General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peroneal Tendon Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-29 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Peroneal Tendon Injury
A few days ago, on mile 10 of a 13 mile run, I started feeling a slight discomfort in the outside part of the left foot just under the bony protrusion of my ankle bone. It didn't get worse, but I didn't run on it for 2 days. Then yesterday, doing some intervals, the pain came back, only it got a lot worse. So much that I had to cut the run short and walk part of the way back. I iced it for 20 minutes last night.

Today, walking and running on it now cause a sharp pain in the area. Pushing off with the ball of my foot causes the most pain. After poking around on some med sites, the only thing I can find about this area is the peroneal tendon. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of injury or area of the foot/ankle and how to treat it?

2009-05-29 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2180982

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Peroneal Tendon Injury

Definitely sounds like peroneal. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you're probably better off not running until you can run pain-free. Whether it's tendonitis or a tear, this is probably your best bet. I went to physical therapy for mine...was also forced to do 42% of my IM run training in a deep-water pool because of it. Take care of it before it becomes more serious. It seems like it can become serious rather quickly.

Mine came on in the oddest way. I went for a 60' run in the morning and everything felt fine during the run and after the run. Then, at the end of the work day (like 10 hrs later), I stood up at my desk, got a shooting pain in my foot, and that was the end of it for me. I did try a run on it after that, but that was a bad idea. My docs still don't understand how I was able to run completely pain-free that AM. So, just be careful. Best of luck to you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peroneal Tendon Injury Rss Feed