and die the American way.

I also have the choice to not get in the water if I am not comfortable or feeling like I can finish.

I also have the choice to stick with pool swims.

I also have the choice to wear this.

I hope that someone would make an effort to save me if I was struggling in the water.  I also hope that the same would happen if I were having a heart attack in a marathon.  I also know that there is a chance that there will be no one there to save me at the exact moment that I need it.

ditto again.. you and I think very alike...

2009-05-28 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2177477

Master
Malvern, PA

DrPete - 2009-05-28 5:50 AM

John, you've got some stuff right and some stuff wrong in here. First, most paramedics get doctors away from the scene asap. Standard joke is that if someone runs up to a scene and says, "I'm a doctor!" you say, "Great, go direct traffic." Paramedics have a higher level of training in the field - they trump doctors. As in, if a doc runs up and tries to take over for advanced care, the medic MUST say no. As an EMT-B, *I* trump doctors in the field! Now, if the MD was also an EMT-I or medic, that'd be different.

Hmmm.... I love when people bring up the "rules."

I'm not an EMT, but I'm a surgeon with 6 years of experience--a large amount of that dedicated to trauma that most people will never see-- good thing roadside bombs, mortars, and RPGs aren't very common here in the US... I'm ACLS and PALS certified, an Advanced Trauma Life Support instructor, and graduated the US Army Combat Casualty Care Course.

Sorry, I'll go back to directing traffic. I have nothing to offer in an emergency. My bad.

i don't think he meant anything derogatory... he even apologized, I think... for no reason....

2009-05-28 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2177496

Master
Malvern, PA

PennState - 2009-05-28 6:58 AM

Slugger John, you've got some stuff right and some stuff wrong in here. First, most paramedics get doctors away from the scene asap. Standard joke is that if someone runs up to a scene and says, "I'm a doctor!" you say, "Great, go direct traffic." Paramedics have a higher level of training in the field - they trump doctors. As in, if a doc runs up and tries to take over for advanced care, the medic MUST say no. As an EMT-B, *I* trump doctors in the field! Now, if the MD was also an EMT-I or medic, that'd be different.

This is a generalization. You seem to have some issues with physicians no? Past bad experiences? I see no reason to deride one group. Your statement speaks for itself I guess when you say "go direct traffic"

Second, a paramedic sure as shootin' could get out of their car with an IV bag and start a line, as long as they do everything right. They do not need to contact medical control. I think what you are saying is they have to be part of an organization under the control of medical direction, but that is where Good Sam comes in. They can work outside their area as long as they follow protocol and act in good faith. They can't be licensed without being under the purvue of an organization, though, and if they aren't licensed, they could get into muddy (and hot) waters, though it does not necessarily rule out being able to perform the procedure.

Are you 'sure as shootin' sure about this? Are you sure about this if you were visting the state of FLA? Who would provide your malpractice insurance in Fla? Considering you have suggested naming the good samaritan doctor, I guess you would be fine with yourself being named too?

you guys are brutal... he was just clarifying a statement made... and apologized ahead of time if anybody took offense

his statements are totally logical... most doctors that run up and shout, "I'm a doctor" more than likely do not have proper trauma training... the poster that took exception to his statements happens to have combat trauma experience and should be commended but if anything he should be offended by the doctors that actually DO run up to an emergency scene and shout, "I'm a doctor" when they probaly are not as qualafied as the EMT to perform the necessary procedures...

2009-05-28 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2177533

Champion
New York, NY
maxmattmick - 2009-05-28 7:35 AM

Slugger John, you've got some stuff right and some stuff wrong in here. First, most paramedics get doctors away from the scene asap. Standard joke is that if someone runs up to a scene and says, "I'm a doctor!" you say, "Great, go direct traffic." Paramedics have a higher level of training in the field - they trump doctors. As in, if a doc runs up and tries to take over for advanced care, the medic MUST say no. As an EMT-B, *I* trump doctors in the field! Now, if the MD was also an EMT-I or medic, that'd be different.

