General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having triathlon dreams.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-18 4:15 PM

New user
Gilbert, Arizona
Subject: Having triathlon dreams....
Okay...I have my first tri on Sunday. I had my first bad dream last night. I dreamed that I missed my start for the swim. Then, I didn't swim the full length of the pool before turning around and I had to go back and do the lap over again. THEN, I was talking to my husband after the swim and missed my transition to the bike. Most every one had gone onto the bike part, and I totally missed it. So, after missing that, I gave up and went home not even attempting the run.

I think I need to hurry up and get this first one out of the way so I can make my mistakes, cross the finish line (even if I am last) and be done with it!!

Sarah

2005-04-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: #144125

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: RE: Having triathlon dreams....
I've had 2 or 3 dreams where I am falling off my bike , but I always jump and wake myself up before I hit the ground.

Good luck on your first tri. My first tri is in 2 weeks.
2005-04-18 4:56 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
I am SO glad I'm not the only one!! This morning I had some bizarre combination of dreams, where anxiety about the tri melded itself neatly into my usual i'm-anxious-about-something dream (wherein I for some reason have to go back to high school even tho I graduated long, long ago). So I showed up back at the dorms and then realized that my first tri was tomorrow, and I didn't have my wetsuit, swimsuit, bike, running shoes, nothing. So I was freaking out really bad that I'd have to miss the race because I didn't have any of my gear and was way far away from the race location and... *sigh* it was just a frantic, I'm-not-ready dream.

OTOH, awhile back I had a dream where I got thrown off a boat into a river, and instead of freaking, I was like "Oh, excellent, OW swim practice!" and suddenly there were other people in the river swimming with me, which was pretty cool.

Yes, my subconscious mind is a strange place. :P
2005-04-18 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Yup......had one a week ago. Thought it was just my fear of failing, but I now think of it differently.

I was winning the race through the second transition and halfway into the run (definately dreaming). Up to this point it was a great dream. Then I realized that I left my race belt with my numbers back at the second transition. Decision time......quit -or- run back and get the numbers then finish. In my dream I ran back grabbed the belt and finished in "last" place.

I now interpret it as.......an extension of my never-give-up attitude!
2005-04-18 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Maine

My first tri is just under three weeks away, but I've already had dreams about it. The latest one was Saturday morning. I was in transition and couldn't find my race belt.  Also, I looked up and my bike had been racked up by the ceiling (I guess I was in some kind of gym) and I couldn't get it down. Then there was the one where I was running and feeling great, but then it dawned on me that I had forgotten to do the swim or the bike.  I guess that last one makes a little more sense when you realize that I've done many running races, but no tris.

So, bottom line, you are not alone with the tri dreams, it's all perfectly normal (right?).

2005-04-18 8:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kochi, Japan
I had a dream last night that I was doing an ocean swim against some friends, but when I hit the water it was actually small rocks that you could swimm through ( I just had to keep my stroke a bit shallow)! I felt like I wasn`t going anywhere, but in the end, I ended up cruising to the finish with a finish time of just under 20 min for a mile.

2005-04-18 8:38 PM

User image

Regular
Adelaide, South Australia
You dreamers!!!

Nothing to worry about. Anxiety is something there just to make us ask ourselves if we are ready for the fight. And I'm sure you all have nothing to worry about. Use the negative aspect of your dreams as a positive. Use the bad things to remind yourself to train for those things, whether it be the swim, bike, run or transition.

When you look back across the finish line, with the race behind you, you will laugh at how silly the dreams were. Go out there and kick butt!!! (first few races, it's usually your own!!! hehehe)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having triathlon dreams.... Rss Feed