General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I pick the right bike shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-28 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: How do I pick the right bike shoes?

I got a bike from my dad that has clip in type pedals and so I went to the LBS to try on shoes.   However, all of the shoes seemed to have some slipping in the heel.  When I go a size smaller they are too tight in the toe box and my toe touches the end.  When I go the next size up...my heels slip up as I walk around the store.  I tried on 4-5 different types of shoes and they all seemed to be as I described above.  I like the feel of the Garneau tri air 2.  They were super easy to slip on and had some flexibility, but I am afraid to get blisters.  Am I better off just buying regular pedals and wearing my running shoes?

Help!  This newbie knows nothing about biking!!!

2009-05-28 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2180081

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: How do I pick the right bike shoes?

Not sure how much you are looking to spend but I have the Specialized S-Works shoes and they are great! They have a BOA enclosure system that keeps the heel very secure. If you haven't tried them I would recommend giving them a shot.
2009-05-28 10:48 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Take a deep breath!

Buying bike shoes from a fit point of view is a lot like buying any other type of shoe! So a little give in the heel is ok but you dont want it to slip off your feet.... firm across the toes is fine but you dont want it cutting off curculation.

I would say ifyou found a pair you like the feel of as youmentioend above go with them. Start off wearing socks if you are blister prone too!

If you are REALLY worried take your bike in tothe shop and ask them if you can try the shoes and whatthey feel like while riding on the trainer... you might need to arrange a non-busy time with them to do it but they should oblige!

2009-05-29 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Your foot will expand when it gets warm, so take that into consideration. Also, determine what kind of shoes you want; tri or road shoes.
2009-05-29 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

My philosophy is always to buy the cheapest gear when you're new to anything.  Once you're more experienced you'll have a better idea of what you need and want.  Go with the Garneaus if you like them, but go with something cheaper if you have serious doubts.  I doubt you'll get blisters with the Garneaus.

I'm going on three years on the cheapest tri shoes from www.performancebike.com, maybe $65 at the time.  They still work just fine.  This winter I'll probably get something different since my current tri shoes with thick wool socks are very uncomfortable. 

Brian

2009-05-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2180566

User image

Master
Wilmington
famelec - 2009-05-29 8:42 AM

My philosophy is always to buy the cheapest gear when you're new to anything.  Once you're more experienced you'll have a better idea of what you need and want.  Go with the Garneaus if you like them, but go with something cheaper if you have serious doubts.  I doubt you'll get blisters with the Garneaus.

I'm going on three years on the cheapest tri shoes from www.performancebike.com, maybe $65 at the time.  They still work just fine.  This winter I'll probably get something different since my current tri shoes with thick wool socks are very uncomfortable. 

Brian

I agree I am new to the sport myself  and thats what I did. I bought everything I needed cheap or on huge discounts at the end of the tri season last year. As I get better and go faster I might look into getting better alittle bit more comfy gear but my gear works great and does its the job very well. I bought all my tri-gear( tri short-tops, shoes) from New Zealand because of the exchange rate I payed 50% less than I would in the USA. Plus if you buy a certain amount  they ship it free and a 6 week wait and BAM you got mail. 

2009-05-29 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
When buying running shoes, I like to look for the previous year model of the pair I want on line.  It sometimes takes a bit of searching for my size, but I can usually pick up a pair or two at a decent discount.

I just used this same philosophy for my first pair of bike shoes.  I really liked the Shimano SH-TR31 at my LBS.  They were asking $120/pair. 

I found the SH-TR30's in my size online for $65.00 with shipping.  I'm hoping they arrive today so I can break them in during tomorrow's BR-ick.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I pick the right bike shoes? Rss Feed