This is a generalization. You seem to have some issues with physicians no? Past bad experiences? I see no reason to deride one group. Your statement speaks for itself I guess when you say "go direct traffic"

Second, a paramedic sure as shootin' could get out of their car with an IV bag and start a line, as long as they do everything right. They do not need to contact medical control. I think what you are saying is they have to be part of an organization under the control of medical direction, but that is where Good Sam comes in. They can work outside their area as long as they follow protocol and act in good faith. They can't be licensed without being under the purvue of an organization, though, and if they aren't licensed, they could get into muddy (and hot) waters, though it does not necessarily rule out being able to perform the procedure.

Are you 'sure as shootin' sure about this? Are you sure about this if you were visting the state of FLA? Who would provide your malpractice insurance in Fla? Considering you have suggested naming the good samaritan doctor, I guess you would be fine with yourself being named too?

you guys are brutal... he was just clarifying a statement made... and apologized ahead of time if anybody took offense

his statements are totally logical... most doctors that run up and shout, "I'm a doctor" more than likely do not have proper trauma training... the poster that took exception to his statements happens to have combat trauma experience and should be commended but if anything he should be offended by the doctors that actually DO run up to an emergency scene and shout, "I'm a doctor" when they probaly are not as qualafied as the EMT to perform the necessary procedures...

well gee my board certification is only family medicine, but I am ATLS (trauma), ACLS and PALS certified.  I am also wilderness medicine trained.  But gee I guess since I am not a trauma surgeon with combat experience I should just go direct traffic.
2009-05-28 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2177550

Master
Malvern, PA

TriToy - 2009-05-28 7:47 AM

well gee my board certification is only family medicine, but I am ATLS (trauma), ACLS and PALS certified.  I am also wilderness medicine trained.  But gee I guess since I am not a trauma surgeon with combat experience I should just go direct traffic.

again... you're not the doctor he was talking about... are you really that offended? I think he AND I are talking about the pediatrician or ENT or podiatrist or opthamologist or even the neurosurgeon that hasn't seen trauma in years and just automatically assumes that they know more than the EMT that HAS been trained to treat IMMEDIATELY while waiting for the appropriate parties to arrive or until they can get the patient to the proper facilities...

I can't believe you guys can't see that he wasn't referring to docs like you or the Army surgeon...

Edited by maxmattmick 2009-05-28 6:55 AM
2009-05-28 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2175921

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
This hijack is ridiculous.

So we're complaining about doctors that shout "I'm a doctor" and offer assistance when someone needs it.

Really?

Really?

Give me a break.
2009-05-28 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2177560

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
newleaf - 2009-05-28 7:56 AM This hijack is ridiculous.

So we're complaining about doctors that shout "I'm a doctor" and offer assistance when someone needs it.

Really?

Really?

Give me a break.

LOL, not sure this thread has been on track for quite some time.  But some interesting discussions about various things though. 
2009-05-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2177578

Master
Malvern, PA

dalessit - 2009-05-28 8:04 AM
newleaf - 2009-05-28 7:56 AM This hijack is ridiculous.

Really?

Really?

Give me a break.

LOL, not sure this thread has been on track for quite some time.  But some interesting discussions about various things though. 

not been on track since like...    PAGE 1?

definitely interesting opinions, huh?

2009-05-28 8:13 AM

2009-05-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2177558

Champion
New York, NY
Doctors have more training to recognize cardiac issues (the prevailing theory of increased deaths in the swim are that an irregularity occurs  - conduction or electrical - but rather than pass out and breathe you are face down in the water) and potentially get the appropriate treatment going.

So rather than tell an MD to go direct traffic maybe see if they can HELP.  Do you really think 4 years of med school and 3-12 years of residency/fellowship plus how ever many years of practice is useless????

after this thread I WILL think twice about offering aid I can tell you that!  If people really think the doc should be sued!

Edited by TriToy 2009-05-28 8:56 AM
2009-05-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2177834

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
TriToy - 2009-05-28 9:55 AM Doctors have more training to recognize cardiac issues (the prevailing theory of increased deaths in the swim are that an irregularity occurs  - conduction or electrical - but rather than pass out and breathe you are face down in the water) and potentially get the appropriate treatment going.

So rather than tell an MD to go direct traffic maybe see if they can HELP.  Do you really think 4 years of med school and 3-12 years of residency/fellowship plus how ever many years of practice is useless????

after this thread I WILL think twice about offering aid I can tell you that!  If people really think the doc should be sued!

If you see me injured at a race, please come help.    You too, Fred.
2009-05-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2177523

maxmattmick - 2009-05-28 6:22 AM

DrPete - 2009-05-27 10:05 PM

Fight Club

What if it were something the race organizers had control over? How about if everyone watching you drown on the swim were untrained and didn't do anything?

COME ON... now you're just picking at things... where does it stop? At what point do you determine what they could and could not control? At what point do you determine that "everyone" watching you drown isn't trained enough?

I think the point of this whole thread is that there is a huge GRAY area (and lawyers are there to determine whether it's more black or more white) but I think most of us are willing to concede that the GRAY area exists and it may some day cost us our life...

But isn't the point of the lawsuit to determine whether the gray area should have existed? Maybe it should have and maybe it shouldn't have, but the point of the lawsuit is to determine whether the particular gray area that led to this guy's death should be there or not.

There's this notion that there shouldn't be regulation, which is fine if those organizations that don't want to be regulated are willing to accept the consequences of acting with a freer hand. Yet at the same time, those people screaming for no regs also scream if anyone tries to use the only channel available to them to find out if extreme events were caused by the lack of regulation. At a certain point the screaming becomes hysteria.
2009-05-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2177558

Pro
Vestavia Hills
When did this topic become about you guys?

... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

maxmattmick - 2009-05-28 7:54 AM

TriToy - 2009-05-28 7:47 AM

again... you're not the doctor he was talking about... are you really that offended? I think he AND I are talking about the pediatrician or ENT or podiatrist or opthamologist or even the neurosurgeon that hasn't seen trauma in years and just automatically assumes that they know more than the EMT that HAS been trained to treat IMMEDIATELY while waiting for the appropriate parties to arrive or until they can get the patient to the proper facilities...

I can't believe you guys can't see that he wasn't referring to docs like you or the Army surgeon...

2009-05-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2177486

New Haven, CT
PennState - 2009-05-28 6:41 AM

MacMadame - 2009-05-28 3:02 AM

KSH - 2009-05-27 8:03 PM Per the article I read via the link posted... it's $75,000.... not $15,000.

The filing document says 15,000.

I'm going to tell you that whatever $$$ they list is not actually going to be the limit. They may seek other damages. Can a lawyer help me here??? Or am I totally wrong?

In connecticut you only state "the amount in demand is in excess of $15,000 exclusive of interest, costs and fees" to access the regular civil docket (under $15,000 is a version of small claims).  While possible it is unlikely they are only suing for $15,000 in a death case.
2009-05-28 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2177465

Champion
Dallas, TX
MacMadame - 2009-05-28 2:02 AM

KSH - 2009-05-27 8:03 PMĀ Per the article I read via the link posted... it's $75,000.... not $15,000.

The filing document says 15,000.

The second link provided on page 1... states this:

The lawsuit is seeking an unspecified amount of money more than $75,000.

2009-05-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2177852

2009-05-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2177834

Master
Wilmington
TriToy - 2009-05-28 8:55 AM Doctors have more training to recognize cardiac issues (the prevailing theory of increased deaths in the swim are that an irregularity occurs  - conduction or electrical - but rather than pass out and breathe you are face down in the water) and potentially get the appropriate treatment going.

DOC we need you no matter what people say.  All the time and effort you put into saving lifes and caring for peoples medical needs is appriciated a great deal. PLus you a Mchottie(what abonus).
2009-05-28 10:14 AM

Regular
Novi, MI
Wow!  Gotta love a sue happy society.

As for the "I'm a Doc" hijack...it's scary to think that with all the education, experience and training, you still find it necessary to bicker about who is better at saving lives. 

Get a ruler and measure it.

2009-05-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2177426

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Slugger - 2009-05-27 9:42 PM
John, you've got some stuff right and some stuff wrong in here. First, most paramedics get doctors away from the scene asap. Standard joke is that if someone runs up to a scene and says, "I'm a doctor!" you say, "Great, go direct traffic." Paramedics have a higher level of training in the field - they trump doctors. As in, if a doc runs up and tries to take over for advanced care, the medic MUST say no. As an EMT-B, *I* trump doctors in the field! Now, if the MD was also an EMT-I or medic, that'd be different.

Really? An EMT-B trumps a doc in the field? That must be new, that was most definitely NOT the case when I was a practicing medic and ambulance jockey. I'd make damned sure of that, because if you have a patient die because you told someone that ID'd themselves as a doctor to go direct traffic, I'm pretty sure your azz would be hanging out in the breeze.

Again, wasn't the case when I was a practicing medic. A paramedic in his civilian car without access to medical control, etc. is basically at the level of an EMT basic as far as what they can do.

As an aside, whether or not EMT-Is can intubate is a state-by-state reg. EMT-Bs can do a form of intubation. "Intubation," in this case, is a little vague and could mean a couple different things.

Sorry, just wanted to clear some of that up. Totally agree that they should have named the doc. Heck yeah. And I would imagine she thought about that as she responded.

Yeah, I found out that DC/VA allows intubation, but I haven't checked to see if it's what I'm thinking of when I say intubation (tube placed into the trachea and bagged).

John
2009-05-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2177484

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
PennState - 2009-05-28 3:40 AM

Slugger .

Sorry, just wanted to clear some of that up. Totally agree that they should have named the doc. Heck yeah. And I would imagine she thought about that as she responded.

Yes, this is an ideal suggestion. Why don't we sue the 'good samaritan' doctor. This ought to bring out the best in future situations with doctors who are spectating events. Excellent thought.

You 'totally agree' they should have named the doc. That is just irresponsible. The doctor was a spectator who offered help. What sort of precident would this set?

I didn't say that they SHOULD have named the doc, I was just surprised that they DIDN'T. Although, I reread the complaint filed and the last section is a blanket "Any other entity or person", so they hedge their bets. From what I've seen, filings generally name every person they can think of that might have exposure, and then somewhere in pretrial they narrow it down to the actual named defendants, but I am not a lawyer.

And for everyone bickering about the $$$, just read people. The first paragraph of the complaint says they are seeking damages IN EXCESS of $15,000. That could be any number from 15,000.01 to many millions.

John
2009-05-28 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2178068

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
PennState - 2009-05-28 7:59 AM

newleaf - 2009-05-28 10:01 AM
TriToy - 2009-05-28 9:55 AM Doctors have more training to recognize cardiac issues (the prevailing theory of increased deaths in the swim are that an irregularity occurs  - conduction or electrical - but rather than pass out and breathe you are face down in the water) and potentially get the appropriate treatment going.

If you see me injured at a race, please come help.    You too, Fred.

I got your back... I can even fix that achilles thingy too if it becomes a problem... after all I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

See my other post. I'm not suggesting in any way that a doc assisting SHOULD be named in a lawsuit. I've responded several times out of my car when coming across an accident, and been named in a lawsuit twice. Both times tossed due to the Good Sam law because I operated within the scope of my training.

It's fairly standard, though, from what I've seen to name everyone the complainant can think of, and then they leave it up to the judge/jury to determine actual exposure in the suit. (Heck, in one of my two complaints they named the guy that stopped and called 911 on his cell phone as an initial defendant.)

That's why I was surprised initially that they didn't name the doc specifically (if in fact the post was true and she did respond out of the crowd), because I hadn't seen the last section that was a general "other" category.

And no, I wouldn't automatically dismiss a doctor that ID's themselves. I'd be MORE than happy to have you guys jump in (I took a version of the Army CCCC when I was in the AF, so I could be a medic for the pre Ranger training course our base ran, and support the EOD guys when they decluttered the bombing range), and offer your help. I WOULD however clear it with my medical control, and that's more to cover my azz and certifications. Plus, if my incompetence or misaction results in injury/death of a patient, it also exposes the organization I am with and the doctor overseeing it to liability.

John
2009-05-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2178088

Champion
New York, NY
Livestrong191 - 2009-05-28 11:06 AM
TriToy - 2009-05-28 8:55 AM Doctors have more training to recognize cardiac issues (the prevailing theory of increased deaths in the swim are that an irregularity occurs  - conduction or electrical - but rather than pass out and breathe you are face down in the water) and potentially get the appropriate treatment going.

DOC we need you no matter what people say.  All the time and effort you put into saving lifes and caring for peoples medical needs is appriciated a great deal. PLus you a Mchottie(what abonus).

lmao - maybe that is what would revive the person!!!

and I am with Fred - got your back!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Rss Feed  

of 9